Chord Mojo vs Ifi Xdsd ? DAC recommendations ?
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Alcarinquei

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and I need some advice. Through my questions you'll also get to know more about myself. :)
I recently purchased Fiio K1 DAC after thinking for years that my laptop really sounded too bad to listen to music with it. I started a subscription to Tidal and it became more important to have good sound coming out of it.
While the K1 did provide a much better audio than before, and therefore making clear that DACs worth it, I am not entirely satisfied with the sound yet: there's a hiss, I like them for pop music (let's say new release) but not really for classical or other styles.

So here I am looking for another DAC. To use mostly with a laptop (surface pro 4 or HP) or on the go with an HTC 10. I use Sony MDR-1A, Fiio F9 pro and some other iems Sony with noise cancellation (for plane). I was first looking to the dragonfly red and ifi nano black label. But then it seems that the ifi xdsd looks really good for functionalities, then I also started too look at ifi micro black label.
I didn't expect to spend so much for the micro but I am also not against the idea of spend a significant amount for something I can keep for long time. For example, to use with an amp and speaker, eventually active speaker later. But will that work? Or I better choose a portable DAC and then a desk DAC later (for same total price more or less)

And what about the mojo, is it still relevant in comparison to the new xdsd? I like the two output possibility, is this replicable with extra cable and decent sound ?

Oh, and I almost always out with a bag and I listen at low volume in general (if that is relevant).

I would be grateful for you recommendation and comments.
Thanks in advance
Alca

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 33
Hi there and welcome to the journey! :)
I have been new to this forum too not too long ago, and you will find a lot of great help and information here.

For reference, I have a pretty high end stereo system, used to play the piano, and listen to classical concerts (live) pretty regulary, so I think I have a good sense of how things should sound.

I started my mobile system search with a FIIO Q1 MKII, and yes, it sounded better than my phone and iPad, but I moved on quickly and after some months of research I bought a Chord Mojo and some AudioQuest NightOwls. That's it for me. Unlike many I am not constantly searching for the next upgrade, and I am simply happy with this solution.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...other-to-the-r6.872288/page-273#post-14436714

I also used the Mojo as source for my Stereo system, and it was so clearly better than my 4000$ DAC from 2003 that I soon after bought a used Chord 2Qute DAC as for the Stereo.

But I am sure there are other good products, I found @Rhamnetin 's post very useful and he seems to have tested a lot of equipment.

One more thing - if you upgrade to a 400-500$ DAC I think you'll have to consider new headphones too...

Have fun and enjoy the music! :)

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 33
Thank you surfgeorge for sharing your experience. Nice that you enjoy your material :)
The mojo received a lot of praise everywhere but the Ifi is also well regarded and the Xdsd has more functionality : mode speaker and headphones, so maybe it is more versatile, Mqa and bluetooth. On paper at least that's attractive. But perhaps the mojo is a safer choice.

Regarding the headphones I am quite happy with what I have now. Buying headphone or iems is even more difficult, for me, the comfort is very often a problem. And find the place to try them as well...
I am thinking to look for custom iems, but that' won't be before one or two years :wink: (maybe UE Maybe custom art)

Is there anyone who tried both the Ifi Xdsd and the mojo?

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 33
Thank you surfgeorge for sharing your experience. Nice that you enjoy your material :)
The mojo received a lot of praise everywhere but the Ifi is also well regarded and the Xdsd has more functionality : mode speaker and headphones, so maybe it is more versatile, Mqa and bluetooth. On paper at least that's attractive. But perhaps the mojo is a safer choice.

Regarding the headphones I am quite happy with what I have now. Buying headphone or iems is even more difficult, for me, the comfort is very often a problem. And find the place to try them as well...
I am thinking to look for custom iems, but that' won't be before one or two years :wink: (maybe UE Maybe custom art)

Is there anyone who tried both the Ifi Xdsd and the mojo?

I did a quick search in the Mojo thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2406#post-14180620

I have had some private conversations wit Betula and he helped me make my choices, so I trust his verdict.
And he summarizes it well, the Chord DAC technology has something special, and it's not snake oil but really hardcore calculation power and a unique approach to a technical and musical perfection. I read a lot of Rob Watts' information before buying the Mojo, and when I listened to it, it all made sense.

Cheers!

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 33
After your advises and making a phone call to the shop owner, I decided to purchase the Mojo, comparing to the Xdsd I don't really need bluetooth, I really don't care about extra bass, 3D I don't know that effect and I have read on many places that the mojo sounds better, that was also the point of view of the shop owner.

I received the mojo and yes Aw! God! it sounds awesome. I started to enjoy again to hi-res classical music which just sounded kinda dull before. Re-discovered some Jimi Hendrix :p and went through some new sounds. Grrreat!!

