Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 19, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #11,582 of 42,765
Don't thing a Chrod DAP is a good idea... I would bet my last dollar that people will start complaining about UI, firmware updates, Android or whatever other OS updates and so on. I'm happy with my magic pebble as it is

If i had enough money, i would buy Sony division for DAP and Chord division for Hugo, then marry the UI of Sony with the sound of Mojo and calls the subsidiary company "Chorny".

"It sound corny until you heard a Chorny"

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #11,583 of 42,765
ok guys now i wanna buy the MOJO for my T90 , so all i need for the great experience is a T90+ MOJO , connect t90 to mojo , connect mojo to my computer and that's it ? i don't need anything else right ? 

also my motherboards has this feature called USB DAC-UP : Clean, low-noise power for your Digital-to-Analog Audio converter

you can see it here : GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) ( in the middle of the page)

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170X-Ga... Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Certified Motherboard Supports 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Dual Channel DDR4, 4 DIMMs Intel® USB 3.1 with USB Type-C™ - T...

View on www.gigabyte.com
Preview by Yahoo

so i should connect the mojo to the DAC UP usb port right ? will it help ?

and last question , my mother has a feature called AMP UP which you can see in that page , how does that effect my mojo ? does that even effect it ?

also there is a GAIN BOOST switch on the motherboard which in their page they say : 

Exclusive onboard 'Gain Boost' selector switches :

+ Select either standard 2.5x or high-amplification 6x mode. 

+ 6x mode is ideal for high impedance speakers and headphones

should i turn the GAIN BOOST on or off ? 

​
 ​

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #11,584 of 42,765
May i ask how is the Mojo performance as a Dac only mostly against the chord hugo.

My take on Mojo vs Hugo

* Sound - Hugo wins. Not much in it but enough to matter. Clearer, cleaner sound. More euphoric, spine tingling moments.
* Hugo is the better DAC for use in home Hifi systems

* Portability - Mojo wins
* Ease of charging on the move - mojo wins because of USB
* Phone interference - Hugo wins - zero with Hugo. When Phone on edge or GPRS , Mojo transmits this noise. Hugo never
* Ease of use - Mojo. Just connect and away you go. Don't need to select the source. Also remembers last volume.
* Cost - Mojo wins
* Better value for money - Mojo wins

I have both and keep the Hugo (now) for DAC home use only. There isn't much between the two but I do feel that the Hugo provides a better quality input as a DAC.

If I had to get rid of one of them , I would lose the Mojo

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #11,586 of 42,765
Ladies, gentlemen,

long time listener, first time caller (on this thread anyhow). I'm very close to spending my hard-earned on the Mojo but have a question re: cables that isn't answered in post 3 (not that I can see anyhow).

I currently have a Cozoy Astrapi for use with my iphone which came with a lightning to micro USB connector. Does anyone have any experience of using a single cable like this vs a CCK and Separate USB cable?

Thanks in advance
tim

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #11,587 of 42,765
Yes. Several have been discussed in prior posts. I have two (one from Lavri and a Chinese one from Taobao). Both work fine. At least two others have been reported to work. None of this proves yours will but it seems likely. Buy the Mojo and don't look back.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #11,589 of 42,765
ok guys now i wanna buy the MOJO for my T90 , so all i need for the great experience is a T90+ MOJO , connect t90 to mojo , connect mojo to my computer and that's it ? i don't need anything else right ? 

also my motherboards has this feature called USB DAC-UP : Clean, low-noise power for your Digital-to-Analog Audio converter

you can see it here : GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0)
 ( in the middle of the page)

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z170X-Ga...

[COLOR=999999]Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 Certified Motherboard Supports 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Dual Channel DDR4, 4 DIMMs Intel® USB 3.1 with USB Type-C™ - T...[/COLOR]

View on www.gigabyte.com

Preview by Yahoo

[tr] [/tr]

so i should connect the mojo to the DAC UP usb port right ? will it help ?

and last question , my mother has a feature called AMP UP which you can see in that page , how does that effect my mojo ? does that even effect it ?

also there is a GAIN BOOST switch on the motherboard which in their page they say : 

Exclusive onboard 'Gain Boost' selector switches :

+ Select either standard 2.5x or high-amplification 6x mode. 

+ 6x mode is ideal for high impedance speakers and headphones

should i turn the GAIN BOOST on or off ? 

​
 ​

OmidelF, Rob Watts has posted a few times saying that the Mojo should handle the original signal with no up sampling or effects added if you want the cleanest best digital to analogue conversion with the Mojo. What most don't realize is how insane the computational power inside the Mojo is. It's likely far and away better than the motherboard sound card. I suggest you read Rob Watts' latest posts on the subject to get a better understanding.

The long and short is don't process your music before it hits the Mojo.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #11,590 of 42,765
My take on Mojo vs Hugo

* Sound - Hugo wins. Not much in it but enough to matter. Clearer, cleaner sound. More euphoric, spine tingling moments.
* Hugo is the better DAC for use in home Hifi systems

* Portability - Mojo wins
* Ease of charging on the move - mojo wins because of USB
* Phone interference - Hugo wins - zero with Hugo. When Phone on edge or GPRS , Mojo transmits this noise. Hugo never
* Ease of use - Mojo. Just connect and away you go. Don't need to select the source. Also remembers last volume.
* Cost - Mojo wins
* Better value for money - Mojo wins

I have both and keep the Hugo (now) for DAC home use only. There isn't much between the two but I do feel that the Hugo provides a better quality input as a DAC.

