Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 22, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #9,721 of 42,765
  It is always better to give Mojo bit perfect files and let Mojo do the work, as the processing within Mojo is much more complex and sophisticated than a mobile or PC.

So when you have an app that has a volume control, and no bit perfect setting, then set it to full volume on the app on the assumption that this will keep the data closer to the original file.

The volume control function on Mojo is much more sophisticated than the PC as I employ noise shaping and I do the function at a very high internal sample rate. Hopefully using the volume set to max on the app will mean the volume coefficient is 1.0000000... so it will return the original data.

Rob 

Thanks a lott Rob.
I am very lucky to get your reply on my query.

Thanks for such a wonderful product. This thing has truly changed the whole DAC industry.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #9,722 of 42,765
Very good info tht should be added to FAQ!
Volume control on mojo, other volume should be maxed out.

I wanted to ask a similar question but for the Hugo instead. Can I assume same settings applies?

Thanks Rob/Chord

Yes. Fingers crossed on whether the app has digital gain! Hopefully max = 1.0000..

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #9,723 of 42,765

Very good info tht should be added to FAQ!
Volume control on mojo, other volume should be maxed out.

I wanted to ask a similar question but for the Hugo instead. Can I assume same settings applies?

Thanks Rob/Chord

Yes. Fingers crossed on whether the app has digital gain! Hopefully max = 1.0000..

Now this is tricky, if one app has the digital gain > 1.0000, then that's not a very good input for Mojo(it will contain distortions).
How do we know if at max. volume the app has the digital gain <= 1.0000 ?

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #9,724 of 42,765
Now this is tricky, if one app has the digital gain > 1.0000, then that's not a very good input for Mojo(it will contain distortions).

I'm also curious about this, about to read up on the Android player thread, but also, what do you guys have experience with?

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #9,725 of 42,765

Tht I think you will need to ask the manufacturer/developer of the app in particular and pray they are as responsive as Chord. :grinning:

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #9,726 of 42,765
You can always do a listening test. If set to max against 50% say, and it hardens up (becomes brighter) with loud recordings then its clipping. If on the other hand the perception of sound-stage depth is reduced, then the volume control is degrading the sound.

If you do that test and can hear no difference then don't worry, its a good app volume control.

Rob

PS for fun I just did a very quick test using Dave. I listen to radio 3 using the BBC iPlayer. I normally have it set to max. I reduced the iPlayer volume control to half, boosted Dave volume control by +6dB - and yes I felt sound-stage depth was worse with lower iPlayer volume. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #9,727 of 42,765
I've added two of Rob's posts about the volume control to the FAQ

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #9,728 of 42,765
I don't have anywhere near me that has this to test. But I'm seriously considering getting this for my HD800. Think I'll order this off Moon Audio, as I can't find any other retailer I know that is selling it, and that has it in stock. I currently have a Lyr/E17 set up. I'm saving up for a better set up for my HD800, but that will be a couple years. With all the reviews and impressions, I'm honestly excited to see how this pairs. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #9,729 of 42,765
Given that you still hear music with the dx80 volume at zero then it would be bypassing the volume control completely (like most DAP's digital output). No need to adjust the volume on the dx80 I believe. As per Rob's post above, if you can adjust the volume on digital output then you should maximize it.

You are right. DX80 has fixed outputs. Doesn't matter, what the volume setting is if you use lo or digital out.

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #9,730 of 42,765
I've been feeding my beloved mojo from A dx80 (it's a dap) via coaxial, but I've always had the dx80 volume on 0 and only controlled the volume on my mojo.

When I use my android note 5 I have to have the volume midway and still control volume with mojo, should I turn both dx80 and note 5 volume on max and then also control volume on mojo?

What is the best way, for the best possible sound. For both the Dx80 and note 5

Do you notice any difference in sound when you hook up mojo with dx80 or note5?

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #9,732 of 42,765
Can anyone tell me how come I only have 32bit on my Macbook Pro? Which one do I choose?

32bit is the highest bit depth available, you can't change it as its only a display of the max bit depth.

To the Mojo you typically want to have the Sampling Rate to be what the file's Sampling Rate is or else the computer will up/down sample if all your files aren't the same sampling rate. For example, if you only have all lossy files like MP3 and AAC or cd rips then you want to set the sampling rate to 44.1 and there will be no up/down sampling at all. If you have a mix of high resolution files and lossy and cd quality then one of them will be up/down sampled depending on the sampling rate you choose. Of course the music will still play with pretty much any sampling rate you choose, but it's not optimal with the Mojo.

The best solution is to purchase a third party software like Audirvana+ that will output the sampling rate native to the file you are playing.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #9,733 of 42,765
32bit is the highest bit depth available, you can't change it as its only a display of the max bit depth.

To the Mojo you typically want to have the Sampling Rate to be what the file's Sampling Rate is or else the computer will up/down sample if all your files aren't the same sampling rate. For example, if you only have all lossy files like MP3 and AAC or cd rips then you want to set the sampling rate to 44.1 and there will be no up/down sampling at all. If you have a mix of high resolution files and lossy and cd quality then one of them will be up/down sampled depending on the sampling rate you choose. Of course the music will still play with pretty much any sampling rate you choose, but it's not optimal with the Mojo.

The best solution is to purchase a third party software like Audirvana+ that will output the sampling rate native to the file you are playing.

Thanks. I'll try give it a try.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #9,734 of 42,765

I am giving the numbers randomly just to normalize the output volume in different scenarios.
So, will there be any difference in sound output ?

EDIT:

having read Rob Watts reply edited existing post.
Now to try for myself. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back