However, there is something I would have like to know: RF/EMI

I didn't read about that before. And seriously these forum(s) is really a mess. I would have liked to have read this before:
RECOMMENDATIONS
* If you like a relaxed sound and want a super portable device where your mobile use cases are connected to your laptop or sitting a small distance from your phone, I'd recommend the mojo - if you have it, chances are the Mojo will drive it
* If you need something that sits right next to your phone, you might/will get EMI issues (based on my testing, 100% with newer android and iPhones, no problem with tablets or laptops)
* If you're looking for a desktop solution, you can get, say, a Mimby/Magni3 for $348 and it's probably an end-game desktop setup unless you've got an extensive HP collection and looking to plumb the aural depths
* Going even cheaper on the desktop solution, you can get a Topping D30/A30 stack or a SMSL stack for ~$200 - based on my experiences you need pretty good equipment and a great ear to need more

I listen a lot to tidal. As stated in the first post. I was hoping to use my phone in a kinda stack with the mojo, with EMI is nearly impossible. Plus on android I had to purchase UAPP which helps a lot but is really AWFUL to navigate through with tidal and it doesn't play offline. I am starting to think that tidal native supports like the xdsd is quite important.
I am also not so fond of the micro-usb connection. It looks very fragile. Not a very practical device..

Yet I love the sound and I never heard the xdsd.

Well. Here is my experience. Since apart surfgeorge (thanks again :) ), I didn't get any other answer. I guess I should not expect other reactions.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 33
SQ - Mojo
Portability - xDSD (with BT)

Your choice.

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 33
I really like my Mojo with a lot of different headphones and earphones.

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 33
Glad you like the Mojo!
Your description about the experience listening to music and (re)discovering it sounds familiar :ksc75smile:

Sorry to hear about the RFI interference issues. I didn’t have them when listening to the Mojo connected to the PC or my Cayin N3 as sources, but I also realized when I stacked it with the HiBy R3 that there was a regular disturbance that disappeared when I switched off the Wifi in the R3. Not an option if you are planning to use Tidal... there are many posts about RFI though in the Mojo thread and about attempts to fix it. I am not sure if there was a proven remedy, but go back and check, that thread is an incredible source of information and honestly, especially the comprehensive collection of information in the first posts is the best I have seen in this forum.

Hope you find a way to enjoy the Mojo sound without limitations!

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 33
I have the Mojo and I like it. But the ifi is worth having *also* if you have a DAP that doesn't have USB out.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 33
Meaning that you still like the Mojo's sound better? How would you compare them soundwise?

I don't have any RF with computer either. I am also starting to find solutions to the RF problem. I think the stack will not happen with my phone, or in airplane mode (not that bad of an excuse to disconnect and enjoy some peace out of network after all) . I also have no RF while the phone is at 20-30cm away more or less from the mojo.

It really feels like it is a device that need some time to adjust to it to fully enjoy, which isn't that bad after all. And I still think the two earphone is a killer compared to bluetooth :p

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 33
No, I don't have the ifi. Just wanted to mention the Mojo only works with a PC or a DAP with USB out. Some people might not realize it until it's too late.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 33
No, I don't have the ifi. Just wanted to mention the Mojo only works with a PC or a DAP with USB out. Some people might not realize it until it's too late.

How do you mean that? It has the micro USB, coax and optical inputs and I am not aware of any connection limitations (assuming that you can find the right cable)

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 33
How do you mean that? It has the micro USB, coax and optical inputs and I am not aware of any connection limitations (assuming that you can find the right cable)

I agree with everything you wrote :wink:

The Mojo has no analog in, so if your DAP or source doesn't have USB out the Mojo isn't going to be a good choice. Most DAPs don't have optical out and the few that have coax out need special/PITA cables. So, anyone thinking of buying a Mojo should be aware of it. The ifi has both USB and analog in, that is better and more useful connectivity than having everything BUT analog in.

Sep 1, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 33
I agree with everything you wrote :wink:

The Mojo has no analog in, so if your DAP or source doesn't have USB out the Mojo isn't going to be a good choice. Most DAPs don't have optical out and the few that have coax out need special/PITA cables. So, anyone thinking of buying a Mojo should be aware of it. The ifi has both USB and analog in, that is better and more useful connectivity than having everything BUT analog in.

The Mojo is a DAC/Amp and the amplifier section of the Mojo is specific to the unusually clean analog out of the FPGA DAC.
Analog in would mean you want to use Mojo as an amp only, but that defies the purpose and would likely not work very well.
A conventional DAC chip generates a lot of noise and the amp has to filter it. Mojo’s DAC is noise free and the amp doesn’t have or need those filters.
And the Mojo magic happens in the DAC section.

But sure, if you need an external amp then Mojo doesn’t do that and you need another unit.

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 33
The ifi has both USB and analog in, that is better and more useful connectivity than having everything BUT analog in.
Just to be clear, the OP was comparing the iFi xDSD to the Chord Mojo. The xDSD does not have analog input. The more expensive Micro iDSD on the other hand does have analog input.

I still have an iPod Classic with a line out that I want to use occasionally as a source, so the xDSD’s lack of analog input is the only reason I haven’t bought it. The Bluetooth implementation seems to be top notch though (when the syncing is working properly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back