Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 13, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #39,856 of 42,765
Hi all, this is just a post to confirm something that could be a convenience for folks...I have hooked up the Mojo to a Grace Digital 3 Play Bluetooth receiver. The Grace outputs digital through optical, so could be convenient for mobile use when you want your phone accessible but have Mojo/Grace in pocket with headphones. Here is a pic:

This is in desktop system, but you could easily use the Mojo/Grace with iems and a phone/Bluetooth dap instead. The quality is ok, but not a good as a direct connection. Bluetooth may be able to go 320kbs but not high res. Again, proof of concept for convenience. The Mojo and the Grace should each last 10 hours on a charge, so a good pairing.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but just reacquired a mojo again and was thinking of this same thing if there’s a product that does this or even better now? I understand poly does this but the price is way off my budget range... hoping some here has some suggestions :) i was also reading up on the fiio daps and some of them have the “airplay” functionality and wondering if i could use that and connect it to the mojo maybe i could connect it via coax... thanks in advance :)

Feb 13, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #39,857 of 42,765
Sorry to dig up an old thread but just reacquired a mojo again and was thinking of this same thing if there’s a product that does this or even better now? I understand poly does this but the price is way off my budget range... hoping some here has some suggestions :) i was also reading up on the fiio daps and some of them have the “airplay” functionality and wondering if i could use that and connect it to the mojo maybe i could connect it via coax... thanks in advance :)
This thread may be old but still very active, as the Mojo is still an excellent DAC/Amp after 5 years on the market.
The technology and approach used is still as unique and powerful today as it was 5 years ago in that market segment.

You are not alone with the Poly being too much to justify.
HiBy has brought the R3 DAP model to the market in 2018 which seems to have been designed also as a transport for the Mojo, as it perfectly matches the size of the Mojo and HiBy even offered a coax cable to connect to the Mojo.
I bought the first batch of the R3 from Kickstarter and have ever since used it stacked with the Mojo.

As a transport it works perfectly.
The Tidal implementation is rather basic though, and the way I am stacking the R3 and the Mojo there is interference when the R3's Wifi is on. But Bluetooth works well and the R3 can be used as a BT receiver, using Tidal on the phone and transmitting to the R3 via BT, then via cable to the Mojo. It uses compressed data though, does not work with lossless data.

Anyway, I have been enjoying the stack and made a case and transport box for it.
Will PM you pictures, they have been posted before so I don't want to add them again...

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #39,858 of 42,765
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #39,860 of 42,765
Have anyone compare the sound quality of Iphone->Mojo vs Xduoo X10Tii -> Mojo? I am thinking if it’s worth to get Xduoo as transport. Any comments are welcome!

To me Mojo always sounds best when fed with an optical signal iPhone doesn't do optical, X10Tii does, so for me its the winner. Mojo battery life is better when fed an optical signal.

X10T doesn't do streaming, so that's a downside, I only use mine with files stored on the uSD card.

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #39,861 of 42,765
Chord has just announced 2go and 2yu that bring hi-res streaming to Hugo and other DACs. Prices if you're asking are
£995 and £449 respectively

So if I want these modules for my other DACs do I really need to buy them both (2go and 2yu)? That's crazy!

https://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-electronics-2go-and-2yu-bring-streaming-to-hugo-2-and-other-dacs

Its not crazy, just a business decision on Chord's part, if its not worth the asking price for you then don't buy it. You can buy 2Go ASAP and then later 2Yu so that's an option to spread the cost a bit.

