Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Mar 20, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #661 of 2,850
Halasz plays with tremendous feeling and virtuosity. Excellent sound, though I'm not a fan of his type of guitar, a Matthias Dammann "double-top." 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #662 of 2,850
  Halasz plays with tremendous feeling and virtuosity. Excellent sound, though I'm not a fan of his type of guitar, a Matthias Dammann "double-top." 

Piazzola's Tangos are quite musical. I have the CD from Dutoit/Montreal:

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #665 of 2,850
While we're mentioning some of the "Lighter" Music, here's one that I never get tired of listening to

It's another Tony Faulkner engineered recording, so there's really isn't much need to talk about the SQ (It's excellent ; for those who don't follow which RE's have great track records for consistency in their work)

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #666 of 2,850
In honor of Bach's birthday:

(on the piano)

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #668 of 2,850

I'm jealous.
The best mezzo alive. She's my favorite. I have 5 of her CDs. The best sounding one is "Meditation", great for late night.

Especially for you
wink.gif
:

Not too bad for a cell phone shot ...
I usually don't do this but as everybody else was snapping away even with cameras and people walking in front of the stage to take a better shot, I thought ok, I grab a shot too.
redface.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #669 of 2,850
A superb 2-disc set of all of Hoppstock's Bach recordings, made from 1979-2001. The sound varies, of course, but it's never less than good, and his playing is just stunning.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #670 of 2,850

Especially for you
wink.gif
:

Not too bad for a cell phone shot ...
I usually don't do this but as everybody else was snapping away even with cameras and people walking in front of the stage to take a better shot, I thought ok, I grab a shot too.
redface.gif

Thanks! Very nice shot.

I saw Elina at the Wiener Staatsoper in 2013, as Carmen. With Roberto Alagna. Quite a performance of one of my two fav operas (Don Giovanni's the other). Spectacular set.

Off to snooze. Long day.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #671 of 2,850
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.  I asked this question in the main Oppo PM-3 thread, but haven't gotten a response.  Does anyone here use the PM-3s to listen to classical music on a train or a plane?  The PM-3 is supposed to have very good isolation for closed-back phones, but that is the acid test, and in my experience I need either IEMs or noise-cancelling phones to enjoy a symphony on a plane.  Maybe I could get away with the Oppos on a train.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #672 of 2,850
  Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.  I asked this question in the main Oppo PM-3 thread, but haven't gotten a response.  Does anyone here use the PM-3s to listen to classical music on a train or a plane?  The PM-3 is supposed to have very good isolation for closed-back phones, but that is the acid test, and in my experience I need either IEMs or noise-cancelling phones to enjoy a symphony on a plane.  Maybe I could get away with the Oppos on a train.

I haven't used closed-backs for travel in a long time. Tired of them, and the isolation was never great, even with my old Bose NC phones. I really like IEMs -- they seal perfectly (non-custom) and from an iPod Classic, the sound is excellent on the plane. Plus, they are weightless to carry around in my bag/pocket! My IEMs are Focal Sphear and Nocs-500.

https://www.focal.com/en/headphones/headphones/sphear/sphear
http://nocs.se/products/ns500-aluminum

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #673 of 2,850

I haven't used closed-backs for travel in a long time. Tired of them, and the isolation was never great, even with my old Bose NC phones. I really like IEMs -- they seal perfectly (non-custom) and from an iPod Classic, the sound is excellent on the plane. Plus, they are weightless to carry around in my bag/pocket! My IEMs are Focal Sphear and Nocs-500.

https://www.focal.com/en/headphones/headphones/sphear/sphear
http://nocs.se/products/ns500-aluminum

IEMs are certainly the best.  I've owned Etymotics for many years and recently picked up a pair of Hifiman RE-400s as the isolation of the Etymotics was so good I didn't like walking the streets of NYC wearing them (great for the subway though). 

Still the Oppos look appealing.  I doubt they would work in a plane, but maybe on a train.  My vacation this summer is built around train travel from Halifax to Vancouver.  That includes three days crossing the plains . . .  Gonna need some tunes.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #674 of 2,850
  A superb 2-disc set of all of Hoppstock's Bach recordings, made from 1979-2001. The sound varies, of course, but it's never less than good, and his playing is just stunning.

I know this is probably a bit out of the realm of taking about the Music, but is this the same Christophorus label that is more known for their well recorded Jazz realeases ?

Or am I thinking of another Label

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #675 of 2,850

Still the Oppos look appealing.  I doubt they would work in a plane, but maybe on a train.  My vacation this summer is built around train travel from Halifax to Vancouver.  That includes three days crossing the plains . . .  Gonna need some tunes.

Great trip. Nice to see a Yank do Canada cost-to-coast.

Getting a good seal with a closed is hard, for me at least. My fav closed is the MDR-1R -- very comfy (better than even the HD650) and the sound is sooooo smooth and embracing. Nice case comes with it, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back