Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 28, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #30,721 of 42,765
I have the "Audioquest Forest USB Micro Digital Audio Cable" (length: 75 cm) arriving in the coming days to connect with my Mojo

S7 Edge or Windows 10 laptop > "Audioquest USB Dragontail" > "Audioquest Jitterbug" > "Audioquest Forest USB Micro Digital Audio Cable" > "Mojo" >  optional: "Arrow 5Tx" amplifier to enhances bass (connected via Silver interconnect) > SE846 (with HeadphonesLounge silver cables)

Hope this will prove to be the ultimate setup for me.

Will keep you posted

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #30,722 of 42,765

Optical is still possible on desktop. My motherboard has an optical header. Just a matter of getting a part to take it to the slots at the back.

@blazer78 If I recall you said you used Apple chargers. I think they are noisy with Mojo. Did you read, "FAQ in 3rd Post", or not?

Yes, I've read the section regarding charging noise. The Apple 1 amp charger is supposed to be low in noise/virtually "silent", not in my case however. The noise completely stops when the Mojo is powered on, still, the charging noise while it is off, is quite bothersome.

I am confused now. I mean I bought an Anker thinking the Apple ones were noisier. However I must have misread.

Moving on though. It was determined that some of the early Mojos has something like noise caused by a regulator. Something to do with charging circuit I think. It's probably linked somewhere in the third post. Or you could use search thread to find it.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #30,723 of 42,765

My LCD-X should arrive tomorrow.

I'd be interested in your comparisons of driving it from the Mojo directly and with external amps.

Yeah, start with the Mojo 4 clicks down from the line level volume preset. With the LCD-X you'll barely be able to use the volume range of the Liquid Carbon if the Mojo is feeding 3Vrms to the input (unless you like damaging your hearing). I know, I used to own the Liquid Carbon and have the LCD-XC (both the X and XC are very easy to drive).

That goes for you too!

I did a bit of research and at least know that plenty of people love the LCD-X direct from Mojo. But I'm curious how much the sound changes when you use it with an external amp. I often read about people getting stronger dynamics with really powerful amps. It's certainly not a power issue since it's so easy to drive, so it would come down to the design of the amp.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #30,724 of 42,765
Still feeling my way around with the Mojo (a few days in now). I am using the iPhone 6 to feed the Mojo and (for now) a pair of Shure SE-535 IEMs at the backend. When I swapped out the Chord-supplied USB cable for another generic USB cable, the Mojo did not work. I then inserted the Chord-supplied cable and the Mojo good to go.

So what's with the USB on the Mojo? Are there certain characteristics of USB cables that I have been missing? 
confused.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #30,726 of 42,765
My replacement Mojo has a little QR code and a number (in white) between the two headphone jack. The original unit didn't have such a mark nor the many Mojos seen in pictures all over the web. Can somebody that has bought Mojo recently confirm that it now has that mark?

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #30,727 of 42,765
  My replacement Mojo has a little QR code and a number (in white) between the two headphone jack. The original unit didn't have such a mark nor the many Mojos seen in pictures all over the web. Can somebody that has bought Mojo recently confirm that it now has that mark?

That's normal. Chord changed it to include that late last year. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #30,729 of 42,765
i have three questions and if the response is a definitive yes to them then there is a very high 90% chance i will buy a hugo. there is a very good deal near where i live.

1) can hugo effortlessly drive beyer dynamics dt 880 600 ohm headphones with complete authority and no distortion at loud levels?

2) if i start with a fully charged hugo can i play and charge at the same time for as many hours as i want without worrying about the battery running out.? and wait for it the cruncher...3) can i switch hugo off and disconnect the charger when i finish using it and just plug it into the charger and switch hugo back on when i want to use it again.(assuming that as ive been playing and charging previously the battery drain will have been minimal, routine full charges from time to time is ok)  ie i can only leave hugo charging when i am actually using it playing music due the fact that i do not feel comfortable leaving an electric appliance like the hugo charging while im asleep or out of my flat for safety. thanks to all mk. normally im out alot as well.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #30,731 of 42,765
Any mojo owners with the T1 2nd gen?
I found the t1 to be better thank Thr hd800 and other comparable headphones... Is mojo a hood synergy for T1 2nd ed?

