Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 26, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #31,383 of 42,765
Anyone using an iPod Touch with the Mojo? Any problems, interference etc?

yes i do..ipod touch 6 and mojo with extender.
sometimes there is a connection issue...rarely however...
when it does i just remove the cck cable and then plug it back in,
ensuring both devices are connected...usually takes care of things.

**enjoying the mojo more and more...
beerchug.gif
at first i was a lazy ass with just using my dragonfly red (lightweight, smaller)
...but now am enjoying the sound of the mojo....if you're not well trained in listening skills/exposure to alot of gear
then being able to hear the diffs between a very good DAC vs a lesser one is not so easy...i naively thought it would be aking to going
from SD to HD TV easy....nada.

and btw want to see REALLY pricey DACs...then look at some of MSB technology gear...wow! 
eek.gif

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/
http://www.msbtechnology.com/

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #31,385 of 42,765
Check post #3 first.
If there were any issues, they have probably been flagged up there.

yes i do..ipod touch 6 and mojo with extender.
sometimes there is a connection issue...rarely however...
when it does...i just remove the cck cable and then plug it back in,
ensuring both devices are connected...ususlly takes care of things.

**enjoying the mojo more and more...:beerchug: at first i was a lazy ass with just using my dragonfly red (lightweight, smaller)
...but now am enjoying the sound of the mojo....if you're not well trained in listening skills/exposure to alot of gear
then being able to hear the diffs between a very good DAC vs a lesser one is not so easy...i naively thought it would be aking to going
from SD to HD TV easy....nada.

and btw want to see REALLY pricey DACs...then look at some of MSB technology gear...wow! :eek:
http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/
http://www.msbtechnology.com/[spoiler/]
Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and buy one.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #31,386 of 42,765
Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and buy one.

i also suggest buying the Onkyo HF player ''pack'' or $10 from the apple app store...allows you to play alac, flac, and 24/192 files.
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
(there is a free version ..but only the $10 paid app allows for HD 24/192 files)

in some discussion with a helpful headfier about this app,
i was asked if the onkyo hd app was doing native upsampling or not...
am not sure...
"What happens when you turn off upsampling mode?
I havent used it for a long time admittedly. Perhaps they have improved.
Before it would play say 24/96, but the app would downsample it to 16/44. So i wasnt actually getting the 24/96 playback

but when i was playing my Rush 'Moving Pictures' in 24/192 thru the app, the mojo ball was the darker blue
indicating correct bitstream rate.''

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #31,387 of 42,765

one chap asked me if the onkyo hd app was doing native upsampling or not...am not sure...
but when i was playing my Rush 'Moving Pictures' in 24/192 thru the app, the mojo ball was the darker blue
indicating correct bitstream rate.

Settings > USB Audio > Upsampling Mode (turn off). Dunno if you can use DSD mode on the iPhone... but you can also change the settings there as well.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #31,388 of 42,765
  Settings > USB Audio > Upsampling Mode (turn off). Dunno if you can use DSD mode on the iPhone... but you can also change the settings there as well.

excuse my naivete...why would you turn off the upsampling mode?
i don't use any DSD btw....just tidal hifi, and my own ripped alac, flac and 24/192 purchases from 7digital.ca

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #31,389 of 42,765
  excuse my naivete...why would you turn off the upsampling mode?
i don't use any DSD btw....just tidal hifi, and my own ripped alac, flac and 24/192 purchases from 7digital.ca

I answered your question... you were not sure if the app was doing native upsampling... the answer is, it is by default. I turn off upsampling as I want my 44.1/96/88 or 192Khz tracks to play at their native resolution and not be molested by my DAC. If it doesn't bother you and you are ok with it. No need to turn it off.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #31,390 of 42,765
I'd interested to try a Mojo as a desktop DAC (I'm not a headphone guy).  I've searched this thread, but it doesn't seem like there's a consensus for a bargain micro USB to use for a desktop solution (ala the infamous Belkin USB gold back in the day).  I'm not really interested to spend more than 20-30 bucks, so the AQ cinnamon is out.  Also looking for a quality USB charging cable. Any other suggestions?  Anker perhaps?

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #31,391 of 42,765
  Keep me in the loop. I have not ordered yet (and just built a long OTG cable for a phone that I no longer use) to pair with Mojo for time being. N3 is also one that I'm considering. The Fiio X3ii looked nice, but I need/want Tidal to stream to the device/Mojo as well.

I just don,t know if Mojo via coaxial is a s good, better or worst than USB input. Have you read anything about that?  Anyway, I ordered the Cayin N3 usb c to coaxial cable which looks so nice....hope that it sounds as good as it looks!!! :p 

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #31,392 of 42,765

I just don,t know if Mojo via coaxial is a s good, better or worst than USB input. Have you read anything about that?  Anyway, I ordered the Cayin N3 usb c to coaxial cable which looks so nice....hope that it sounds as good as it looks!!! :p 

I think that Rob watts gives his preference for sound quality as USB>optical>coaxial

There were plenty of people using coaxial, so you may find it suits your needs.
I mainly use optical, because it is very clean sound, but USB sounds slightly brighter to me. I haven't tried coaxial.

I am hoping that the Hugo 2 will provide both clean and bright with USB. Heres hoping.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #31,393 of 42,765
  I think that Rob watts gives his preference for sound quality as USB>optical>coaxial

There were plenty of people using coaxial, so you may find it suits your needs.
I mainly use optical, because it is very clean sound, but USB sounds slightly brighter to me. I haven't tried coaxial.

I am hoping that the Hugo 2 will provide both clean and bright with USB. Heres hoping.

Yes I've read that Rob says that too. On my main system, I much prefer listening the Chord 2Qute with my Siltech coaxial cable rather than my DH Labs Mirage USB cable which is a very good USB cable.USB cable always sound too sterile . But never try coaxial input on the Mojo since I always use the USB because my Shanling M1 doesn't have a coax output. But with my new Cayin N3, I will have the chance to try t out. I know that a lot of people are using coaxial on their Mojo but don't know what their impressions when comparing it the usb input.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #31,394 of 42,765
Yes I've read that Rob says that too. On my main system, I much prefer listening the Chord 2Qute with my Siltech coaxial cable rather than my DH Labs Mirage USB cable which is a very good USB cable.USB cable always sound too sterile . But never try coaxial input on the Mojo since I always use the USB because my Shanling M1 doesn't have a coax output. But with my new Cayin N3, I will have the chance to try t out. I know that a lot of people are using coaxial on their Mojo but don't know what their impressions when comparing it the usb input.

In the early Mojo days (say just over a year ago), there were a lot of posts regarding the best coaxial cables and plugs to use. But once a consensus was reached, the posts seemed to die down, because there were no issues left to solve - plus I presume that most coaxial users must have been happy.

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #31,395 of 42,765
In the early Mojo days (say just over a year ago), there were a lot of posts regarding the best coaxial cables and plugs to use. But once a consensus was reached, the posts seemed to die down, because there were no issues left to solve - plus I presume that most coaxial users must have been happy.

It would be great to find these posts back. I don,t even know that there was a post on this topic!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back