Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #4,546 of 42,765
From the impressions gathered about the Geek Out V2 ($299), it seems that the Geek Out V2 is such an improvement over the V1 that some even prefer it over the Chord Hugo...but than again it seems it's mostly a preference thing and a very few who have both the Mojo and Geek Out V2 seems to say it's very close in performance and really comes down to preference again.  
I have also read that out of principle, because of the way LH handles business and the form factor of the V2, the Mojo is still the choice for some.

Sorry, to ramble on... I'm just trying to do my research and am thinking out loud. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #4,547 of 42,765
From the impressions gathered about the Geek Out V2 ($299), it seems that the Geek Out V2 is such an improvement over the V1 that some even prefer it over the Chord Hugo...but than again it seems it's mostly a preference thing and a very few who have both the Mojo and Geek Out V2 seems to say it's very close in performance and really comes down to preference again.  
I have also read that out of principle, because of the way LH handles business and the form factor of the V2, the Mojo is still the choice for some.

Sorry, to ramble on... I'm just trying to do my research and am thinking out loud. :D

That about sums it up.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4,548 of 42,765
If you want a close fit, here is a an optical from Sys concept they are working on. The optical cable is epoxied into place but you can never pull on the cable to remove it.  You have to remove the toslink a little and then the mini end and back and forth and keep the Mojo and whatever source you are using, stable but it works well and is almost like having no connection as there is little protrusion. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #4,549 of 42,765
if i misjudged your post , then none offence taken - i am not into popular sports

anyway, i will be hoping a demo unit can land in greece , like i said (and i am good at managerial thinking) , there is only profit to be made by sending anywhere (not just in Greece or bangladesh) a demo unit of a quality product

it is one of the most basic law of markets - if a product is good and you can experience its quality in person (and not through other people's experience) , you will probably end up buying it 

I have worked with a LOT of retail businesses and I don't think I've ever seen a retailer expect to get a demo unit from a manufacturer! At a large UK electrical company we had hundreds of computers and laptops taken out of sellable store know for demo purposes at any point in time.

If the Greek dealer you mention will sell a whole lot of units go and hassle them and tell them to buy one extra for demonstration.

I mean of course you are right if Chord sent a unit to every stereo shop in the world for free then I am sure that they would sell more than with the current tactics - but would they make any money? So if it were you in Chord's position where would you draw the line?

EDIT - if you do buy from a UK retailer you will have a return period if you don't like it, I think that the rules are pretty similar for all of Europe too, maybe try that route?

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #4,550 of 42,765
So a quick post to ask for some opinions. What did all of the Nexus 6P folks decide was the best way to go with the Mojo? USB C  

Anyone?

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #4,551 of 42,765
  If you want a close fit, here is a an optical from Sys concept they are working on. The optical cable is epoxied into place but you can never pull on the cable to remove it.  You have to remove the toslink a little and then the mini end and back and forth and keep the Mojo and whatever source you are using, stable but it works well and is almost like having no connection as there is little protrusion. 

I don't understand why Sysconcept make all this effort to make a nice compact optical cable, but do nothing at all to make these fragile things more robust. They are missing a trick, here!  That ultra-compact cable in the above photos could be very easily enshrouded by making a 2mm-3mm thick plate (rigid plastic or carbon fibre, etc.), and then epoxying the fragile optical cable (and the plug flanges) to this plate/substrate, and neatly covered with some heatshrink.

Something approximately like this:

I appreciate that a degree of compromise would be involved, in terms of some flexion perhaps being desirable, to reduce strain on the toslink sockets, but the way that cable currently is, it's going to get wrecked in no time...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  (don't worry; I can take constructive criticism
wink.gif
)

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #4,552 of 42,765

Sorry, to ramble on... I'm just trying to do my research and am thinking out loud. 
biggrin.gif

I only have a couple of hours on both the Geek Out V2 and the Mojo driving a pair of HD800.  My *very* preliminary conclusion Hugo > Mojo > GOV2... but this could change. First, I used the GOV2 single ended. Logic (and reviews) suggest that it's much better running balanced.  I will be able to do this later this week once I make a converter cable.  Second,  I wasn't listening to them back to back though both were compared to a HiFi-M8. In the next couple of weeks I will do a head to head between the GOV2 balanced and Mojo driving HD800 and Westone 5ES.

--mark

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #4,553 of 42,765

I don't understand why Sysconcept make all this effort to make a nice compact optical cable, but do nothing at all to make these fragile things more robust. They are missing a trick, here!  That ultra-compact cable in the above photos could be very easily enshrouded by making a 2mm-3mm thick plate (rigid plastic or carbon fibre, etc.), and then epoxying the fragile optical cable (and the plug flanges) to this plate/substrate, and neatly covered with some heatshrink.

