Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 18, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #11,551 of 42,765
looks like a killer setup.

and you know, at the same time i can't wait til portable audio further evolves
and companies like chord and iFi come out with models that are slimmer, lighter and a bit less bulky
..let's face it we all want a chord mojo and highly respect Chord, alongside companies like iFi:
just the form factor for lightweight portability just isn't there....esp when you're sandwiching together multiple devices
for even more bulk and wanting to walk around enjoying your music.

look at the 3 new audioquest dragonflys coming out in early 2nd quarter,
that will allegedly work with a host of ios and android devices....
will include a new Red 'turbo' model will host a better dac and amp to drive more demanding headphones.
Darko has a good review and vimeo link.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/01/ces-2016-audioquest-mobilise-dragonfly-black-red/

...now that imo is truly fab form factor.
they're lightweight, small, unobtrusive...what is not to love....
yes of course neither the sound nor versatility
will equal that of the mojo. but that thumb sized form factor, coupled with decent
sound, will appeal to alot of people.
and Darko alludes to such (and in the comments)

excerpt:
 Mobile device compatibility on the new DragonFlys might not be a big deal to everyone but head-fiers will likely appreciate how this solution is (quite literally) millimetres from being an inline DAC/amplifier, deftly side-stepping the need to strap on a bulkier box (I’m looking at you Chord Mojo). Plug an OTG USB cable into your Android device or hook a CCK into an iPhone and connect either DragonFly Red or Black for portable audio that’ll sound considerably better than your phone’s headphone socket.

please don't misunderstand me: I'm looking forward to supporting Chord and iFI
(i will be receiving a micro idsd soon, for example)
and am considering the mojo too....but I'd not be honest if I said that I won't
also be checking out the new Dragonflys.

I think we're still in the early stages of where portable
audio will move esp as we get more and more smartphones coming out with supposedly good dacs
(LG G5, LG V10, Samsung S7) or lighter daps like the AJ Jr or Sony A26

and i dont' think it'll take many yrs, w the way technology speeds along,
to make such changes in form factor...if there is a demand for it.

Quote:

the best ever sound you can get from a transportable setup with my oppo pm1

note 3--- mojo---alo mk3 B ( all lavricables ) --- oppo pm1

I have reached end game for full size headphone set up, if only you could hear what I hear amazing sound sig with tight tight controlled bass, smooth, lush, simply best ever i heard and I will not take this setup apart for at least some time

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #11,552 of 42,765
Feb 18, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #11,556 of 42,765
If I want more slam and punch (not just in the bass) do I have to change mojo (and get something else) or change se846)?

i am surprised as with my shure 846 the mojo even without amp is dam amazing

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #11,557 of 42,765
Giving the only Shure love I can these days, I have to say that my well and truly forgotten SRH1840 sound pretty darned holographic out of the mojo... Bass is a little on the soft side, but that could be more to do with my conditioning than anything.

On the flip side, most full sized headphones have sounded awful to me the past couple of years, but quite happy with the tonal balance of these...

Kudos to a great combination (amping sweetens up the treble, but mojo on its own is still great)

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #11,558 of 42,765
Trying to write up my review on the Mojo, so was using it as my DAC & amp at my desktop system instead of feeding into my dedicated headphone amp.

The difference with music is actually not massive, but when I was playing Rainbow 6: Siege, the soundstage difference was hugely noticeable and forced me to revert back to Line-out feeding my headphone amp for much better sound location details.

It was pretty surprising to confirm my initial findings like that.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #11,559 of 42,765
Hello guys!

so i bought a Beyerdynamic T90 now i have 2 options :

1. buy beyerdynamic a20 ( amp) with it + DragonFly v1.0 DAC

2. buy the Chord Mojo for it ( amp/dac)

which one do you suggest ? is Chord mojo good enough for driving the T90 ?

also is Mojo even a good amp ? or it's mainly a great DAC with a normal amp ? because every review i read about the chord is mainly focused on the DAC part of the chord rather than the AMP part of it , so is it a good amp/dac for T90 or should i get Beyer a20 with DragonFly for it ?! 

The Mojo will drive the T90 just fine.

The 'amp' in the Mojo is extremely transparent and has only one discrete active stage after the DAC, unlike 'traditional' amp sections on other devices. That's why the focus is on the DAC, which is far and above in its capability over pretty much all 'off the shelf' DACs available. As Rob has posted, you can't seperate the sound of the amp from the sound of the DAC... They are one in the same. This is also the reason there is no seperate line-out that bypasses the 'amp', because you can't, and you don't need to.

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #11,560 of 42,765
  Hello guys!

so i bought a Beyerdynamic T90 now i have 2 options :

1. buy beyerdynamic a20 ( amp) with it + DragonFly v1.0 DAC
2. buy the Chord Mojo for it ( amp/dac)
which one do you suggest ? is Chord mojo good enough for driving the T90 ?

Mojo is a very good amp. It is as powerful as the bigger Hugo, and far more powerful than many desktop amps.
A lot of people assume that it is weak because it looks small, but it's more than sufficient for T90.

As for the A20, sound quality wise, if you want to compete with the Mojo, you will need to think about the bigger Beyer A2 rather than A20.

The only reason why you might buy an A20 over Mojo is purely for the convenience of having analogue line input (which Mojo doesn't have).
Dragonfly is a pretty entry level DAC with decent enough sound. It's super convenient for mobile use. One issue is that it only supports up to 96kHz PCM, so you won't be able to experiment with DSD and higher sample rates etc, which is fun to do.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #11,561 of 42,765
My Concero HP could drive my old T90s. 250ohm with 125db sensitivity. You can drive them from a phone quite easily, not the best sound but they dont need much to make them sing. The mojo will easily get them pumping.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #11,562 of 42,765
My Concero HP could drive my old T90s. 250ohm with 125db sensitivity. You can drive them from a phone quite easily, not the best sound but they dont need much to make them sing. The mojo will easily get them pumping.

What are a few headphones or IEMs that Mojo is too weak for?

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #11,564 of 42,765
Well, just got my Chord Mojo in that I bought off our forums.  I knew it'd be small, but just didn't expect it to be this size.  And of course I had a silly moment, as I got the drivers installed, wondered why I wans't getting any audio, then it occurred to me I should probably check where the PC was sending the audio...  thank you PC for sending the audio to my monitor which has no speakers :)  It certainly has a more powerful line out level than the Fiio X5 Classic...  had to turn the speakers down real quick!

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #11,565 of 42,765
What are a few headphones or IEMs that Mojo is too weak for?

More then likely the Planars. LCD2/LCD4 and the rest like the HE400i and onwards. Id say anything from 16-300ohm with around 97db+ efficiency you should be fine with. There is quite a variety of headphones within that range. :)

It will probably sound ok with a few of the higher end headphones. But you would be pushing it to the limit. Investing in a fullsize rig will get that extra 5-10%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back