Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 2, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #8,221 of 42,765
I'd never ordered from Taobao before. It's a little funky as a process but manageable. You have to make two payments. The first was about $37 (price plus Taobao commission) and the 2nd a few days later after they receive th item is for shipping. I chose airmail for $7.50. So total price about $45 USD.

One cool thing is when Taobao receives the product from the manufacturer, they send you a link with photos of your actual item to inspect before you have it shipped out.
P

That's exactly the process I recently went through to secure that cable, although I think my cost was closer to $60. Cable works great though. Of course you have to wait a few days to receive it, but it's quite a bit less expensive than the other one mentioned previously.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #8,224 of 42,765
I got both and there's no comparison. The Mojo sounds more detail, more musical and the base is way better, too. I didn't volume match but don't think it would have made any difference. The Fiio is really struggling driving my T40RP but even at very low levels the Mojo is in another league. I won't use the X3II without it

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #8,226 of 42,765
How is the Mojo as a standalone DAC? I plan to sell my Hugo and get Mojo+Liquid Carbon.

Mojo works well as standalone DAC. FYI, unless you're looking in the for sale section the Liquid Carbon is sold out. Might be a while before the next batch, if ever.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #8,227 of 42,765
Mojo works well as standalone DAC. FYI, unless you're looking in the for sale section the Liquid Carbon is sold out. Might be a while before the next batch, if ever.

I found someone who wants to sell his LC :)

How would you compare the Mojo with Hugo based on DAC performance alone?

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #8,228 of 42,765
I found someone who wants to sell his LC :)

How would you compare the Mojo with Hugo based on DAC performance alone?

That's great if you can grab the Liquid Carbon, I really enjoy mine!

I'm sorry, I haven't heard the Hugo (that's why I edited my post) but to my ears the Mojo is very capable.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #8,229 of 42,765
I got both and there's no comparison. The Mojo sounds more detail, more musical and the base is way better, too. I didn't volume match but don't think it would have made any difference. The Fiio is really struggling driving my T40RP but even at very low levels the Mojo is in another league. I won't use the X3II without it

thank you.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #8,230 of 42,765
Good post. (Breathes sigh of relief.)

However please could someone from Chord tell us what colour of the volume buttons represents 2V rms. That's the line-out value I need. Others have concurred with me that they would like to know this.

I think it was Chord Electronics or Mojo Ideas who replied before and told us some hi-fi kit runs at 3V. However it doesn't answer our question of how to set it to 2V rms.

It was suggested by users that we should set it to 3V and then click back four clicks. Is that correct that four clicks take it from 3V rms to 2V rms. Does it work linearly and there are about twelve clicks from 3V to 0V please?

Double blue should do it for you!

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #8,232 of 42,765
That's great if you can grab the Liquid Carbon, I really enjoy mine!

I'm sorry, I haven't heard the Hugo (that's why I edited my post) but to my ears the Mojo is very capable.

Yeah the Liquid Carbon is really a gem. Cheers!

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #8,233 of 42,765
Jan 2, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #8,235 of 42,765
I'm still on my mission for a new transport for my mojo.
The DX50 is nice sounding but the touchscreen does my head in.
The Sony A15 is ok, sounds decent through mojo and is a nice and light combo, but it's not quite there.

So, to the shortlist:
Ibasso DX80 - This sounds like it has a fair amount of firmware issues, pops, clicks etc etc. Shame as it looked ok.
Onkyo DP-X1 - This is probably the favourite right now, but is a big unit and only really available at pricejapan, in a while....
AK100ii - Tempting but AK is overpriced, but have found one for £639, which is £160 under UK RRP
Sony Xperia Z3 compact - Get one second hand for less than £200, will it be as good as a DAP though.

I'm thinking that for ease of use and alloeing the full gamut of freqs that USB OTG is the way forward here, and the Onkyo will also do MQA, but will anybody else use MQA anyway?
Feel a bit like I'm going round in circles to be honest.
What's peoples opinions on best transport??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back