Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 2, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #8,266 of 42,765
Enjoying my chord mojo which came the day before Xmas... Thanks again for the recommendations guys.

Can anyone recommend a small high quality speaker around $500 hat would work very well with the mojo via 1/8th inch cable?
I'd love to take advantage of the dac/amp when I need to give my ears a rest from the headphones.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #8,268 of 42,765

Difficult to tell, from your photograph, whether that is plaited wire or co-axially braided. If it is co-axially-braided, then yes, that's about as good as one could reasonably hope for (75 ohms is generally considered the best specification, but it's not absolutely critical).

You have a pretty decent setup there.

The comments about USB vs Optical were aimed at the reliability of the outputs of the iMac, rather than the reliability of the inputs of the Mojo.

Just a l17 cable

Aren't you using a DX80 in that picture?

Fiio L17 (correction: L19) cable is for use with Apple devices that would otherwise require CCK, are they not?

So how can you be using an L17 cable with a DX80?

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #8,270 of 42,765
I'm still on my mission for a new transport for my mojo.
The DX50 is nice sounding but the touchscreen does my head in.

I have a DX90 feeding my Mojo/Hugo. Have you tried Rockboxing you DX50? As that changes your UI experience and sorts out gapless playback. Battery life isn't as good though.

Edited to make better sense

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #8,271 of 42,765

Aren't you using a DX80 in that picture?

Fiio L17 cable is for use with Apple devices that would otherwise require CCK, are they not?

So how can you be using an L17 cable with a DX80?

Google is a good friend

Hahaha - my mistake! I got mixed-up between L17 and L19 - I had a 'brain-fart'
biggrin.gif

Apologies @ Lurk & NaiveSound

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #8,272 of 42,765
Hahaha - my mistake! Apologies @ Lurk & NaiveSound

Not a problem, yes it's a dx80 (very buggy) that company just thows %&$# together and sells it.

But I wonder if I am using the best cable or *transport* period to feed my beloved MOJO! Which I love Oh so much

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #8,273 of 42,765
AFAI can see, that L17 cable does appear to have a braided co-axial sheath, so it's got most of the bases covered.

As for the DX80 - well, you have more experience of that than me, but there is no special reason (other than DSD) why the DX80 should not sound just as good as any other transport, feeding the Mojo.

Ultimately, you should try for yourself to see if you can hear any difference feeding the Mojo with a PC USB, or smartphone USB OTG, or AK optical (or even DX80 optical!), or whatever.

Let us know if you find there is any significant difference in sound, when trying different options to the DX80 co-axial
beerchug.gif

Also see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/6750#post_12155980

Differences between most transports should be very subtle, when used with Mojo; to the point of being fairly insignificant, but, just for a fun, subjective, exception:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/7890#post_12203042

You are clearly bitten by the audiophile bug, so your thirst to try to get something slightly better than what you have will probably never go away! LOL

Remember that:

1. the audiophile bug sometimes leads one to seek a significant difference, even when a significant difference may not actually exist, in the present reality! It can be like an itch that you can't scratch - so it is wise to be aware of this fact, for the sake of one's sanity, and for the sake of one's finances.
  2. the audiophile bug is always subject to the Law of Diminishing Returns (i.e. once you have reached a certain level of performance, then you have to pay big money to attain only slight improvements). So, sometimes there may actually exist a significant difference, but it may be relatively small in comparison to the big chunk of cash necessary to acquire it. But because audiophile equipment can be, literally, an addiction, a wise person will think logically about whether they are paying a big chunk of cash for a small performance difference that is, or perhaps not, worth it, or if they are at risk of paying a big chunk of cash just to gain some emotional relief from their addiction (which is not the most logical or healthiest way to deal with an addiction).
  3. just because one person hears a difference does not necessarily mean that you will, too & vice-versa)

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #8,274 of 42,765
Can anyone recommend a small high quality speaker around $500 hat would work very well with the mojo via 1/8th inch cable?
I'd love to take advantage of the dac/amp when I need to give my ears a rest from the headphones.

I recently bought the Q Acoustics BT3. They are also currently reduced to about £210 from about £300-£350.

I am using a Meridian Explorer so your Mojo will do even better. On their own the BT3 do a reasonable job with my DAC but I was not spellbound by them? However when I bought a QED Reference Audio J2P cable, the BT3 sprung into life. (Nod to Chord here; Chord did a cable called the Chord iChord which can sometimes be bought on ebay.)

The BT3 work ok on desktop for size and their tone is great. They did take about two weeks to run in properly and were very bass light out of the box. Now they are bass full-full. However you need to sit a little back from them, like about a metre to hear the full bass. Sitting any closer and the bass loses a little bottom end and they sound more punchy than full and warm. They still make a good music performance though when sitting close up to them on the desktop. I would recommend them with a quality 3.5mm to RCA. (Not without.)

I wanted the same as you because I found listening without headphones, to be kind of resting. I have barely touched my headphones since. I still love my headphones but I like quality without being tied to one postion due to headphone cable.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #8,275 of 42,765
Hello all,

Sorry for this specific question, but googling wouldn't return a specific answer.

I have an iPhone 6+ and have the CCX cable.   Would benefit more using the iphone/mojo or buy a new DAP to use with my W40s?  

Sorry for the amateur question but I couldn't find answers elsewhere.   Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #8,276 of 42,765
Hello all,

Sorry for this specific question, but googling wouldn't return a specific answer.

I have an iPhone 6+ and have the CCX cable.   Would benefit more using the iphone/mojo or buy a new DAP to use with my W40s?  

Sorry for the amateur question but I couldn't find answers elsewhere.   Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

Depends, how much money you want to spend. Do you like a stand alone dap or stacking devices ? Mojo is the best solution and price/performance at this price point for any DAC at the moment.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #8,277 of 42,765
Yes, did try that, thought the DX50 would catch fire it got so hot!
I have a DX90 feeding my Mojo/Hugo. Have tried Rockboxing it?? As that changes your UI experience and sorts out gapless playback. Battery life isn't as good though.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #8,280 of 42,765
Depends, how much money you want to spend. Do you like a stand alone dap or stacking devices ? Mojo is the best solution and price/performance at this price point for any DAC at the moment.

Thanks for the response

I'm more than willing to spend for a mojo, but doubt I'll ever spend to get a Hugo. Plus, I'm more concerned with "portability" at the moment.

Since I already have a semi capable DAP, is the mojo the logical starting progression point?

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back