Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 3, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8,357 of 42,765
I'm sorry, I remembered wrong. I just went and checked innerfidelity's measurements. There is only with ANC on and off. Not amp on and off. I had forgotten you could listen to the amp on without ANC. Bose tunes the QC25 to sound it's optimum with ANC on and PSB tunes theirs to sound optimized with ANC off. Seems I remember the PSB sounding slightly better with amp on and ANC off too when I auditioned them. But you should try try and volume match the test to make sure the instantly louder volume of the amp on isn't what's sounding better, which is a possibility.

Yeah, volume matching is tough.  Have tried though and honestly don't think that's it - the sound just seems richer, even if not louder, with the second amp on.  Maybe doubling up on the amps is a faux pas, but if so ... oh well.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #8,359 of 42,765
Ok, ok. I give, I did get to listen to an A&K DAP once. I'd dropped by ALO HQ in Portland to meet Ken and pick up an Rx to try out. Turns out Ken wanted me to audition the Campfire Audio IEM (which btw are awesome!). I didn't know that was coming, so I hadn't brought a source. Ken pulled out what was obviously an A&K DAP. I asked if it was AK240. Nope. AK380. AK380 + Campfire Audio Jupiter almost blew my mind! However, since I didn't bring one of my own DAPs for comparison, I don't know how much of it was AK380, Jupiter, or both and really only spent about an hour with it, so I don't really include when talking about DAPs I've auditioned.

I only listened the AK240 and was not impressed. The Sony NW ZX2 and Hifiman 901S sounded better to me.

I need to pick up a DAP this week to use with the Mojo. I've been using Red Wine iMod for the last couple of years and its time for an update.
Ken

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #8,360 of 42,765
I only listened the AK240 and was not impressed. The Sony NW ZX2 and Hifiman 901S sounded better to me.

I need to pick up a DAP this week to use with the Mojo. I've been using Red Wine iMod for the last couple of years and its time for an update.
Ken

Ken - I love the matching size and two cards ports on the AK100 (original or mk II versions). Cheers

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #8,361 of 42,765

Some would say that's a better physical (and aesthetic) fit with the Mojo, anyway.

I very strongly take issue with iRiver's pricing, but now that AK100iis are fairly priced, I personally have no issue with the AK100ii

If using an AK with a Mojo, the only real downside of a 100ii, vs the 240, is probably lower downsample for DSD (over optical), and memory capacity (256gb internal + 1 slot vs 64gb internal + 1 slot.

Fortunately, 200gb microSD cards are now getting more realistically-priced, and there are many happy AK100ii + Mojo owners in this thread
popcorn.gif

So, here's wishing you happy listening!
beerchug.gif

I was thinking of using an AK120ii with the Mojo. Do you know if this has the same issue that you mentioned regarding the downsample for DSD over optical? Thanks.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #8,362 of 42,765
Ken - I love the matching size and two cards ports on the AK100 (original or mk II versions). Cheers

Thanks for your input. Am I correct in assuming that since the DAC and amp are not being used in the DAP and only by the Mojo, that the DAP won't have any effect on the sound quality? I was wondering about jitter from the DAP.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #8,363 of 42,765
I was thinking of using an AK120ii with the Mojo. Do you know if this has the same issue that you mentioned regarding the downsample for DSD over optical? Thanks.

It's a limitation of the optical standard, not the players. Optical maxes out at 192. Cheers

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #8,365 of 42,765
Ok, thanks. So then how would you have envisioned the AK240 hooked up to the Mojo?

What is the have preferred cabling connection to the Mojo?

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/2880#post_12032024

Also listed in the third post of the thread.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #8,366 of 42,765
Thanks for your input. Am I correct in assuming that since the DAC and amp are not being used in the DAP and only by the Mojo, that the DAP won't have any effect on the sound quality? I was wondering about jitter from the DAP.

Not an issue. MoJo's jitter rejection is very good, even from poor sources.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #8,368 of 42,765
  Thanks. Last question. I have ripped CD's, HD tracks and 256kb from iTunes. How does the 256kb sound on the Mojo? I have found the on better equipment, 256kb music doesn't alway sound so good.

I don't think it's that the 256 sounds any worse on better equipment so much as the higher fidelity files sound significantly better, ergo by comparison the 256 seems worse.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #8,369 of 42,765

Ken

Yeah, I'd need an A&K DAP to take home and try with my own gear before I really comment on how I really feel about them, and that's why I didn't mention having experience them in my review.

Why not just get a good old FiiO X5? It's got COAX OUT and two mSD slots. It's bigger than the AK100 mk2 and has a less mature GUI, but you can get them pretty damn cheap.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #8,370 of 42,765

Quote:

Yeah, I'd need an A&K DAP to take home and try with my own gear before I really comment on how I really feel about them, and that's why I didn't mention having experience them in my review.

Why not just get a good old FiiO X5? It's got COAX OUT and two mSD slots. It's bigger than the AK100 mk2 and has a less mature GUI, but you can get them pretty damn cheap.

If you look around you can find the early AK's really cheap (or at least you could before the Mojo sparked a new interest in them). For instance I bought my AK100 for ~$250. I also have a Fiio X3 but find the AK100's matching size to the Mojo and the better UI as well as the ability to run optical versus coax to make it a much better choice. The coax cables are a bit of a pain and more open to interference. And a good optical cable like my Sys Concept 5mm that is custom made for this stack operates really well and doesn't add much height and is nice and sturdy. With the good optical cable you can also go up to 192K, while cheaper/lower quality opticals can often be limited to 96K. 

As you can see in these pictures I've also added a DIY plate on top of the Mojo that helps with the bands staying in place and also protects the buttons/balls on the Mojo from being accidentally pressed. What you can't see is that there's a thin silicone sheet between the Mojo and the AK100 as well as between the DIY plate and the Mojo, both to help protect the surfaces of the units as well as minimize any slipping. A good 40 durometer silicone sheet (around 1/16" thick) works wonders. 

All of this is IMHO and YMMV, but I've played with a few setups with the Mojo and this is now what I carry all over the world with me. 

Cheers 

PS - Last photo shows the Mojo receiving a 192K signal from the AK100, just to prove the optical does indeed work at that rate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back