Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 1, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #8,193 of 42,765
  that's good, I do not want to pay more in shipping then the product itself.

I have a handmade one coming in and this is a Canjam attendee. He knows the folks on here and they know him. I think he is getting geared up to make various kinds of interconnects to support the Mojo. You might wanna wait as this is definitely high quality. Just a thought

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #8,194 of 42,765

I have a handmade one coming in and this is a Canjam attendee. He knows the folks on here and they know him. I think he is getting geared up to make various kinds of interconnects to support the Mojo. You might wanna wait as this is definitely high quality. Just a thought

can you PM me his name or info? or post it here?

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #8,195 of 42,765

can you PM me his name or info? or post it here?

I once advised a person who is not rich to get a cable (for COZOY item) and it was bad ..cable was from Aliexpress.
I will post once I confirm it works. I was just saying a known vendor with crazy good customer service is getting into the game and I have spent hours on the net looking for customs and this guy was polite fast responding and knows the folks that run this site.
That Aliexpress one (for Mojo to Note 4) which i waited 5 days to even process was just canceled. I said i would do a review and maybe a lot of folks would want one ( I already paid by cc so there was no reach for a free sample...not at all). 5 minutes after i said i would do a review he cancelled my order.
I sent a PM and link to that guy already to maybe you or another so that is another bad deal.

When I have this in hand and it works I will post the details and am pretty sure he and his team are gearing up for the connects the Mojo needs. A market gap needs filling and it looks like that is about to happen.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #8,196 of 42,765
 I once advised a person who is not rich to get a cable (for COZOY item) and it was bad ..cable was from Aliexpress.
I will post once I confirm it works. I was just saying a known vendor with crazy good customer service is getting into the game and I have spent hours on the net looking for customs and this guy was polite fast responding and knows the folks that run this site.
That Aliexpress one (for Mojo to Note 4) which i waited 5 days to even process was just canceled. I said i would do a review and maybe a lot of folks would want one ( I already paid by cc so there was no reach for a free sample...not at all). 5 minutes after i said i would do a review he cancelled my order.
I sent a PM and link to that guy already to maybe you or another so that is another bad deal.

When I have this in hand and it works I will post the details and am pretty sure he and his team are gearing up for the connects the Mojo needs. A market gap needs filling and it looks like that is about to happen.

Cancelling after finding out you're a reviewer...not a positive sign. Thanks for the heads-up and for proactively watching out for others. Cheers

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #8,197 of 42,765
Are the sound quality specs of a music player somewhat irrelevant when connecting the the Mojo since you are using the amp and DAC of the Mojo?

What is considered the "best" player to use and wha is the optimum connection?

Thanks,
Ken

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #8,198 of 42,765
Because they can't using chip based DAC's. Chip DAC's have two current outputs. So you need two I to V converters (amps) then a differential to single ended amp, then a headphone buffer to deliver the current. You also need a lot of analogue filtering wrapped around these amps. So why are normal DAC's so complex in the analogue domain? Two reasons:

1. Silicon DAC's are horribly noisy, as the substrate and grounds are bouncing around due to switching activity. So to counter this, it is done differentially, which means the ground noise is cancelled. It also hides the problems of the reference circuitry, which can't be made with low enough impedance on silicon. This translates to more distortion, and crucially noise floor modulation.

2. Delta sigma converters run at low rates - best is at 12 MHz - this means that there is a lot of noise that must be aggressively filtered out in the analogue section. This also applies with R2R DAC's too as these have even worse problems due to the very slow switching speed.

So to run with a single amp section you need the DAC to be single ended and to run the noise shapers at much higher rates to reduce your filtering requirements. Because the analogue section with Mojo is discrete, I can use extremely low impedance and low noise reference supplies - something that is impossible on silicon. This has the other benefit of eliminating noise floor modulation (actually there is a lot more to it than this as there are countless other sources of noise floor modulation in a DAC). To make the filtering easier, the pulse array noise shapers run at 104MHz - over an order of magnitude faster than normal. There are other benefits to running the noise shapers at 104MHz, principally the resolving power of the noise shaper. Now soundstage depth is determined by how accurately small signals are reproduced. The problem with noise shaping is that small signals get lost - any signal below the noise shaper noise floor is lost information. But by running the noise shaper at much faster rates you solve this problem too - indeed Mojo noise shapers exceed 200dB THD and noise digital performance - that's a thousand times more resolving power than high end DAC's.

If I get time today I hope to publish noise floor modulation measurements showing Mojo has zero measured noise floor modulation. This level of performance does not happen on any other non pulse array DAC's at any price, and its the primary reason why Mojo sounds so smooth and musical.

Rob

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #8,199 of 42,765
i have never listened to dsd or extremely high quality file like that,  and i want to experience it on the mojo because the mojo is allready amazing with se846.

where could i get just 1 file , it doesn't matter what song or whatever, i just want to experience a great mastered track in a nice file on my mojo,  i wanna see what the magic is about,  how can i find this one track>

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html has the free files for you to compare since the same file is converted to various formats

The other is Blue Coast music. Pure DSD or analogue -> DSD processing. Very good mastering as well for all the music they produced. They have free tracks if you register with them

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #8,200 of 42,765
Yes 4 clicks down will set it too 1.9v (both balls indigo). Each step is always a 1 dB change.

Rob

Good post. (Breathes sigh of relief.)

However please could someone from Chord tell us what colour of the volume buttons represents 2V rms. That's the line-out value I need. Others have concurred with me that they would like to know this.

I think it was Chord Electronics or Mojo Ideas who replied before and told us some hi-fi kit runs at 3V. However it doesn't answer our question of how to set it to 2V rms.

It was suggested by users that we should set it to 3V and then click back four clicks. Is that correct that four clicks take it from 3V rms to 2V rms. Does it work linearly and there are about twelve clicks from 3V to 0V please?

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #8,201 of 42,765
  Just to make it 100% clear - the USB input will measure absolutely identically to the coax or optical inputs if the USB data is bit perfect.

I have set up my APX555 so that it uses the USB via ASIO drivers, and I get exactly the same measurements on all inputs - 125 dB DR, THD and noise of 0.00017% 3v 1k 300 ohms. I have done careful jitter analysis, FFT analysis down to Mojo's -175dB noise floor, and can measure no difference whatsoever on all inputs (with the APX always grounded on the coax).

If somebody does measure a difference its down to mangled data on the USB interface (or perhaps poor measuring equipment - Mojo is way better than most test equipment). Mojo can't convert 16 bit data back to 24 bit....

Rob 

I'm not sure what it is about the iMac's USB, but it is problematic, for sure. And indeed, I expect Mojo to outdo most measuring setups. I'm sure Jude's awesome unit is up to snuff.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #8,202 of 42,765
I'm not sure what it is about the iMac's USB, but it is problematic, for sure. And indeed, I expect Mojo to outdo most measuring setups. I'm sure Jude's awesome unit is up to snuff.

Jude's awesome unit?

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #8,205 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back