Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Feb 20, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #152 of 454
  Oops, wrong thread.

basshead.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #157 of 454
  The two pieces below have a similar concept: piano commenting on audio soundbites.  One of them I found fascinating; the other wears out its welcome before long:

While neither of these pieces appeal to me (
redface.gif
) they reminded me of this:

This piece I like some things about but "theater" elements often elude me....

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #160 of 454
I've been listening to the Ligeti Project box for the last week, and decided to get the Sony box to go with it which should be arriving tomorrow.

This is the first time I have felt compelled to listen to the entire output of a composer from the later half of the 20c. His work is, so far, always interesting and often exceptional.

Favourites are obviously the large scale micropolyphonic pieces which foreshadow a lot of what I love in more modern avant drone stuff.

The Requiem is a storming piece of music too.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #161 of 454
I've been listening to the Ligeti Project box for the last week, and decided to get the Sony box to go with it which should be arriving tomorrow.

This is the first time I have felt compelled to listen to the entire output of a composer from the later half of the 20c. His work is, so far, always interesting and often exceptional.

Favourites are obviously the large scale micropolyphonic pieces which foreshadow a lot of what I love in more modern avant drone stuff.

The Requiem is a storming piece of music too.

Both of those sets are amazing.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #162 of 454
Both of those sets are amazing.

The second arrived just now, will enjoy delving in this afternoon.

I have only really dabbled in modern composition before. I have a few Terry Riley pieces, about six discs of Messiaen, some exposure to Stockhausen's electronic work, etc, but I feel a real exploration coming on.

I have my eye on a Varese set, some Webern, Xenakis, more of the above mentioned composers.

Any recommendations?

I really appreciate Ligeti's refusal to reject tonality and his stance on the rejection of avant garde dogma. I can hear Chopin's romanticism in quite a few of his pieces, alongside the clusters and serial I fluences.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #163 of 454
I am a big fan of modern/neo classical, which is such a strange term.particularly Steve Reich, Arvo Part, Terry Riley etc, as you can see I am a fan of more minimalist genre.

Having said that there are some superb 21St century composers that are well worth checking out. A lot for some reason are put under the Dance and DJ genre on Amazon, however the arrangements are most classical in their composition.

A few I really enjoy.

A Winged victory for the sullen- absolutely achingly beautiful in its sparsity. It is a collaboration between Dustin o Hallorahan and Adam Wiltzie from Stars of the lid.

Richard Knox - fabulous composer, check out Gizeh records
Rachel's - also a small chamber orchestra playing very minimal music

Other composers:
Nils Frahm
Max Richter
Johan Johansson
Keith Keniff
Christina Vantzou
Rachel Grimes
Julianna Barthwick - layers her voice and is superb
Julia Kent
Olafur Arnolds
Dakota Suite

Just to name but a few.

Most of these composers would cite Ligetti, Gorecki and Glass as influences

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #164 of 454
Thanks for that gibbon, some stuff to dig into there. I already have Max Richter on the list due to the reissue of his record with Robert Wyatt reading from Haruki Murakami.

I'm also definitely up for the Stars of the Lid collaboration; And Their Refinement... is a central record in my musical exploration a few years ago.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #165 of 454
I am a big fan of modern/neo classical, which is such a strange term.particularly Steve Reich, Arvo Part, Terry Riley etc, as you can see I am a fan of more minimalist genre.

Having said that there are some superb 21St century composers that are well worth checking out. A lot for some reason are put under the Dance and DJ genre on Amazon, however the arrangements are most classical in their composition.

A few I really enjoy.

A Winged victory for the sullen- absolutely achingly beautiful in its sparsity. It is a collaboration between Dustin o Hallorahan and Adam Wiltzie from Stars of the lid.

Richard Knox - fabulous composer, check out Gizeh records
Rachel's - also a small chamber orchestra playing very minimal music

Other composers:
Nils Frahm
Max Richter
Johan Johansson
Keith Keniff
Christina Vantzou
Rachel Grimes
Julianna Barthwick - layers her voice and is superb
Julia Kent
Olafur Arnolds
Dakota Suite

Just to name but a few.

Most of these composers would cite Ligetti, Gorecki and Glass as influences

Several months ago (when I resurrected this thread form it`s initial failure) I encouraged folks to post videos (youtube and vimeo )to make this thread a bit of an educational resource.
IMO it would be great if you would post some vids of  your favorite stuff from this list.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back