Christian / Christian Rock.
Aug 7, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jeff mangum loves jesus, if that counts as christian rock.

No, he loves the eternal white light within everyone. Or something.

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After checking out Neal he has some really sweet tunes! Thanks for the suggestion guys.

To the OP: what makes you like Christian music so much if you're not Christian? I'm not criticizing or anything, but I've found that musically most Christian rock isn't amazing (though Neal Morse rips some pretty nice solos), but it's the uplifting message that makes me enjoy it so much. Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

To speak for the OP, it's because Christian music tries to mean something. In the open seas of vapid pointless pop and rock music, you can actually occasionally hear some real weight behind what's being said. Most of these people don't get filthy stinkin rich and have their cribs episode, and a Behind the Music feature 20 years later to completely kill all the audience compassion.

That said, go to the underground. There are plenty of places to find meaningful heartfelt music outside of the soul-crushing money machine music industry. Even Christian rock is a huge focus for that same industry so whatever real emotion there is tends to get washed out in radio friendly singles. Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel) above and in my sig is a perfect example of someone who sounds like they believe what they're singing, even if that particular belief is a bit harder to decipher. Same goes for Thom Yorke of Radiohead.

Perhaps one of my favorite all time meaningful songs is Will Oldham's "Black". Recorded as his alter ego Bonnie "Prince" Billy, he sings the following in the most perfectly affected warble.

Quote:

(sic)

Black, you are my enemy
And I cannot get close to thee
Our life is ruled by enmity
And I can't weaken that
The only way that I can see
Is to hold you close to me
To love you for it's meant to be
I weaken your attack

So I thought I'd try to cut him
Try to force him 'neath my level
The only way to equal to him
Would be hit him with a shovel
But to really rise above him
That would be the final evil
So instead I asked the sucker
If he'd care to see my rooms
And as a friend and as a comrade
And all the things that these implied
I made him leave what it was that he had
Used to keep us unallied

(sic)

Now black and I we are together
Fairly just inseparable
And in the terriblest of weather
Our bonds are incorruptible

Obviously he's singing to his own depression. Something that forever seems like a part of yourself until you face it down as a seperate entity. Not to mention the brilliant turn of embracing his actions as a depressive person, actually enjoying his own persona as it's presented by depression, but with the strength to hold off the destructive tendancies. This message is much stronger than the Christian's obvious response of "take it to Jesus".

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #33 of 58
Lets not forget that DC Talk broke-up and now we have Toby Mac/Tait. Not a lot people know that Christian music covers all generes Rock/ Heavy Metal/ Rap/ Pop/ Jazz/ Easy Listening/ you name it, we have it. Music that is so great and creative, that to me seems to never get old!
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #34 of 58
I've sampled many of the Christian rock bands mentioned so far but very few worked for me.

I'll have to say Neal Morse is my favorite if he can be included here. I have all of his CDs but One & Testimony are my favorites. If you like Morse's style then you should also check out Spock's Beard(start with "V" or "Snow"). My favorite group is The Flower Kings which should not be missed if Morse and SB works for you.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets not forget that DC Talk broke-up and now we have Toby Mac/Tait. Not a lot people know that Christian music covers all generes Rock/ Heavy Metal/ Rap/ Pop/ Jazz/ Easy Listening/ you name it, we have it. Music that is so great and creative, that to me seems to never get old!
biggrin.gif

Don't you ever say that. They're just on...hiatus.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love Tait's stuff, though. Toby Mac I never really cared for as much.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you ever say that. They're just on...hiatus.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love Tait's stuff, though. Toby Mac I never really cared for as much.

Yes, those guys together really is something special!

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #39 of 58
Kevin's first solo album was pretty bad. I wonder if he pulled it together for his more recent album. I think he'd be the holdout against a reunion, particularly because he always felt out of place within the context of DC Talk.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #40 of 58
IMO, sometimes the music, fans, message, is more important. They should just work it out, there's enough room for them to be creative together, than creative apart. I mean that's one of the basic messages (Christianity) is all about. Unity, being able to put others needs before our own. I don't mean to harp on this subject, or changing the topic. So many groups that works to gether well, after some success, let their personal ambition and life get in the way of the greater good, The MUSIC!!!!

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncmando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot OC Supertones -oh yeah!

thats mores Ska than anything simular to Five Iron Frenzy

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about some Creed? I hear they're really deep and toooootally awesome. Lawlz. They make me wanna stretch my pseudo-Christian warlord wings...

I wouldn't consider Creed Christian... Their 1st album is quite defiant, take a closer look at my own prison. the lead singer is a pk (pastor's kid) so definatly has the knowledge, but their lyrics don't show any internalization, unless you count slightly hostile

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #44 of 58
Chris Tomlin - Arriving
Chris Tomlin - See The Morning

good lyrics, AWESOME MUSIC. as a matter of fact, i am listening to the Arriving album(track3 - so good!!!) at work. my boss doesnt stop me from playing music loud when it is christian music =)

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #45 of 58
Hey all,
I am a fulltime worship/music pastor here in Texas. I would encourage you to check out some of the contemporary worship groups/artisits out there.

Shane and Shane
Chris Tomlin
David Crowder
Matt Redman
Todd Agnew
Jared Anderson
Lincoln Brewster
Ross Parsley
Passion
Hillsongs

Just to name a few!

Users who are viewing this thread