As I said to you before - I had the Mojo and T1.2 but I no longer have them.

I know that Peter loves the combo but for me it was decent but not good enough for fast dynamic stuff especially considering the T1.2 price. It seems that the T1.2 pairs best with a serious desktop amp.

I have since got the AKG K612 pro (for £88 on Amazon UK) and liked it out of the box but the overall sound was a bit disjointed - but now after considerable burn-in time I am finding it remarkably good particularly for vocals but overall finding it enjoyable. I reckon that the K612 should pair well with the Mojo and give it some sparkle in the treble that I found I was missing with the Mojo.

Anyone pairing the K612 with the Mojo?

How are you liking your Cowon Plenue 2 DAP - I thought that you liked it and thought that it was comparable and if not better than the Mojo?

p.s. This thread has become very easy to skim through especially since Mython has gone AWOL.

Edit: I found the T1.2 a touch clinical and sterile for my liking and much prefer the vocals on the K612.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #30,733 of 42,765

Are you hearing noise on the headphone line or just out of the unit itself?

I have a 49xxx unit and do hear some whining out of the chord itself but have never heard anything over the headphone line itself. Using a quickcharge charger I have from my phone (provides 1.4A at variable voltages if the devices calls for it) what I hear is a bit of a whine when I first plug it in but before the charging light comes on. Then after 5 seconds or so, the charge light comes on and the whine because inaudible, unless I hold it directly up to my ear. This is using a cheapo cable from amazon I think.

What I just tried was when full (or should be nearly full) I plugged it into my laptop to charge, again with a cheapo amazon cable. Interestingly though, it did the opposite, no noise at first, then it started whining when the charge light came on (though I guess that means im not in trickle charge mode, right?). But the whine went away as soon as I actually powered on the mojo.

And I hear nothing through my headphones.

Don't know if thats helpful at all for your issue.

Just tried now out of curiosity, mine 40xxx is dead silent. Must be something with the later/higher numbers.

My new unit with 46xxx S/N unit whines like mad with it's on trickle charge. My old unit was silent with the same combo (see FAQ for setup).

I have even tried the iFi PSU to see if an even cleaner PSU will help but it didn't change a thing.

The whine is loud enough to be heard outside the room... I haven't got around of returning it yet as I don't want to be left without a Mojo for a week or so for the turnaround without guarantee that a new unit will fix it

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #30,734 of 42,765
@musickid, I am one of the few users using Beyer DT 880 600 ohm with hugo. though it will depend how loud one listens but I barely need to go beyond light blue with hugo . at light purple it will be too loud. battery in hugo is much more powerful than mojo and easily plays around 10 hours. you can switch of hugo after the use and still keep the charger plugged . however i avoid the hugo continuously switched on and charger plugged in .

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #30,735 of 42,765
  i have three questions and if the response is a definitive yes to them then there is a very high 90% chance i will buy a hugo. there is a very good deal near where i live.

1) can hugo effortlessly drive beyer dynamics dt 880 600 ohm headphones with complete authority and no distortion at loud levels?

2) if i start with a fully charged hugo can i play and charge at the same time for as many hours as i want without worrying about the battery running out.? and wait for it the cruncher...3) can i switch hugo off and disconnect the charger when i finish using it and just plug it into the charger and switch hugo back on when i want to use it again.(assuming that as ive been playing and charging previously the battery drain will have been minimal, routine full charges from time to time is ok)  ie i can only leave hugo charging when i am actually using it playing music due the fact that i do not feel comfortable leaving an electric appliance like the hugo charging while im asleep or out of my flat for safety. thanks to all mk. normally im out alot as well.

@musickid, I am one of the few users using Beyer DT 880 600 ohm with hugo. though it will depend how loud one listens but I barely need to go beyond light blue with hugo . at light purple it will be too loud. battery in hugo is much more powerful than mojo and easily plays around 10 hours. you can switch of hugo after the use and still keep the charger plugged . however i avoid the hugo continuously switched on and charger plugged in .

1) I got plenty of volume from the Schiit Fulla with that headphone, and obviously the Mojo/Hugo has even more power. But it may not be ideal in this case. I haven't used it with other amps either, so I can't comment further.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back