Circumaural, not leaking much, durable, portable and no amp necessary for ~ USD 100,0 $?
Apr 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Golo

New Head-Fier
EDIT: I bought the SRH440. Thank you all for the help.

Hello guys,

First of all I have to say that I've been getting soaked in knowledge from you all the past days and I love this place :)

My name's Ivan, I'm Spanish but I'm living in Poland, and I could use some advise in my decision to replace my broken Sennheiser HD202 headphones.

The parameters for my search are:

-Circumaural (the supra make my ears hurt, and the in-ears too)

-Good isolation (I use them normally in silent rooms but I have a noisy neighbour that spoils all my saturday evenings with his loudest musics, and I am normally surrounded by my gf or the colleagues from work and I like to listen to them at a good volume and not disturb anybody)

-Durable (I liked my HD202 a lot but I had to replace the cable 3 times until the last time when I already got tired of that, cause it takes several days to have them back when it happens and I don't have replacement to listen to music on the meantime). So I was thinking on detachable cord and coiled if possible.

-Somehow portable in the meaning that I would love to use them eventually in the train or the plane without feeling ridiculous. I have a big melon instead of head so I can deal with big ones as long as they are not giant. Not so important that they fold.

-No amp necessary, as by now I'm looking for an entry level, I will consider getting better equipment gradually but I don't want to start making a big investment, Polish currency is not so good when it comes to buy foreign goods 
confused_face.gif
 I will use them by now from laptops and phones.

-Type of music: I listen mostly Flamenco and Spanish folk music (a lot of vocals, some spanish guitars, flamenco boxes, not much bass) and Rock ( from Chuck Berry to Wolfmother, passing by Led Zeppelin, Queen, Guns N' Roses and many other). I listen sporadically to Jazz, Blues, Classical music (mainly Piano), OSTs and 90's+beginning of 00's R&B and Hip Hop.

My budget by now is around 100USD (around 300PLN) but as I said, I'm just starting in this world so I hope to gradually get better stuff :)

And my decision is by now amongst following ones:

1. Shure SH440 (I read it's low on bass but I don't care at all, the only con for me is that they look too big and flamboyant to wear them outside home or office, and I read they are not so comfortable for big melon-heads). I can get them for 100USD what is actually my budget limit.
2. ATH-M30 (I read wonderful things about the audio quality of these, some people depending on their taste claim these have even better sound than the M50s, but the cable is too long and I read they don't look so durable and some people had "accidents" with the mini jack, it broke inside the phone's or audio card's jack for never be able to take it out from there making the phone audio or computer audio unusable ever again). I can get them for 80USD.
3. Creative Aurvana Live! (same like ATH-M30, I read they have great audio inherit from the Denon's D1000, but they also seem to be not so durable). I can get them for 70USD.
4. SuperLux HD661 (there are not many opinions about these ones but they don't seem to catch much attention when it comes to audio quality, but they seem durable and they are pretty to wear them outside office. The Con: a lot of users complain they are extremely uncomfortable, and that may be a problem if I will be wearing them for 8h a day intermittently). I could get them for 50USD.

Please give me a helping hand to resolve this puzzle :)

Thanks for reading!!! And apologies for my not so academical English, I learnt it without classes and my grammar and spelling is probably horrible XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back