Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 2, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #8,281 of 42,765
Enjoying my chord mojo which came the day before Xmas... Thanks again for the recommendations guys.

Can anyone recommend a small high quality speaker around $500 hat would work very well with the mojo via 1/8th inch cable?
I'd love to take advantage of the dac/amp when I need to give my ears a rest from the headphones.

I use the self-powered Airmotiv 4s from Emotiva @$239/pair which are excellent

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-4s

At $399 you can get the 6s.  I was amazed how good they are and couldn't be happier.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #8,282 of 42,765
Portability Mojo is also goods. It is really depends on many factors

1/ are you bothered by phone call while listening ?
2/ are you good on charging both devices after about 10-12 hours of usages ?
3/ are you going to need a lot more power to drive top tier and high impedance gears ?
4/ are you going to be ok for packing and stacking a phone on top of the mojo ?
.etc....many questions that you can only answer for yourself. But all I can tell you is that Mojo offer a high quality of music performance, which is worth more than it price :D. So if your main answer is like, portability, no need phone calls, only low impedance IEMS and headphones ....etc go for a stand alone DAP. Otherwise, Mojo and a phone can net you almost everything from DSD to ....whatever....:wink:

Keep in mind though, iPhone has max of 128 internal memory only :rolleyes:

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #8,283 of 42,765

Hello all,

Sorry for this specific question, but googling wouldn't return a specific answer.

I have an iPhone 6+ and have the CCX cable.   Would benefit more using the iphone/mojo or buy a new DAP to use with my W40s?  

Sorry for the amateur question but I couldn't find answers elsewhere.   Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

Depends, how much money you want to spend. Do you like a stand alone dap or stacking devices ? Mojo is the best solution and price/performance at this price point for any DAC at the moment.

Thanks for the response

I'm more than willing to spend for a mojo, but doubt I'll ever spend to get a Hugo. Plus, I'm more concerned with "portability" at the moment.

Since I already have a semi capable DAP, is the mojo the logical starting progression point?

Thanks again!

Yes, Mojo is a logical progression point, if Sound Quality is your primary goal, but stacking is not everyone' preference, so you need to decide for yourself if it will suit you. Certainly, Mojo offers the best bang-for-your-buck, in terms of outright sound quality.

In addition to what Whitigir said, above, some of the following points are also of partial relevance to your initial question, San Man:

www.head-fi.org/t/793132/dap-recommendations-for-oppo-ha-2-plus-akg550#post_12212364

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #8,284 of 42,765
Yes, Mojo is a logical progression point, if Sound Quality is your primary goal, but stacking is not everyone' preference, so you need to decide for yourself if it will suit you. Certainly, Mojo offers the best bang-for-your-buck, in terms of outright sound quality.

In addition to what Whitigir said, above, some of the following points are also of partial relevance to your initial question, San Man:

www.head-fi.org/t/793132/dap-recommendations-for-oppo-ha-2-plus-akg550#post_12212364

Thanks Mython, that was a good read

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #8,285 of 42,765
Gonna be watching this thread now. Zambz over in the EL-8 thread caught my attention. I'm listening to these out of a Galaxy Note 5, a home laptop, work laptop, home desktop. At the moment I have a Vali for the desktop and an Audioquest Dragonfly for the laptops, but this seems like a "one stop shop" for everything. Tempted...

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #8,286 of 42,765
Portability Mojo is also goods. It is really depends on many factors

1/ are you bothered by phone call while listening ?
2/ are you good on charging both devices after about 10-12 hours of usages ?
3/ are you going to need a lot more power to drive top tier and high impedance gears ?
4/ are you going to be ok for packing and stacking a phone on top of the mojo ?
.etc....many questions that you can only answer for yourself. But all I can tell you is that Mojo offer a high quality of music performance, which is worth more than it price :D. So if your main answer is like, portability, no need phone calls, only low impedance IEMS and headphones ....etc go for a stand alone DAP. Otherwise, Mojo and a phone can net you almost everything from DSD to ....whatever....:wink:

Keep in mind though, iPhone has max of 128 internal memory only :rolleyes:

Very good points to consider, thank you

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #8,288 of 42,765
  Hello all,

Sorry for this specific question, but googling wouldn't return a specific answer.