Something approximately like this:

I appreciate that a degree of compromise would be involved, in terms of some flexion perhaps being desirable, to reduce strain on the toslink sockets, but the way that cable currently is, it's going to get wrecked in no time...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  (don't worry; I can take constructive criticism
wink.gif
)

If the source and Mojo are secured together, as you would want anyway, there is no strain on the cable. I see what you are saying but I also think they are trying to keep the cost not high and if you start making a mold for each length needed in this niche market, the cost may be prohibitive. The AK and the iBasso DX80 both have the same distance for the optical port so it does work for AK and the latest iBasso. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #4,554 of 42,765
he told me he has already sold 5 units , what's the definition of real intention ?

also is it true , that if he buys a demo/open box he can not sell it before 12 months lapse ?

anyway , as someone who is one try away from buying a mojo , all i am saying is ''why not work something out so that we can demo this bloody marvellous thing you built'' ?

i can always buy a used one here in 1-2 months , i don't really care - the only people who take a loss from the non existence of a demojo :p  is you and the official dealer

hoping a demojo :p  will land in Greece soon

(or sent me one so i can organise a demo tour with 3-4 greek members i know in here :evil:  )

cheers

To be fair, your dealer should just open one Mojo (since he already sold 5) to be a demo for you guys.
I don't think it's fair for your dealer to request from Chord one free of charge demo.
For your information, my favourite shop in Singapore does pay for a Mojo to be a demo for us. But knowing the sound quality of Chord, I bought one on the spot even without any testing.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,555 of 42,765

if i misjudged your post , then none offence taken - i am not into popular sports

anyway, i will be hoping a demo unit can land in greece , like i said (and i am good at managerial thinking) , there is only profit to be made by sending anywhere (not just in Greece or bangladesh) a demo unit of a quality product

it is one of the most basic law of markets - if a product is good and you can experience its quality in person (and not through other people's experience) , you will probably end up buying it 

I think you should really discuss this with the local distributor. Generally it's the local distributor's responsibility to order certain number of units as an initial batch (e.g. 20 units), and provide some of these as "demo" units to the local shops. This is how it usually works in most countries and brands that I have dealt with.

Manufacturers only give out "demo" units if they are some upstart garage maker who wants market penetration, but Chord is already pushed to the limits of production with the high demands for Mojo. There's really no point for giving freebies at this point. Even if they did provide demo units to Greece, nobody there could purchase one if the distributor didn't secure the stock for sale anyhow, so there is no merit.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #4,556 of 42,765
I have worked with a LOT of retail businesses and I don't think I've ever seen a retailer expect to get a demo unit from a manufacturer! At a large UK electrical company we had hundreds of computers and laptops taken out of sellable store know for demo purposes at any point in time.

If the Greek dealer you mention will sell a whole lot of units go and hassle them and tell them to buy one extra for demonstration.

I mean of course you are right if Chord sent a unit to every stereo shop in the world for free then I am sure that they would sell more than with the current tactics - but would they make any money? So if it were you in Chord's position where would you draw the line?

EDIT - if you do buy from a UK retailer you will have a return period if you don't like it, I think that the rules are pretty similar for all of Europe too, maybe try that route?

well , this is the only store in Greece selling the Mojo , if it was a country where there are 100 stores selling mojo i wouldn't have raised the issue

anyway , like i said , i wll probably end up buying one from the FS threads in the upcoming months , so no biggie

i understand chord's policy , it just seemed strange (and i am not pointing the finger to anyone here , chord or the official vendor) for not having one mojo unit for demo purposes

btw, if i were in chord's position and the only store in a EU country asked for a demo , yeah i would probably send one  - it's good publicity/karma/business move (imho)

i mean the store makes like 2-3K euros a month and chord makes (i don't know the number , but if it has sold let's say 10,000 mojo it probably made more than the store) euros

anyway , let's get back on track 

cheers

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #4,558 of 42,765

So a quick post to ask for some opinions. What did all of the Nexus 6P folks decide was the best way to go with the Mojo? USB C  

Anyone?

I read, someone got the standard usb-c to micro-usb cable on amazon to work. I will quote the post, when I find it.

Edit: Found it. Discussion started around Post# 4263

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #4,559 of 42,765
I ordered from Moon Audio but they were back ordered for two weeks and TTVJ had it available today (with few extras) so placed an order with Todd. Should ship out later today.
I guess I got lucky. 

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,560 of 42,765
Who would have thought that a vinyl junkie would have mojo..... Oh, wait.... :tongue_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back