Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Sep 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #335 of 454
Quatour pour le fin du temps is an extraordinary composition. I agree is is the most "movable" Messiaen; but his orchestral works are also very inspiring... Did not choose with the dedication required, etc - but here it is :

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #336 of 454
Quatour pour le fin du temps is an extraordinary composition. I agree is is the most "movable" Messiaen; but his orchestral works are also very inspiring... Did not choose with the dedication required, etc - but here it is :

Thanks for the contribution to the thread. Some of his orchestral works are indeed fascinating IMO but I don`t connect like with Quatour.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #337 of 454
I love Xenakis. This is the piece that initiated me to his world:

Hmm not exactly like looking at a typical Mozart score where elegance and beauty is so obvious just from looking at it.
This one looks a bit spiky to say the least.
And sure enough, the first few bars sounded like I imagined it from just looking at the notation.
A bit like a mix between a loud agressive wasp and the chainsaw I resort to with my firewood when the logs are too big for me to handle with a handsaw.
I'll give it a try, but later.
Not exactly how I want to set the tone for a new day.
Cheers Christer

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #338 of 454
Hmm not exactly like looking at a typical Mozart score where elegance and beauty is so obvious just from looking at it.
And sure enough, the first few bars sounded like I imagined it from just looking at the notation.
A bit like a mix between a loud agressive wasp and the chainsaw I resort to with my firewood when the logs are too big for me to handle with a handsaw.
Cheers Christer

This thread has nothing to do with Mozart by definition.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #341 of 454
Cheers Christer
You know, now that you mention it, despite the spikiness, etc, I think the score is wonderfully elegant and aesthetically beautiful from a purely visual perspective as well. Remarkably precise and elucidating as well. In fact, when I first heard this 25years ago and had no access to the score I just couldn't comprehend how in hell anything that sounded like this could be written out. After seeing it for the first time recently It seems completely clear, concise and even beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back