Chord Mojo issue solutions thread.
May 11, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #631 of 1,084
It's not uncommon for lithium batteries to die prematurely from being plugged in all the time. Having a lithium battery near full charge (over 4.10V per cel) for very long periods of time is very stressful for the battery. I killed two laptops and an iPod Classic before I figured this out long ago. Now I unplug when the battery is full and only charge when needed, or for a short top up, and all my lithium battery devices run very well with no premature signs of wear, including the Mojo I've had since it launched.

My advice, don't leave a lithium battery powered devices plugged in for extended periods of time once charged.
This is what I do as well. It would be nice if @Rob Watts wouldn't come on the Mojo threads and tell everyone it's OK to leave it plugged in all the time.

May 11, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #632 of 1,084
my mojo is starting to act up, it's turning off by itself and I'm using it as a desk setup. I have it connected directly through a wall charger so losing charge isn't the problem. Anyone have this issue?

The Mojo does have some sort of circuit that cuts out charging after about six hours. Like if you had a flat battery and charged and played. It would charge for six hours then go back to battery, then run flat.

However I had a Mojo that would shut down for no reason sometimes. (It was not due to overheating. As we know the Mojo will turn off if it gets to hot, i.e. like when charging and playing.) It happened even when a good charge was on the battery, so when it developed other problems I returned it.

It's not uncommon for lithium batteries to die prematurely from being plugged in all the time. Having a lithium battery near full charge (over 4.10V per cel) for very long periods of time is very stressful for the battery. I killed two laptops and an iPod Classic before I figured this out long ago. Now I unplug when the battery is full and only charge when needed, or for a short top up, and all my lithium battery devices run very well with no premature signs of wear, including the Mojo I've had since it launched.

My advice, don't leave a lithium battery powered devices plugged in for extended periods of time once charged.

That's exactly what I do. It means I am more careful to remember to turn it off, when not is use too.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #633 of 1,084
It's not uncommon for lithium batteries to die prematurely from being plugged in all the time. Having a lithium battery near full charge (over 4.10V per cel) for very long periods of time is very stressful for the battery

While that may true, apple solved this problem years ago by letting the charging circuit manage this. It stops charging the battery if its full charge, lets it run down a bit, then charges again.

Its disappointing that chord does not address this on the mojo, I consider this to be a design fault. Im on my 3rd mojo unit now.

May 12, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #634 of 1,084
While that may true, apple solved this problem years ago by letting the charging circuit manage this. It stops charging the battery if its full charge, lets it run down a bit, then charges again.

Its disappointing that chord does not address this on the mojo, I consider this to be a design fault. Im on my 3rd mojo unit now.

Rob did address this and that's exactly how the Mojo acts with its charging circuit as well. When the charge is full it stops and then when it reaches below a threshold (8.2V, or 4.10V per cell) it tops it up again (full charge is 8.4V total). Lithium battery chemistry simply doesn't like to be near full charge for extended periods, especially when being left plugged in for weeks/months at a time. Also, if the charging circuit didn't stop at 4.20V per cell then it would be very dangerous for the end user.

Some current reading:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC.

Using a lithium battery powered device while plugged in is also not recommended for longevity.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
Some portable devices sit in a charge cradle in the ON position. The current drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and can distort the charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic loads while charging because they induce mini-cycles. This cannot always be avoided and a laptop connected to the AC main is such a case. The battery might be charged to 4.20V/cell and then discharged by the device. The stress level on the battery is high because the cycles occur at the high-voltage threshold, often also at elevated temperature.

Now, the Mojo has a Lithium Polymer battery, but for all practical purposes to the user it behaves the same as Lithium Ion batteries:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/the_li_polymer_battery_substance_or_hype
With gelled electrolyte added, what is the difference between a normal Li ion and Li ion polymer? As far as the user is concerned, lithium polymer is essentially the same as lithium-ion. Both systems use identical cathode and anode material and contain a similar amount of electrolyte

And one more older link, just because:
https://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/

As far as I can recall almost all of the issues of bad battery life that I've read have been related to leaving the Mojo plugged in constantly for extended periods of time. Again, my advice with using the portable Mojo in a desktop scenario is to simply unplug it when it doesn't need to be charged.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #635 of 1,084
Hello,

