Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Mar 27, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #302 of 454
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #303 of 454
Andriessen - Workers Union, bang on a can

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #305 of 454
Stephen Hartke 'Caoine' played by Michelle Makarsky - good album too.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #306 of 454
Hello Everyone!
Let me join to this thread which helped me a lot and show you some of my contemporary classical favorites that haven't been mentioned until now.
My first take is Sofia Gubaidulina, who is a Tatar-Russian composer.
Her "The Canticle of The Sun" has a treasured place on my list.
front.jpg
Above the fantastic presentation, the mastering was exceptionally made as well. It has an average dynamic range of 18 (DR 15-21)

May 29, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #308 of 454
The video is the last few minutes of this dazzling concerto, I saw her perform it live two weeks ago and it was one of the most exciting live classical music experiences of my life.

Patricia Kopatchinskaja is one of the most unique contemporary violin players. Her Schubert: Death and the Maiden adaptation has a secured place in my favorite music collection. The other tracks are very well assorted in this album which, together with the good recording and mastering provides a special experience for the open-minded listener

cover.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #311 of 454
Once again the fabulous Patricia together with Maestro Gidon Kramer and the Kremerata Baltica as they have performed Giya Kanceli's beautifully mysterious and intensely dramatic compositions Chiaroscuro and Twilight.
I got goosebumps whenever I start this fantastic album which was brilliantly recorded by Manfred Eicher and his team. (The standard redbook version has a dynamic range of 17! It's a very intense test for your headphones and other elements of the listening chain.)
If you like Arvo Part, Henryk Górecki, Philip Glass, or modernist, minimalist yet traditionalists classical music and heart-rending violin play, you definitely have to check this album out.
cover.jpg
Unfortunately I haven't found any youtube link, but you can listen to this album on spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/4RjSaeBvLs0OOHZrcgBfRt

P.s.: @Nik74 I almost forgot how hauntingly beautiful is this Schnittke: Requiem, Thanks for reminding me!

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #312 of 454
Once again the fabulous Patricia together with Maestro Gidon Kramer and the Kremerata Baltica as they have performed Giya Kanceli's beautifully mysterious and intensely dramatic compositions Chiaroscuro and Twilight.
I got goosebumps whenever I start this fantastic album which was brilliantly recorded by Manfred Eicher and his team. (The standard redbook version has a dynamic range of 17! It's a very intense test for your headphones and other elements of the listening chain.)
If you like Arvo Part, Henryk Górecki, Philip Glass, or modernist, minimalist yet traditionalists classical music and heart-rending violin play, you definitely have to check this album out.

Unfortunately I haven't found any youtube link, but you can listen to this album on spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/4RjSaeBvLs0OOHZrcgBfRt

P.s.: @Nik74 I almost forgot how hauntingly beautiful is this Schnittke: Requiem, Thanks for reminding me!

Thanks for this suggestion! I'm previewing now, and if I decide to buy it, Qobuz has it in 24/96.

May 31, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #313 of 454

Another favourite of mine by Schnittke, this is probably not the best mastered recording but I love the huge accoustic and how it makes the long, slow musical phrases flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back