Chose your favorite Martial Artist & suggest your favorite films!!
May 15, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #46 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.
regular_smile .gif
I love the few lead roles he managed to land, particularly The Iceman Cometh. He really had such endearing qualities that should have guaranteed him more succes than he had in the end. Glad his 'brothers' looked out for him though. Particularly Sammo Hung has given Yuen Biao quite a few opportunities to shine in his movies.

Nice. I should get that one. I haven't bought any stuff from Dragon Dynasty yet. Shame that Hong Kong Legends died (or actually, was killed off), I hope Dragon Dynasty can fill the void. At least they've got motormouth Bey Logan, so the audio commentaries should be excellent.

Here's hoping for a good reference-quality release of Drunken Master II.
beerchug.gif

Speaking of HK Legends, Have you ever seen "Dragon Fist" With Jackie Chan....this a out of print(HK Legends version) movie, where Jackie Chan was on his Pre-comic form. This Martial Arts drama shows a very serious kick-ass Jackie Chan.
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #47 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of HK Legends, Have you ever seen "Dragon Fist" With Jackie Chan....this a out of print(HK Legends version) movie, where Jackie Chan was on his Pre-comic form. This Martial Arts drama shows a very serious kick-ass Jackie Chan.
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I have it (though unfortunately not the HKL version). I should watch it again, it's been a long time. The fight sequences are really very good, because, as far as I know, this was the first movie where Lo Wei would let Jackie do most of the directing.
Which reminds me, Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin really deserves a quality release too. It's certainly the early Jackie movie that he himself is most proud of.

May 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #48 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tdih7.jpg

Nice Catch on this Pic! I wonder what Jackie would say about this scene. I'm sure he has lots of respect for Bruce though. He has referenced Bruce in some of his films. Ex;
City Hunter When Jackie is fighting in the Movie theater, and they're showing Game of Death Jackie starts copying Bruce's moves to win the fights. City Hunter Has a part where Jackie is playing the Street Fighter video game, and he manages to get shocked and turns into CHun-li...
biggrin.gif
The scene shows other characters from the Street fighter world. Pretty funny stuff!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #50 of 131
And all this time i thought Michael Jackson had the best kicks!
eek.gif

Bruce, then Jackie,.........If anyone is better, they are an unknown in Asia in the mountains or out in the country or the Shoalin Temple or something, and not a media figure.

May 16, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #51 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permagrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is just full of win!

I didn't see it mentioned but I loved Kung Fu Hustle. If only they had the technology to do half that stuff in the golden or silver ages of martial arts cinema.

Thanks! I also love Kung-fu Hustle and most of Stephen Chow's movies. One of my favorites is Shaoling Soccer, mainly 'cause I love the combination of Martial Arts, Soccer, and wacky comedy!!
smile.gif
Even CJ7 was pretty good IMO!

May 16, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #52 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing Seagal would have beaten Bruce lee at....would be at a staring contest.

Also a growing fat contest.

May 16, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #53 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by launche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bruce Lee...all the rest are second rate.

Well this was a funny cult classic.
Bruce Leroy - The Last Dragon.

Anything with Vanity is full of win. Did you guys know she almost died from a drug overdose and destroyed her liver and now she is on dialisis and has become an evangelist/preacher, whatever. Still looks amazing though.

May 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #57 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on Zatoichi
But whatever you do, DON'T watch the one that was made most recently (2002?) because it's garbage

Garbage? Really? Depends if you were expecting something of a clone of the old Zatoichi movies. But Kitano Takeshi wouldn't be the genius that he is, if he had produced that.
Far from his greatest movie ever, admittedly, but garbage...not really. (IMO)

May 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #59 of 131
IMO, absolutely. I mean come on, in the end they imply that he was never completely blind. How could they do that after the 25 some-odd movies with Shintaro Katsu?
Plus, the new movie really lacked the old-style magic that made the Zatoichi series so amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back