Classic Underpoweredness?
Feb 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xodaQo

New Head-Fier
I got my first real pair of headphones a day or two ago, the Sennheiser HD555.  In the first thirty minutes of using them, I was extremely impressed.  Then my brain began to dissect what I was hearing.  Two days later, I can't listen to them without cringing.  The highs are murdered, the lows are severely lacking and lack any definition.  The mids are so-so, but that's to be expected, considering that they are the easiest to drive, from what I've read.

I believe the problem is that, as of now, I'm running them off of an old Sony laptop's internal amp.  I plan on buying the Fiio E7 as a multipurpose DAC and amp.

Am I cursed with an excellent ear?

Please, no flaming.  I apologize for a possibly unoriginal thread.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 4
Well from what I read it's the other way around, they are not that easy to drive and greatly benefit from an amp but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, an old integrated laptop sound card should be crap no matter how you look a it. By the way, what did you mean by an internal amp on a laptop?

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 4
I got my first real pair of headphones a day or two ago, the Sennheiser HD555.  In the first thirty minutes of using them, I was extremely impressed.  Then my brain began to dissect what I was hearing.  Two days later, I can't listen to them without cringing.  The highs are murdered, the lows are severely lacking and lack any definition.  The mids are so-so, but that's to be expected, considering that they are the easiest to drive, from what I've read.

I believe the problem is that, as of now, I'm running them off of an old Sony laptop's internal amp.  I plan on buying the Fiio E7 as a multipurpose DAC and amp.

Am I cursed with an excellent ear?

Please, no flaming.  I apologize for a possibly unoriginal thread.

The good news is, even if the E7 doesn't make a huge difference, it will still make a difference, so you can't lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back