Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #318 of 454
Gramophone had a behind the scenes rehearsal video from the Alban Berg Lulu section of this album and I watched it at least ten times while it was still online.
Barbara Hannigan has also got a some interesting -Mozart arias online over at the GSO LIVE site. Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra which are good.
She is a very fascinating singer /Conductor.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #319 of 454
David Bruce's The Shadow of the Blackbird, world premier May 2011
James Matheson’s Windows, world premier May 2017 on this album

Bruce Levingston: Windows, Sono Luminus, DXD 352.8kHz 24 bit

Playing and engineering at a high standard

SL_92218.jpg

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #324 of 454
i am sorry i dont know. i just did copy and paste from youtube...
OK ,thanks anyway for turning my attention to a work I had not played for years.
I have a double SACD set from Chandos of a live concert recording that I have now listened to a couple of times again after hearing the first few bars on your posted version.
Imho it is a somewhat old-fashioned work that I would not really count as contemporary from a musical point of view. Yes it was composed in the 1930s, but the music looks more back in time than forward.
Schmidt was a conservative contemporary of both Mahler and Schönberg, Alban Berg and Webern who composed more modern contemporary music than both his symphony and this work.
Hearing it again was a bit like listening to a later version of Brahm's Ein Deutsches Reguiem or Elgar's The Dream of Geronthius.
Nice tunes and some good climaxes here and there, and the live Chandos recording is good and very realistic, but since I am not a Christian I found the religious declamation of it all a bit boring at times.
Cheers Christer

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #329 of 454
Not really in direct response to the previous post. But Prom 33 starts with a very interesting contemporary work by Thea Musgrave composed in 1998 when she was 70!
The main work of this concert is Brahms's Ein Deutshes Requiem which I still haven't listened to, but Thea Musgrave's Phoenix Rising as curtain riser is quite something!
I have already replayed it 5 times since it was broadcast.
And also via my Qutest DAC and Benchmark headphone amp and HEKV2 or Sennhesier HD800, surprisingly well recorded by the BBC RADIO 3 team imo.
Prom 33: Brahms's A German Requiem
BBC Proms, 2018
Cheers Christer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back