Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,171 of 2,850
Tennstedt's Mahler cycle with the Lond Phil?
Anybody heard it and can recommend it (or not)?

SQ wise not the greatest but wonderful musically, I would recommend it to anyone interested in Mahler.

Perahia's Beethoven is not for me, like his Mozart though..

I only buy cd's and lp's so buying digital files are no option for me .. I'll buy Leonskaja's complete Schubert box first and I think I'll buy the other one somewhere in the near future

Going through another Beethoven SQ fase right now, listening to Lindsays live recordings.. u n b e l i e v a b l e

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,172 of 2,850
SQ wise they are good. relaxed warm analog sound even some of them are digital recordings. no digital harshness. all with hd650 out of Luxman rig.

Thanks, Pokey. Hope you're doing well.
I have multiple sets -- Brendel, Kempff, Pollini, Nat, Annie Fischer, Gilels, to name a few. I never pictured Perahia as a Beethoven giant, but I could be wrong. He's more of a Mozartian. And also Schubert, at least the late D.958-960 sonatas. Pretty good.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #1,173 of 2,850
SQ wise not the greatest but wonderful musically, I would recommend it to anyone interested in Mahler.

Going tgrough another Beethoven SQ fase right now, listening to Lindsays live recordings.. u n b e l i e v a b l e

The Cleveland Q did a fabulous-sounding round of Beeth quartets.
Thanx for the rec on Tennstedt. I have his Mahler #1-5 on CDs. Resisting his #6-9 (never cared for the pompous #8 ever). His live #2 (BBC rec) is supposedly sublime. Oh well...I prefer Solti/LSO and Bernstein/NYP '87 for that one.

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #1,174 of 2,850
I'll
The Cleveland Q did a fabulous-sounding round of Beeth quartets.
Thanx for the rec on Tennstedt. I have his Mahler #1-5 on CDs. Resisting his #6-9 (never cared for the pompous #8 ever). His live #2 (BBC rec) is supposedly sublime. Oh well...I prefer Solti/LSO and Bernstein/NYP '87 for that one.

I'm gonna check Cleveland out, thanks..I love Mahler's 8th, but only the Faust part..

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #1,177 of 2,850
How does a live album differs from a normal one? I have one of hilliard live: for ockghem

For me, there are at least two important diffs between a live vs a studio recorded album:

1. Spontaneity and risk-taking (on the part of the artists). Lots in live rec, iffy in studio.
2. Less slick with live. More polished (hopefully) with studio (because the engineers can do several "takes" or sessions before the final product is made).

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,178 of 2,850
I just ordered this box from a local dealer. 15-LPs brand new.

https://www.sonyclassical.com/releases/88985389241

bernstein_conducts_m_cover_750x750_88985389241_en.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back