Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #33,616 of 42,765
Nope, I'm in the same boat. Got a new laptop and it's dead in the water. Driver is unsigned, shows up in device manager but won't appear as an actual playback device. Awesome. I'm so glad.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #33,620 of 42,765
Sep 5, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #33,621 of 42,765
Holy crap I got it working.

Okay, so, there are several places to get the drivers.

This link? Don't use it: http://www.chordmojo.com/support/#driver

This one, use the non-Creator driver: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo/

I tried several of the other non-Creator drivers, and the creator specific drivers, but it was only that one that worked.
The explanation of how to adjust the windows settings, so that it accepts unsigned drivers, was posted a few days ago on one of the chord threads.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #33,622 of 42,765
I am pretty new to the audiophile world and so I am still learning about this fascinating hobby. I am reading through this thread and am currently on page 198 of 2242. So, a bit of a way to go yet, and my apologies if this is covered later in the thread (it’s a huge thread!).

I am close to ordering the Chord Mojo and my set up would be:

iPhone 6 plus > Mojo > Dunu DN2000J

FYI My main computer is an iMac using iTunes and I do not have any Windows PCs in my home.

I need some clarification on the use of the Onkyo HF Player app for those using their iPhone as a transport source. This app has been suggested by a number of reviewers here as an important factor to get the best music clarity from the Mojo and they talk of music files needing to be ‘bit-perfect’. The suggestion is to pay the £10 / $10 to get the full HD issue of this Onkyo app for this purpose.

1. What is the difference between using apple lossless files from the normal pre-installed iPhone music app compared to using FLAC/HD on the Onkyo app? I was under the impression that lossless was very good quality anyway. Is FLAC/HD better and is it only these that are bit-perfect?

2. If the Onkyo app is the best way to go, then does anyone have a link to a step by step guide on how to copy CD’s in FLAC or bit-perfect to my Mac computer and how to then upload to the iPhone?

3. Would I still run things via iTunes or would I need a different music app for the Mac to look after my music?

Sorry if these questions are a bit basic. I am new to all this and still learning.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #33,623 of 42,765
I am pretty new to the audiophile world and so I am still learning about this fascinating hobby. I am reading through this thread and am currently on page 198 of 2242. So, a bit of a way to go yet, and my apologies if this is covered later in the thread (it’s a huge thread!).

FYI My main computer is an iMac using iTunes and I do not have any Windows PCs in my home.

I need some clarification on the use of the Onkyo HF Player app for those using their iPhone as a transport source. This app has been suggested by a number of reviewers here as an important factor to get the best music clarity from the Mojo and they talk of music files needing to be ‘bit-perfect’. The suggestion is to pay the £10 / $10 to get the full HD issue of this Onkyo app for this purpose.

1. What is the difference between using apple lossless files from the normal pre-installed iPhone music app compared to using FLAC/HD on the Onkyo app? I was under the impression that lossless was very good quality anyway. Is FLAC/HD better and is it only these that are bit-perfect?

2. If the Onkyo app is the best way to go, then does anyone have a link to a step by step guide on how to copy CD’s in FLAC or bit-perfect to my Mac computer and how to then upload to the iPhone?

3. Would I still run things via iTunes or would I need a different music app for the Mac to look after my music?

Sorry if these questions are a bit basic. I am new to all this and still learning.

I would recommend you consider Kaisertone,
my favourite IOS player - excellent sound + features, including eq - file such as FLAC or Apple Lossless (ALAC) are simply dragged into the app through iTunes from your Mac. I prefer the sound and features of Kaisertone to Onkyo - both apps are able to send hires files to your Mojo. Although it has upsampling, I prefer it straight.

ALAC and FLAC sound about the same - no preference there.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #33,624 of 42,765
I would recommend you consider Kaisertone,
my favourite IOS player - excellent sound + features, including eq - file such as FLAC or Apple Lossless (ALAC) are simply dragged into the app through iTunes from your Mac. I prefer the sound and features of Kaisertone to Onkyo - both apps are able to send hires files to your Mojo. Although it has upsampling, I prefer it straight.
I also recommend to consider Kaisertone, great "little app"!

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #33,625 of 42,765
if you stream tidal lossless via cck3 cable to mojo from an ipad mini do i need any 3rd party players/software? i'm assuming tidal hifi lossless is good enough on its own and no upsampling occurs as the mojo sample rate colour shows the correct for 16/44.1 tidal hifi? many thanks mk

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #33,626 of 42,765
if you stream tidal lossless via cck3 cable to mojo from an ipad mini do i need any 3rd party players/software? i'm assuming tidal hifi lossless is good enough on its own and no upsampling occurs as the mojo sample rate colour shows the correct for 16/44.1 tidal hifi? many thanks mk

Hi, musikid, sorry, I can't help you regarding iproducts, but I assume things are ok if Mojo is showing the correct color.. Have you got a Mojo now? If so, congratulations and how are you finding it compared to Hugo2?

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #33,627 of 42,765
i'm keeping all options open. i do like the look of mr speakers ether flow.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #33,628 of 42,765
1 amp is the minimum rating, and it is easy for such a charger when combined with a USB cable that does not fully meet the spec, to fall below 1 amp, and then you end up with a failure to charge plus blinking lights. Many people are using 2 amp chargers for Apple or Samsung phones without problems. It is best to avoid high rated chargers. I started off using a Oppo vooc fast charger, but rob watts posted about the dangers of fast chargers, or high voltage chargers, so I have used my phone charger ever since.
I recently purchased a 12w (2.4 amp) official apple charger, it is working well in combination with the chord supplied charging cable. No more flashing led and I finally received the blue fully charged light when I powered it up.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #33,629 of 42,765

Welcome. First thing I recommend is to not read the entire thread. I mean, you can, obviously, but my goodness there are tangents and repeated questions galore. You surely know the basics of this device by now and using it with Mac and iOS is fairly simple. The best thing for time's sake is to just search the thread with keywords pertaining to your inquiries.

On to your questions:

1. The default music app is fine if you have ALAC or higher bitrate mp3 files. It should be mostly plug in and play (however, I have not used it much with Mojo, so I may be missing something). The HUGE advantage of Onkyo (what I use) and other apps is that they take formats that the Apple app does not, namely FLAC and higher sample rate files*. Plus, there are more customization options that can get you more mileage out of Mojo. Additionally, personal preferences dictate one's opinion of the Apple app and iTunes. I hate them both. I only mention this because Onkyo is very straightforward to use. I get lost and frusrated in the Apple Music app.

2. There are many options to rip CDs. My simple go to is an app called Mediahuman. It's easy to use, free, and let's you rip in all sorts of FLAC options.

3. If you have FLAC files, you can't use iTunes to listen to your music. You would need another program, of which there are many. VLC is free and effective, but it's far from the last word.

* I believe the upcoming version of Music and maybe iTunes will take FLAC files. For me, it's a nonstarter since I dislike the UI and much more about those programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back