Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #30,153 of 42,765
As a commuter, I have been looking for a really good set-up to take with me on the train, and I've found it. Obviously the Mojo is what makes this all work and I'm delighted with this result:

The Mojo is connected, via the Coax, to a FiiO X3 second gen.

Add perhaps the best closed back cans - and certainly the best closed headphones I have ever tried (beating the Sennheiser Momentum 2, Audio-Technica ath-msr7, V-Moda M-100s, etc.), the attached BeyerDynamic DT770 250 Ohm. The Mojo drives these so well, taking off any harshness in the highs which I noted from a different DAC connected to the DT 770s. 

I have not found the DT770 cable to be clumsy. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #30,156 of 42,765
I actually bought both. The OTG male to male cables are pretty short in length on amazon , so I bought the male to female also so I can hook up a longer usb cable if I need the length. Was just wondering if there was a degrade in SQ from the extra connections with the micro usb male to female to usb cable. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #30,158 of 42,765
Hugo is clearly better to me than Mojo in all areas. If between Mojo and Hugo, I'd get the used Hugo. But then again when Hugo2 comes out you'll wanna get the Hugo 2 so id just wait and get the latest if reviews are good. (Highly doubt reviews will be bad.)

Yes of course, I would much prefer the brand new Hugo 2. However I don't think I could bring myself to spending nearly double compared to the original Hugo (second hand of course), that is ALOT of money for me.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #30,159 of 42,765
  Anyone charge there Samsung Galaxy wirelessly while using it with the Mojo? Was wondering if you run in to any overheating or performance issues? 

I had no problem keeping my S7 sat on its wireless charging pad with the Mojo also powered into the mains. I do live in UK though so doesn't get particularly hot here
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #30,160 of 42,765

Yes of course, I would much prefer the brand new Hugo 2. However I don't think I could bring myself to spending nearly double compared to the original Hugo (second hand of course), that is ALOT of money for me.

I'm going through similar thought processes now. I'd really like a Hugo 2 but from a cost/SQ view is the Hugo 2 worth 4.5x more than the Mojo, especially if I only drive Shure SE846 IEMS's (at the moment). The Hugo 2 is a lot of money to me too, but its my 50th in a few weeks and want to treat myself
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #30,161 of 42,765
I'm going through similar thought processes now. I'd really like a Hugo 2 but from a cost/SQ view is the Hugo 2 worth 4.5x more than the Mojo, especially if I only drive Shure SE846 IEMS's (at the moment). The Hugo 2 is a lot of money to me too, but its my 50th in a few weeks and want to treat myself :wink:

Just my two pence worth. I would be happy with the stellar performance of the Mojo and spend any money you have on realty nice IEMs/CIEM's. I suggest the Noble range. But I am a bit of a fanboy for Noble!
(Fanboy despite being ten years ahead of you! :wink: )Congrats on the birthday BTW. :)

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #30,162 of 42,765
Just my two pence worth. I would be happy with the stellar performance of the Mojo and spend any money you have on really nice IEMs/CIEM's. I suggest the Noble range. But I am a bit of a fanboy for Noble!
(Fanboy despite being ten years ahead of you!
wink.gif
)Congrats on the birthday BTW.
smily_headphones1.gif

Only ones I'd consider an upgrade on my SE846's are the K10U/Encore/Katana and they are £1699. I got my SE846's off the forums for £470
wink.gif
  and always looking for some 2nd hand K10U's/Encore but rarely offered 
frown.gif

I consider SE846's really nice IEMs as do many people.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #30,163 of 42,765
  I'm going through similar thought processes now. I'd really like a Hugo 2 but from a cost/SQ view is the Hugo 2 worth 4.5x more than the Mojo, especially if I only drive Shure SE846 IEMS's (at the moment). The Hugo 2 is a lot of money to me too, but its my 50th in a few weeks and want to treat myself
wink.gif

As has been touched upon earlier, the Hugo 2 is reportedly the second best DAC in the world, beating ones that cost tens of thousands and even over a hundred thousand, and losing only to the DAVE...so that's a pretty insane value in that context. To be fair, this assessment is only based on one person's impressions, but he has a lot of experience comparing the best DACs, so those hold a lot more weight than they normally would. He told me that although he owns the Mojo and likes it for portable use, it's not even close to the DAVE. He also posted about how it was difficult to tell the Hugo 2 and DAVE apart without going back and forth directly.

Anyway, it's the type of thing that, in my opinion, should only be purchased when you have the headphone (or speaker) side of things pretty well taken care of. In other words, you're in love with your headphones and want to take their sound to the next level. (As opposed to still trying to find better headphones.)

Since I don't use IEMs, I really can't tell you how yours compare to the competition. Perhaps you should go to a meet or something and compare the Mojo and Hugo 2 directly with your headphones before making a decision.

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #30,164 of 42,765

As has been touched upon earlier, the Hugo 2 is reportedly the second best DAC in the world, beating ones that cost tens of thousands and even over a hundred thousand, and losing only to the DAVE...so that's a pretty insane value in that context. To be fair, this assessment is only based on one person's impressions, but he has a lot of experience comparing the best DACs, so those hold a lot more weight than they normally would. He told me that although he owns the Mojo and likes it for portable use, it's not even close to the DAVE. He also posted about how it was difficult to tell the Hugo 2 and DAVE apart without going back and forth directly.

Anyway, it's the type of thing that, in my opinion, should only be purchased when you have the headphone (or speaker) side of things pretty well taken care of. In other words, you're in love with your headphones and want to take their sound to the next level. (As opposed to still trying to find better headphones.) Since I don't use IEMs, I really can't tell you how yours compare to the competition. Perhaps you should go to a meet or something and compare the Mojo and Hugo 2 directly with your headphones before making a decision.

what I would like to see, once the Hugo 2 comes out,
(and i suggested this in the hugo thread with some agreeing with me),
is a DAC slamdown, in the $2-3k range.
beerchug.gif

-chord hugo2
-schiit yiggy
-sim neo 280D
etc.

now that would be fun,
though i do have one colleague who 
contends that most DACS, within a similar price point,
(give or take $500) won't sound that much different in SQ.
..true or not i'm unsure...a side by side comparison inevitably will happen.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #30,165 of 42,765

what I would like to see, once the Hugo 2 comes out,
(and i suggested this in the hugo thread with some agreeing with me),
is a DAC slamdown, in the $2-3k range.
beerchug.gif

-chord hugo2
-schiit yiggy
-sim neo 280D
etc.

now that would be fun,
though i do have one colleague who 
contends that most DACS, within a similar price point,
(give or take $500) won't sound that much different in SQ.
..true or not i'm unsure...a side by side comparison inevitably will happen.

I'm sure someone will do this.

Maybe @Torq will add the Hugo 2 to his dac auditioning list since the process to get a Hugo 2 won't be that difficult and returns won't be bothersome either. His write-ups are pretty entertaining and on point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back