If I had to get rid of one of them , I would lose the Mojo

Just thinking out loud here..... I wonder if the smoother tuning in the Mojo would account for all of these differences you mention as Chord has said the Mojo is just as capable as the Hugo. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Hugo at all, but if the frequency response is simply slightly brighter that would explain a lot of these differences. For my tastes I love the tuning of the Mojo and I don't find the fidelity in the music to be lacking really. Timing and imaging are spot on so that leaves the frequency response. It would help if I actually compared the Hugo side by side with the Mojo. Thanks for sharing.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #11,591 of 42,765
If i had enough money, i would buy Sony division for DAP and Chord division for Hugo, then marry the UI of Sony with the sound of Mojo and calls the subsidiary company "Chorny".

"It sound corny until you heard a Chorny"

Checking out the thread updates with morning coffee. This one made me smile
biggrin.gif

Personally though, I'd call the conglomerate "Sord".
"You've haven't been overawed, until you've listened to a Sord"
beyersmile.png

There's probably another one based on "going overboard", but I think I'll quit while I'm ahead lol
deadhorse.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #11,592 of 42,765
Just got my VE ZEN 2.0 Earbud.
I am feeling heavenly after pairing with my Mojo even it's just out of box.

I feel like, i will never use HD650 again :frowning2:.

I think i got my Ultimate combo: For portable(Mojo+ZEN) and home(Mojo+Genelcs).
Thanks to Headfi community, otherwise i would have never got to know about this awesome sounding 300 Ohms Earbud.

FYI.. I am in minority, i can't wear IEMs more than 10 seconds even, that's the reason i can never buy and enjoy products like Sennheiser IE800 or Shure 846 :frowning2:.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #11,593 of 42,765
  Ladies, gentlemen,

long time listener, first time caller (on this thread anyhow). I'm very close to spending my hard-earned on the Mojo but have a question re: cables that isn't answered in post 3 (not that I can see anyhow).

I currently have a Cozoy Astrapi for use with my iphone which came with a lightning to micro USB connector. Does anyone have any experience of using a single cable like this vs a CCK and Separate USB cable?

Thanks in advance
tim

Hi, I don't think they Cozoy Astrapi cable works for mojo as I have one and couldn't get it connected. As for CCK vs single cable, someone pointed out that it drains the phone battery by 10-20% faster

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #11,594 of 42,765
Originally posted by Uzi2

Why does the DAP have to go? What will you be using as transport for the Mojo? I'd have thought the X3ii would serve you well. Whether you go for closed back (travel type) headphones or more isolating in ears, there is a huge choice and by keeping your existing transport (X3ii), will leave more money to spend on them.

currently using my iPhone as transport. But you're right, will be keeping it for the moment. Just learnt that I get some stuttering when playing some DSD256 files, so gonna have to work out whats the bottleneck...

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #11,595 of 42,765
looks like a killer setup.

and you know, at the same time i can't wait til portable audio further evolves
and companies like chord and iFi come out with models that are slimmer, lighter and a bit less bulky
..let's face it we all want a chord mojo and highly respect Chord, alongside companies like iFi:
just the form factor for lightweight portability just isn't there....esp when you're sandwiching together multiple devices
for even more bulk and wanting to walk around enjoying your music.

...now that imo is truly fab form factor.
they're lightweight, small, unobtrusive...what is not to love....
yes of course neither the sound nor versatility
will equal that of the mojo. but that thumb sized form factor, coupled with decent
sound, will appeal to alot of people.
and Darko alludes to such (and in the comments)

excerpt:
 Mobile device compatibility on the new DragonFlys might not be a big deal to everyone but head-fiers will likely appreciate how this solution is (quite literally) millimetres from being an inline DAC/amplifier, deftly side-stepping the need to strap on a bulkier box (I’m looking at you Chord Mojo). Plug an OTG USB cable into your Android device or hook a CCK into an iPhone and connect either DragonFly Red or Black for portable audio that’ll sound considerably better than your phone’s headphone socket.

please don't misunderstand me: I'm looking forward to supporting Chord and iFI
(i will be receiving a micro idsd soon, for example)
and am considering the mojo too....but I'd not be honest if I said that I won't
also be checking out the new Dragonflys.

I think we're still in the early stages of where portable
audio will move esp as we get more and more smartphones coming out with supposedly good dacs
(LG G5, LG V10, Samsung S7) or lighter daps like the AJ Jr or Sony A26

and i dont' think it'll take many yrs, w the way technology speeds along,
to make such changes in form factor...if there is a demand for it.

Who wouldn't like a credit card size Mojo? :)
But we might have to wait for that level of innovation and technique a couple of more decades.
Till then Mojo in its current size is quite portable and enjoyable imo. :)

When you imagine that the Mojo was Chords attempt to get the Hugo's sound in a more portable device, I think you can say they have succeeded (compromises have had to be made) and for those who could or would not stretch to a Hugo at £1k+ have looked at and purchased the Mojo (ME!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back