I have an iPhone 6+ and have the CCX cable.   Would benefit more using the iphone/mojo or buy a new DAP to use with my W40s?  

Sorry for the amateur question but I couldn't find answers elsewhere.   Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

I also have the w40s and an iPhone 6. The Mojo makes a huge difference (imo) if you have been plugging your earphones directly the 6+. I mean phenomenal improvement in all areas of SQ.

That said, there might be some issues. Some have noted significant RF interference, but I believe that's only on older 2G networks. It hasn't been a problem for me on LTE. The cable requirement is clunky, to say the least. I'm getting the Lavricable solution, which is very clean. 

Stacking with the 6+ might be cumbersome because the size factors are so different. I use velcro on my 6s case, works great for me. 

Yes, it's "only" 100GB of storage. But I have about 100 red book album lossless rips and about 50 hi-res albums on mine, so that's a pretty good selection for me. Of course, I'm very interested in the SD module that's been proposed by Chord. Love to be able to add another 200 GB of music!!

In terms of "bang for the buck," it's a clear winner!!!

Hope that helps in addition to the great advice you've already been given.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #8,289 of 42,765

I also have the w40s and an iPhone 6. The Mojo makes a huge difference (imo) if you have been plugging your earphones directly the 6+. I mean phenomenal improvement in all areas of SQ.

That said, there might be some issues. Some have noted significant RF interference, but I believe that's only on older 2G networks. It hasn't been a problem for me on LTE. The cable requirement is clunky, to say the least. I'm getting the Lavricable solution, which is very clean. 

Stacking with the 6+ might be cumbersome because the size factors are so different. I use velcro on my 6s case, works great for me. 

Yes, it's "only" 100GB of storage. But I have about 100 red book album lossless rips and about 50 hi-res albums on mine, so that's a pretty good selection for me. Of course, I'm very interested in the SD module that's been proposed by Chord. Love to be able to add another 200 GB of music!!

In terms of "bang for the buck," it's a clear winner!!!

Hope that helps in addition to the great advice you've already been given.

Wow, that's very helpful to hear from someone with the exact same potential setup, thank you!

I do plug my W40s directly into the iphone, and I notice that I can get easily get to full volume on the iphone, but there seems to be a bit of distortion introduced at that volume level.   Primarily in the bass/mid-bass region.  I'd wager to say that the iphone amplifier is the weakest link so to speak.   In my past careers, I sold mainly car audio but dabbled in home audio, and it was generally thought that it's always better to have "more" power in order to be able to set the amplifier gain to its lowest setting.  I'm assuming the same can apply to this field of audio?

As far as the network interference, I'll probably stick to ALACs (and later FLACs) as I don't currently stream music or plan to.   Hopefully that was what you're referencing to?

Would you mind linking me that Laviricable solution please?

Mahalo guys!

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #8,290 of 42,765
Wow, that's very helpful to hear from someone with the exact same potential setup, thank you!

Would you mind linking me that Laviricable solution please?

Mahalo guys!

Here is one link: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/digital-chord-hugo-mojo-pure-solid-silver-lightning-interconnect-for-ios-upgrade-cable-by-lav-2015-12-28-cables-europe

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #8,291 of 42,765
Here is one link: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/digital-chord-hugo-mojo-pure-solid-silver-lightning-interconnect-for-ios-upgrade-cable-by-lav-2015-12-28-cables-europe

Thank you.   I spelled it wrong, no wonder it didn't show up on google.

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #8,293 of 42,765
I recently purchased a pair of Grado Magnum V6 (w/ Flats) and am loving it with the Mojo. What a great paring! Really loving it! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #8,294 of 42,765

Can someone please tell me the point of this considering the signal is purely digital at that stage of the chain? 

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #8,295 of 42,765
Can someone please tell me the point of this considering the signal is purely digital at that stage of the chain? 
Ergonomics for me. Copper can be a bit stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back