I just bought Mojo second hand. I'm willing to use it Macbook/ IPhone 50/50. Didn't try with IPhone yet, but when connecting to Macbook, nothing happens, except mojo power button indicates red. I mean i play the track, and it plays through macbooks built-in speakers when Mojo is fully connected. Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

May 12, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #636 of 1,084
Hello,

I just bought Mojo second hand. I'm willing to use it Macbook/ IPhone 50/50. Didn't try with IPhone yet, but when connecting to Macbook, nothing happens, except mojo power button indicates red. I mean i play the track, and it plays through macbooks built-in speakers when Mojo is fully connected. Any thoughts on this? Thank you!
Hi,

You need to select the appropriate audio output in the sound preferences (or by clicking the speaker button in the upper bar while painting the Alt key).

May 12, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #637 of 1,084
Hello,

You can also setup the output device through the Midi app in the Utilities.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 2.58.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 2.58.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 3.00.21 AM.png

2. Right click the Mojo in the list on the left and select it as the audio output device.
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 3.01.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 3.01.28 AM.png

Make sure to set your sampling rate to match your music files. For iTunes and CD content this will be 44100 Hz (44.1kHz).

Alternatively you can purchase a program like Audirvana+ and it will automatically set the output sampling rate of your music files and has more options to optimize your Macbook for music playback.

May 12, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #640 of 1,084
May 12, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #642 of 1,084
I have an update on servicing my broken second hand mojo. Basically, if you have an out of warranty second hand mojo: you are ****ED. I only had it for about 2 days before I started having usb connection issues and quickly lost the ability to play anything with it. I contacted Chord, found out I had no serial number, they told me to take it to a place not too far away to get it fixed for a price. I dropped it off there about 3 weeks ago and still haven't gotten estimate back, so I called them and they told me they were waiting on Chord to tell them how much it is going to cost for a NEW MAINBOARD. I still don't know what this is going to cost yet but I don't know how they are going to be able to charge me less than what the entire device costs new.... Really sucks too because this company, George Meyer AV, insisted they could fix the problem, but instead, they are just going to replace the entire mainboard!!!

May 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #643 of 1,084
I have an update on servicing my broken second hand mojo. Basically, if you have an out of warranty second hand mojo: you are ****ED. I only had it for about 2 days before I started having usb connection issues and quickly lost the ability to play anything with it. I contacted Chord, found out I had no serial number, they told me to take it to a place not too far away to get it fixed for a price. I dropped it off there about 3 weeks ago and still haven't gotten estimate back, so I called them and they told me they were waiting on Chord to tell them how much it is going to cost for a NEW MAINBOARD. I still don't know what this is going to cost yet but I don't know how they are going to be able to charge me less than what the entire device costs new.... Really sucks too because this company, George Meyer AV, insisted they could fix the problem, but instead, they are just going to replace the entire mainboard!!!

What do you mean by it had no serial number?
All Mojos have a serial number sticker on their base, so if it has no serial number, is your Mojo really a fake?

May 12, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #644 of 1,084
What do you mean by it had no serial number?
All Mojos have a serial number sticker on their base, so if it has no serial number, is your Mojo really a fake?

I have no idea why it doesn't have a serial number but it definitely isn't fake. It worked well until it broke and I even opened it up and it definitely had a real Chord board in there. After I told Chord that it had no serial, they just told me that it had no warranty and that I would need to take it to George Meyer AV. I replied asking if they actually made Mojos with no serial number and warranty but they never responded.

May 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #645 of 1,084
I have no idea why it doesn't have a serial number but it definitely isn't fake. It worked well until it broke and I even opened it up and it definitely had a real Chord board in there. After I told Chord that it had no serial, they just told me that it had no warranty and that I would need to take it to George Meyer AV. I replied asking if they actually made Mojos with no serial number and warranty but they never responded.

When the Mojo was introduced, the serial number was on an white label on the bottom of the unit. There were some concerns that the label might come off since sliding it and out of the Dignis case caused some of the corners to come loose. I can't remember if the box had the serial number on it too when it was the original small white box. In August of 2016, Chord changed the packaging and moved the serial number to being laser etched on the end between the headphone jacks. If yours does not have either of those, it is most likely that it was one with the sticker on the bottom and the sticker came off or was taken off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back