Classical Contemporary Music Thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #166 of 454
Several months ago (when I resurrected this thread form it`s initial failure) I encouraged folks to post videos (youtube and vimeo )to make this thread a bit of an educational resource.
IMO it would be great if you would post some vids of  your favorite stuff from this list.....

That is certainly a good idea and I shall do that a bit later...

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #167 of 454
That is certainly a good idea and I shall do that a bit later...

smile.gif

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #168 of 454
The first peice I am posting is by Johan Johansson. He scored the soundtrack to The Theory of Everything and SIcario. This first tune is from his debut album that was released on 4AD

The second piece is by A Winged Victory for the Sullen, a collaboration between Dustin O hallorahan and Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie of Stars in the Lid. When I first heard this piece of music, I thought it was the most beautiful piece of music I ever heard, it brought tears to my eyes. It is achingly beautiful in its sparsity. The piece is called Requiem for the Static King part 2. enjoy

The next piece is by RIchard Knox and Frederic D Oberland, it is called Sleeping Land part 1. It is on Richard's label, Gizeh, which is a small independent label in Manchester UK. Well worth checking out if you like post rock or This Mortal Coil.
This actually replaced the AWVFTS as the most beautiful music I ha d ever heard. I was on a train when it came on my DAP and I was just, gone..

Next is Julianna Barwick The Magic Place. She layers her own voice over her own voice with the added bonus of strings.

t I would like to introduce you to Hildur Gudnadottir

Lastly a little known Welsh duo called Moon ate the Dark, also well worth checking out.

Enjoy. I will post some other stuff over the next few days

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #176 of 454
I had absolutely no idea Takemitsu composed the music for Kwaidan (which is a magnificent piece of cinema). I've not listened to much of Takemitsu... however I have watched the movie countless times - where the music is subtle but most effective.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #177 of 454
  I had absolutely no idea Takemitsu composed the music for Kwaidan (which is a magnificent piece of cinema). I've not listened to much of Takemitsu... however I have watched the movie countless times - where the music is subtle but most effective.

Takemitsu was a very prolific and effective film composer. 
Here is  maybe the best example of it.
This is also among the most important Japanese films . 

PERIOD.
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #179 of 454

Takemitsu was a very prolific and effective film composer. 
Here is  maybe the best example of it.
This is also among the most important Japanese films . 

PERIOD.
beerchug.gif

The book is worth a read, even better if you read it prior to watching the film

Users who are viewing this thread

Back