Classical music discussion, what do you like?

Discussion in 'Music' started by quinto, Oct 22, 2016.
First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last
  1. Quinto
    SQ wise not the greatest but wonderful musically, I would recommend it to anyone interested in Mahler.

Perahia's Beethoven is not for me, like his Mozart though..

I only buy cd's and lp's so buying digital files are no option for me .. I'll buy Leonskaja's complete Schubert box first and I think I'll buy the other one somewhere in the near future

Going through another Beethoven SQ fase right now, listening to Lindsays live recordings.. u n b e l i e v a b l e

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    CanadianMaestro likes this.
  2. CanadianMaestro
    Thanks, Pokey. Hope you're doing well.
    I have multiple sets -- Brendel, Kempff, Pollini, Nat, Annie Fischer, Gilels, to name a few. I never pictured Perahia as a Beethoven giant, but I could be wrong. He's more of a Mozartian. And also Schubert, at least the late D.958-960 sonatas. Pretty good.

Pokemonn likes this.
  3. CanadianMaestro
    The Cleveland Q did a fabulous-sounding round of Beeth quartets.
    Thanx for the rec on Tennstedt. I have his Mahler #1-5 on CDs. Resisting his #6-9 (never cared for the pompous #8 ever). His live #2 (BBC rec) is supposedly sublime. Oh well...I prefer Solti/LSO and Bernstein/NYP '87 for that one.

4. Quinto
    I'll
    I'm gonna check Cleveland out, thanks..I love Mahler's 8th, but only the Faust part..

5. CanadianMaestro
    Probably perfect for you.

:ksc75smile:

Quinto likes this.
  6. gerelmx1986
    How does a live album differs from a normal one? I have one of hilliard live: for ockghem

7. CanadianMaestro
    For me, there are at least two important diffs between a live vs a studio recorded album:

1. Spontaneity and risk-taking (on the part of the artists). Lots in live rec, iffy in studio.
    2. Less slick with live. More polished (hopefully) with studio (because the engineers can do several "takes" or sessions before the final product is made).

8. CanadianMaestro
    Pokemonn and Quinto like this.
  9. Pokemonn
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  10. CanadianMaestro
    Franz Schubert, 1797-Nov 19 1828.

Too soon.

schub.jpg

11. Quinto
    I'll listen to (Quatuor Mosaiques') op.131 (last music he heard) today and think of Schubbie, thanks for the reminder

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  12. CanadianMaestro
    D.664 1st mvt, and Quintet in C's adagio today.

13. gerelmx1986
    My second live album purchase
    Folder.jpg

14. Pokemonn
    lovely...

15. Quinto
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Pokemonn, Ojisan and CanadianMaestro like this.
First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89
Next

Last