Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 2, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #8,206 of 42,765
@iKE1985: Not Mojo created, but when my wife and I toured the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen we learned that workers there used to live on the premises and had a daily beer ration. When they were sick, they got more beer!
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #8,209 of 42,765
Jan 2, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #8,210 of 42,765
Jude's awesome unit?

As Rob just mentioned, at the Head-Fi office, we happen to have the same audio analyzer that Rob is using, which is Audio Precision's flagship APx555. We've had it for a while, and I'll finally be saying more about it soon. I think it's fair to say that it's the quietest, most precise audio analyzer currently made, and should be able to get the full measure of any current audiophile DAC, amp, preamp, etc., and is also pretty fantastic for acoustic measurements (which we pair the APx555 with a G.R.A.S. 45CA for). To help with our acoustic measurements, we're also working with a company to have a custom lab-grade sound and vibration isolation chamber built (which should be completed in the coming couple/few weeks)--the chamber will also be EMI-shielded, which may or may not come in handy on occasion.

We've been doing audio measurements for a while (acoustic for about a year, and electronic for a little less than half that), and, again, will be saying more about it all very soon.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #8,211 of 42,765

As Rob just mentioned, at the Head-Fi office, we happen to have the same audio analyzer that Rob is using, which is Audio Precision's flagship APx555. We've had it for a while, and I'll finally be saying more about it soon. I think it's fair to say that it's the quietest, most precise audio analyzer currently made, and should be able to get the full measure of any current audiophile DAC, amp, preamp, etc., and is also pretty fantastic for acoustic measurements (which we pair the APx555 with a G.R.A.S. 45CA for). To help with our acoustic measurements, we're also working with a company to have a custom lab-grade sound and vibration isolation chamber built (which should be completed in the coming couple/few weeks)--the chamber will also be EMI-shielded, which may or may not come in handy on occasion.

We've been doing audio measurements for a while (acoustic for about a year, and electronic for a little less than half that), and, again, will be saying more about it all very soon.

Thread officially derailed. Anyway, excited for it.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #8,212 of 42,765
  Thread officially derailed. Anyway, excited for it.

Sorry--I didn't mean to go too far off-topic.

Back to the Mojo (which, by the way, measured very impressively in our preliminary measurements of it).

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #8,213 of 42,765

Looking forward to reading more about it (and hopefully resulting measurements) around Head Fi.

:beerchug:

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #8,214 of 42,765
Art Lande's "While she sleeps" sound great. To anyone whose a fan of classical music especially Finaly Fantasy sountracks(actually some of my fav classical), this sounds very much like them-in the sense of the melodies he creates. Unlike them though, only the piano is used in this album. Sometimes u feel like either he or Uematsu borrowed from each other.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #8,215 of 42,765
@iKE1985
: Not Mojo created, but when my wife and I toured the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen we learned that workers there used to live on the premises and had a daily beer ration. When they were sick, they got more beer!
:beerchug:

Very cool-I'd heard of that wonderful workplace accommodation before. : P

If your a beer guy check out the following(some of my best of 2015)

North Coast - Le Merle saison
Victory - Dirt Wolf IPA
Victory - Harvest Ale
Victory - Storm King Stout
Three Floyds - Zombie Dust IPA
Three Floyds - Yum Yum Ale
Schlafly - TIPA
Great Lakes - Christmas Ale
Great Lakes - Chill Wave IPA
Ballast Point - Grapefruit Sculpin IPA

That's all I can remember off the top.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #8,216 of 42,765
Yeah, see... I'm not an IPA guy. My wife? Yup. Me? Nope :eek:

I do like the North Coast Belgians, though. And I enjoyed some Trader Joe's Belgian-style 2011 Vintage Ale I've had stored away in the cellar while jamming the Mojo + Edition X.

See, I got that turned around to Mojo eventually :wink_face:

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #8,218 of 42,765
Sorry--I didn't mean to go too far off-topic.

Back to the Mojo (which, by the way, measured very impressively in our preliminary measurements of it).

How does the Mojo measure compared to the Hugo?

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #8,220 of 42,765
Follow up to Art Lande in DSD + Mojo IN THE DARK:

So I listened to Art Lande's "While She Sleeps" in total darkness(except for the mojo lights) tonight. I find that listening to anything in total darkness allows the brain to focus all its attention to the auditory sense instead of processing visual information. Doing so increases detail dramatically for me.

Anyway, the session was awe inspiring. Art really likes to hold notes and let them fade into oblivion-dancing together as they fade. Anyone whose played piano knows the feeling and sound of a piano key fading away. The way Art uses the silence in his playing is one of his finest abilities.

With the mojo, IPhone 5 via Onkyo HF and my A12's I was able to hear the subtle vibrations the fading notes made in the air, as they merged-played off each other and dissolved-the subtle little sounds they made as they dissolved into each other-much the same way two small waves at the end of their reach can merge into each other as they extend into the shore.

Other times it was as if dual waterfalls rolled over the precipice, completely separated by a small piece of land. I was able to hear every drop as it rolled off each fall simultaneously (Arte's hands playing different parts simultaneously). The thing I keep coming
back to with Mojo is musicality and detail. Like hearing in detail how his fingers release the last note and the sound the key makes as it returns to its position as it is when not being played. The DEPTH of the soundstage is something that has to be experienced. It's especially noticeable on albums like Pink Floyd's DSOM-where many layers are present in each song. Mojo seperates all those layers and shows them to you in extreme detail while preserving the musicality and feeling of the whole.

Also I got quite a shock at the end of the album when they included Art talking and fiddling with the piano. It sounded so real through my A12's I thought someone else was in the room. It really sounded like the voice was 6 feet away on my right side. Impressive stage and very trippy.

Listen in the dark some time w/mojo and some good recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back