Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 19, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #11,611 of 42,765

The most amazing experience was when I tried using the Mojo as a line level DAC against dCS Debussy for a Focal Utopia setup. Mojo sounded pretty good and very much organic. It certainly didn't hint the slightest about the vast price difference involved...

I was enjoying the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The wife said I don't like your "music" so I changed it to something she likes, John Denver, I didn't tell her the source was the Mojo.

John Denver moved her to tears in a very short time, something I'd never seen before  *, its without doubt a very involving sound when used as a line level DAC.

*Or perhaps that's when I told her how much it cost. :)

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #11,612 of 42,765

I was enjoying the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The wife said I don't like your "music" so I changed it to something she likes, John Denver, I didn't tell her the source was the Mojo.

John Denver moved her to tears in a very short time, something I'd never seen before  *, its without doubt a very involving sound when used as a line level DAC.

They may have been tears for your wallet, as she now plans to ask you to buy one for her too :wink:

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #11,613 of 42,765
  so if i'm using it in home all the time ( since i have a open headphone ) is it ok to let in connected all the time ? so that it wouldn't run out of battery 

I always do that on my Mojo and it seems to be OK.

I had one peculiar incidence when I was using the Mojo on a home theatre amp, as soon as I plugged in the charging USB cable to the Mojo (from MSI Z97I motherboard), my speakers started making a high pitched whining sound.

Basically what happened was, charging caused noise to spill out from the motherboard, which went through the chassis ground to HDMI cable to TV to HDMI cable to the AV amp, which caused the speakers to emit noise. As soon as I unplugged the charging USB cable or the PC's HDMI cable, the noise stopped completely. It was a really weird ground loop thing...

Anyhow the bottom of the story is that the charging should not cause issues or deteriorate the sound of the Mojo, but the act of charging the Mojo may cause noise to the external devices depending on how things are all wired up.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #11,614 of 42,765

Apparently one of the big reasons why Mojo is so popular nowadays is because they can be easily sneaked into the household without the other family members needing to know about the price.

"Oh it's just some cheap old thing I found at a garage sale for $20...."

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #11,616 of 42,765

Apparently one of the big reasons why Mojo is so popular nowadays is because they can be easily sneaked into the household without the other family members needing to know about the price.

"Oh it's just some cheap old thing I found at a garage sale for $20...."

Totally agree.

The wife never even asked, "What's that?", "How much did it cost?" when I first brought home the Mojo, I was expecting an interrogation but no...

If I'm seen wearing a new pair of headphones which I thought she wouldn't even notice were new (same colour, size and style as my other pair) and straight away I get "Is that a new pair of headphones then?"

"Mojo great for husbands everywhere!" :)

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #11,617 of 42,765

My Mojo - N5

Nice and neat
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #11,619 of 42,765
I guess what I meant to say is that Hugo seems to be more multi-purpose and "reference" type of DAC, while the Mojo does divide opinions. I love my Mojo, but a lot of people who tried it said it sounds too different to the other headphone amps they are familiar with.

That high frequency thing is only relevant for super low impedance earphones like your DN-2000J. It's part of the reason why many headphone manufacturers bother to make high impedance headphones like 600 ohms, so that it is much less affected by the amplifier driving characteristics, provided that enough voltage is available, which both Mojo and Hugo have plenty of.

The most amazing experience was when I tried using the Mojo as a line level DAC against dCS Debussy for a Focal Utopia setup. Mojo sounded pretty good and very much organic. It certainly didn't hint the slightest about the vast price difference involved...

While we're comparing, I think the "reference" comparison would be Mojo, Hugo and Dave, so that the latest, greatest implementation is used for comparison. I'm sure from all the comments that Hugo and Mojo sound different, but how that relates to Dave would be interesting.

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #11,620 of 42,765
Hey, everyone: If you're on the fence about Mojo, here's your solution. @SonicElectronix has the Chord Mojo in stock for $599. They offer free shipping, a 60-day return policy, and an extra year warranty. You also get 10% back since the Mojo is in their VIP rewards program. Link: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_107773_Chord-Mojo.html. 

They're awesome to work with, and I've bought a few items from them. Great experience every time. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #11,622 of 42,765
If you use eq with USB audio player pro will the mojo ignore that or let it pass through? i like to reduce the bass on IE800.

With UAPP you can use EQ, so set your bass low and enjoy.
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #11,623 of 42,765

so mojo uses 2 usb slots right ? and i should connect both of them to the noiseless usb slots ? ( since there is 2 of them )

If it were me I think I would connect the data to USB DAC-UP. (I just looked on the sockets and all four pins are there on the Mojo. Though no power goes into the Mojo there.)

For powering the Mojo by USB, it depends if the USB DAC-UP port has enough current to power the Mojo. The Mojo recommended power charger is 1A, but old USB 2 is only 0.5A. (However I thought I read that USB 3 had 1A on the power rails, but I am not sure about this at all.) You need to determine the current rating of USB DAC-UP ports.

No problem either way though. If you need to get a charger for the Mojo, the power should be reasonably clean. I have one of these rated at 1A (Plug USB cable into it.)

As @Relic said though, less noise anywhere is better. If you can use both USB DAC-UP ports it would be what you want. If not, it's not a problem. It sounds like you a new to the Mojo or choosing whether to get one. I'd advise you then to read the third post. You will undoubtably come across something you want to know.

Anyway, have fun with your ultra-gaming board. I am a gamer too and use the Mojo for gaming, as well as music. I use headphones and desktop active speakers. (I am currently playing The Witcher 3. The first time I used the Mojo with TW3 I was using my speakers. I noticed that the extra transparency and detail of the Mojo made the sound more realistic. When I loaded up the game I was at a market and chatted to a merchant. It was a nice day sunny day in the game. The Mojo made it sound more like I was out in the open air.)

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #11,624 of 42,765
If it were me I think I would connect the data to USB DAC-UP. (I just looked on the sockets and all four pins are there on the Mojo. Though no power goes into the Mojo there.)

For powering the Mojo by USB, it depends if the USB DAC-UP port has enough current to power the Mojo. The Mojo recommended power charger is 1A, but old USB 2 is only 0.5A. (However I thought I read that USB 3 had 1A on the power rails, but I am not sure about this at all.) You need to determine the current rating of USB DAC-UP ports.

No problem either way though. If you need to get a charger for the Mojo, the power should be reasonably clean. I have one of these rated at 1A (Plug USB cable into it.)

As @Relic
said though, less noise anywhere is better. If you can use both USB DAC-UP ports it would be what you want. If not, it's not a problem. It sounds like you a new to the Mojo or choosing whether to get one. I'd advise you then to read the third post. You will undoubtably come across something you want to know.

Anyway, have fun with your ultra-gaming board. I am a gamer too and use the Mojo for gaming, as well as music. I use headphones and desktop active speakers. (I am currently playing The Witcher 3. The first time I used the Mojo with TW3 I was using my speakers. I noticed that the extra transparency and detail of the Mojo made the sound more realistic. When I loaded up the game I was at a market and chatted to a merchant. It was a nice day sunny day in the game. The Mojo made it sound more like I was out in the open air.)

Is there a way to use mojo with ps4?

Feb 19, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #11,625 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back