Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 3, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8,371 of 42,765

I'd rather gp the A&K route. I was thinking of the 120ii and not the 100ii. Actually though the new AK320 is only $100.00 more than the 120ii and it has the same dual chips as the 380 in case I wanted to use that without stacking.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #8,372 of 42,765
  If you look around you can find the early AK's really cheap (or at least you could before the Mojo sparked a new interest in them). For instance I bought my AK100 for ~$250. I also have a Fiio X3 but find the AK100's matching size to the Mojo and the better UI as well as the ability to run optical versus coax to make it a much better choice. The coax cables are a bit of a pain and more open to interference. And a good optical cable like my Sys Concept 5mm that is custom made for this stack operates really well and doesn't add much height and is nice and sturdy. With the good optical cable you can also go up to 192K, while cheaper/lower quality opticals can often be limited to 96K. 

As you can see in these pictures I've also added a DIY plate on top of the Mojo that helps with the bands staying in place and also protects the buttons/balls on the Mojo from being accidentally pressed. What you can't see is that there's a thin silicone sheet between the Mojo and the AK100 as well as between the DIY plate and the Mojo, both to help protect the surfaces of the units as well as minimize any slipping. A good 40 durometer silicone sheet (around 1/16" thick) works wonders. 

All of this is IMHO and YMMV, but I've played with a few setups with the Mojo and this is now what I carry all over the world with me. 

Cheers 

PS - Last photo shows the Mojo receiving a 192K signal from the AK100, just to prove the optical does indeed work at that rate. 

Thanks a lot for your comments. Btw, do you have a Noble IEM? I just ordered the K10. I have been using Sennheiser IE800's for the last couple of years and wanted to try something else. I have always heard great things about the K10's.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #8,373 of 42,765

Thanks a lot for your comments. Btw, do you have a Noble IEM? I just ordered the K10. I have been using Sennheiser IE800's for the last couple of years and wanted to try something else. I have always heard great things about the K10's.

Do I have a Noble IEM? Hmmm, let me think about it... (http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-kaiser-10/reviews/12677) 
wink_face.gif

Cheers 

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #8,375 of 42,765
I have found it is better to stack the Mojo facing the logo against the phone or my X3II. The buttons can still be accessed but there are no more accidental volume changes. Even better, the whole stack sits on Mojo's rubber bumpers on the table as opposed to the bare casing. Plus the Mojo looks great stacked, just like the miniature of something Meshuggah would use on tour (label removed).

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #8,376 of 42,765
I have found it is better to stack the Mojo facing the logo against the phone or my X3II. The buttons can still be accessed but there are no more accidental volume changes. Even better, the Gold stack sits on Mojo's rubber bumper on the table as opposed to the bare casing. Plus the Mojo looks great stacked, just like the miniature of something Meshuggah would use on tour (label removed).

Yep, that's a great option. Main reason I don't is that my custom SYS Concept cable is designed for the other direction. That's why I DIY'd the plate. Cheers

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #8,377 of 42,765
I'd encourage anyone in the market for a top tier IEM to check out the Shure KSE1500. Wow. Just wow.

Yeah, looking forward to hearing that in March at CanJam SoCal. Cheers

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #8,379 of 42,765
I have found it is better to stack the Mojo facing the logo against the phone or my X3II. The buttons can still be accessed but there are no more accidental volume changes. Even better, the whole stack sits on Mojo's rubber bumpers on the table as opposed to the bare casing. Plus the Mojo looks great stacked, just like the miniature of something Meshuggah would use on tour (label removed).

Great suggestion to have the buttons face your source. It's a good compromise and what I ended up doing with iPhone + Mojo.

Meshuggah \m/ \m/

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #8,380 of 42,765
Had my gf listen to my set up ( dx80 to mojo to se846)

She wasn't impressed, she said (clear, and detailed) but she said it wasn't a nice *separation* and lacked a *wow* factor...

I feel it sounds good and to me it's a nice sound, most of my files are 16/44.1
But even to me... It's really not Impressive for the $ it costs, I too, wanted to be wowed, I'm happy with it, but I feel for the price it should just wow...

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #8,381 of 42,765

She wasn't impressed, she said (clear, and detailed) but she said it wasn't a nice *separation* and lacked a *wow* factor...

But even to me... It's really not Impressive for the $ it costs, I too, wanted to be wowed, I'm happy with it, but I feel for the price it should just wow...

Did you tell her how much you spend on the SE846 and Mojo
popcorn.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #8,383 of 42,765

I get where you're coming from. However, for me, it's the Mojo's extremely natural sound that's so appealing. Nothing is exaggerated. Everything sounds like it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back