CIEM vs Universal Demo: What has changed for you?
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 22
Acrylic ciems have been a negative to me. They don't seal as good as tips. Bass is definitely not guaranteed to be better unless you are willing to ship them back for the perfect fit.

Silicone ciems is where its at. Amazing isolation and will probably fit the first time. Does not need to be perfect.

--

The real negative of ciems is not being able to tip roll to alter the sound to your liking.

Wider bore tips for less bass. Etc.

Because of modern iems with multi-drivers have their complexities, they do not EQ well. They aren't made to Audeze-like standards. Heck there can even be different types of drivers nowadays and not simply a complex crossover.

So Physical mods like tip rolling is way better over EQ with iems.

Quite the opposite for me. I have tried several tips and none of them fit as well as customs, provided the fitting cast was good, of course.

I also have to disagree on the EQing part: I work in audio production and I have never had issues EQing my IEMs according to needs. It wasn't until o got to Stealthsonics that I stopped doing that as I found an overall spectrum I feel at home with.

shows how different all this can be from person to person!

:)

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 22
Acrylic ciems have been a negative to me. They don't seal as good as tips. Bass is definitely not guaranteed to be better unless you are willing to ship them back for the perfect fit.
You should consider better manufacturers or you maybe have very challenging ear shape. I have 5 pairs of CIEM and they never needed a refit for the perfect seal.

Advantages of CIEM:
- Much higher isolation. Any noise lowers the quality of the audio chain. IMD, THD, jitter and most of all surrounding noise. Depends on the environment, though. If you can hear your own blood pressure, less might be more.
- Audiophile manufacturers pay attention to your unique ear canal shape. That immensely lowers the resonances and what @slumberman probably perceives as less high frequencies. You lose harmonics that do not belong there but are inevitable with a shallow fit.
- Especially acrylic shells sit TIGHT. The body creates less reverb, e.g. a cleaner signal and what many perceive as a faster bass.

Silicone ciems is where its at. Amazing isolation and will probably fit the first time. Does not need to be perfect.
Any CIEM should fit perfectly. The reason most manufacturers avoid silicone is because they sell a product with an expiration date. The silicone shell will decompose itself.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 22
As a rule of thumb, Comply Foams will always decrease sound quality because no IEM was designed to sound good with them, simply because there are no measurement tools to accurately tell the outcome.

Another way to look at it is that they can increase the sound quality because they minimize the impact of the resonant peak and greatly reduce reflections that cause comb filtering. They assist in linearizing the frequency response, which increases resolution, as detail is no longer masked by peaks.

The tradeoff is you give up some attack speed and "pop", and overall high frequencies are attenuated gently.

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #19 of 22
Didnt know where to post this question so thought i'd give it a shot here?
Is it possible to have the 1 Dynamic Driver & 2 Balanced Arrmature Drivers removed from my CIEM and have them replaced with a slighly larger Dynamic Driver(only 1 or 2mm) and a Pari of Sonion EST Drivers?
Obviously i would not atempt to do this myself i would hunt around for a company/engineer trained to do the job properly.
Im just curious to find out if it's possible and if so how common is it?
I purchased a set of CIEM's from LEAR Audio a couple of years ago but was never really that keen on the sound and because of the nature of the beast i was stock with them and have been collecting dust in the draw ever since!

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #20 of 22
Didnt know where to post this question so thought i'd give it a shot here?
Is it possible to have the 1 Dynamic Driver & 2 Balanced Arrmature Drivers removed from my CIEM and have them replaced with a slighly larger Dynamic Driver(only 1 or 2mm) and a Pari of Sonion EST Drivers?
Obviously i would not atempt to do this myself i would hunt around for a company/engineer trained to do the job properly.
Im just curious to find out if it's possible and if so how common is it?
I purchased a set of CIEM's from LEAR Audio a couple of years ago but was never really that keen on the sound and because of the nature of the beast i was stock with them and have been collecting dust in the draw ever since!
Usually it’s not possible as the shell gets destroyed when you try to open it and can’t be reused. You would have to contact LEAR and ask them.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #21 of 22
Usually it’s not possible as the shell gets destroyed when you try to open it and can’t be reused. You would have to contact LEAR and ask them.
Yeah i thought as much, it's a shame cos they fit great and a very nice looking monitor to boot! I'll drop LEAR a message and also try and get a second opinion but i fear you are 99.9% spot on?
Thanx for the help really appreciate it👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back