Feb 15, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #39,862 of 42,765
Have anyone compare the sound quality of Iphone->Mojo vs Xduoo X10Tii -> Mojo? I am thinking if it’s worth to get Xduoo as transport. Any comments are welcome!
Check out the MScaler thread.
There were posts by several owners, describing that they had found the Xduoo X10Tii to be an excellent source for the MScaler optical input.
The downsides are:
  • you still have a cable connection
  • you can't do streaming
  • the Xduoo X10Tii user interface is said to be a bit basic, however you can also use a phone/tablet app to control the Xduoo X10Tii
If these are not showstoppers for you, then I think that you could find the Xduoo X10Tii to be a good cost effective transport for the Mojo.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #39,864 of 42,765

I don't have much experience with Apple hardware but comparing to number of Android base devices Xduoo is superior if you want transport without influence on what you hear. IMHO after 2 days of owning Xduoo X10Tii I think it is superior to mobiles in most cases as a transport. Keep in mind that Xduoo has been designed to be a transport, mobile phones weren't. The size and weight makes it perfect companion on the go and the battery life is very decent and is longer than Mojo. The question is are you listening from files or using streaming services. If you are listening from files, than the next question is how large your library is. Xduoo officially handles up to 256gb cards, but there are reports that larger cards work without any problems too.

Another advantage of Xduoo comparing to any mobile is that you have both coax and optical link to Mojo. In my case when I used any of those 2 I never even tried Mojo with USB from Xduoo - there was no point.

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #39,865 of 42,765
I don't have much experience with Apple hardware but comparing to number of Android base devices Xduoo is superior if you want transport without influence on what you hear. IMHO after 2 days of owning Xduoo X10Tii I think it is superior to mobiles in most cases as a transport. Keep in mind that Xduoo has been designed to be a transport, mobile phones weren't. The size and weight makes it perfect companion on the go and the battery life is very decent and is longer than Mojo. The question is are you listening from files or using streaming services. If you are listening from files, than the next question is how large your library is. Xduoo officially handles up to 256gb cards, but there are reports that larger cards work without any problems too.

Another advantage of Xduoo comparing to any mobile is that you have both coax and optical link to Mojo. In my case when I used any of those 2 I never even tried Mojo with USB from Xduoo - there was no point.
Thanks for the info! May I know where can I get the cable for optical out from xduoo xt0tii?

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #39,868 of 42,765
Hi Guys,

This is the first time I'm connecting the mojo to my iMac. I preferred to set my mojo at 2.1V (Double Blue) and use my iMac Volume Up/Down to control the volume, but that doesn't seem to work. The Master Volume Control on Mac is fixed, and it is troublesome to use the apps i.e. Spotify, Youtube's volume control to control the volume.

Is there a WORKAROUND?

Regards Wayne

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #39,869 of 42,765
Hi Guys,

This is the first time I'm connecting the mojo to my iMac. I preferred to set my mojo at 2.1V (Double Blue) and use my iMac Volume Up/Down to control the volume, but that doesn't seem to work. The Master Volume Control on Mac is fixed, and it is troublesome to use the apps i.e. Spotify, Youtube's volume control to control the volume.

Is there a WORKAROUND?

Regards Wayne

There may be but you don't really want to do that if you want the best quality bit-perfect sound which I assume you do because you are using a Mojo.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #39,870 of 42,765
Hi Guys,

Is there a WORKAROUND?

Regards Wayne
From the FAQ in Post #3

rob watts said:

It is always better to give Mojo bit perfect files and let Mojo do the work, as the processing within Mojo is much more complex and sophisticated than a mobile or PC.

So when you have an app that has a volume control, and no bit perfect setting, then set it to full volume on the app on the assumption that this will keep the data closer to the original file.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.

Rob
rob watts said:
You can always do a listening test. If set to max against 50% say, and it hardens up (becomes brighter) with loud recordings then its clipping. If on the other hand the perception of sound-stage depth is reduced, then the volume control is degrading the sound.

If you do that test and can hear no difference then don't worry, its a good app volume control.

Rob

PS for fun I just did a very quick test using Dave. I listen to radio 3 using the BBC iPlayer. I normally have it set to max. I reduced the iPlayer volume control to half, boosted Dave volume control by +6dB - and yes I felt sound-stage depth was worse with lower iPlayer volume.
So the advice is to use Robs listening test, to identify what app volume control level works best, and then try and use the Mojo volume control as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back