Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 23, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #7,456 of 42,765
Are most iphone users happy with the Mojo?  Going through this thread I've read varying reports about interference with the phone, connection problems, etc.  I've never used the CCK before and am wondering if it's really that much of a pain.  What music player apps work best with it for HD audio?  Does just the basic music app work with it for 44.1 stuff?  

I've been enjoying my Mojo for s month, using e CCK on an iPhone (iTunes, Amazon Music, Onkyo, Equalizer), optical from a Mac and an Apple TV, and coax from an Oppo BDP-95. All sound great...like, really great. Others have said it, but I have to agree that the Mojo is my very best audio purchase of all time, spanning 30 years. It has made the biggest difference of any component change in "enjoyment" because it won't change the sound, just turn the sound into music better.

Also, CCK is not too bad, depending on how mobile you want to be. 44.1 probably benefits the most from Mojo, because it's conversion is so awesome.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #7,457 of 42,765
Thank you very much again for taking the time. I think that if it doesn't store you volume output in line-out mode, then it could be a problem.

I intend feeding active speakers with it as much as my headphones. I would switch it off betwen uses I think, but it means switching on maybe ten times a day. (That would mean a lot of button pressing to get it to about 1.23V rms.) I don't know how safe it is to load an input stage with 3V rms, which is almost double standard voltage. It must be OK though or surely Chord Electronics would not have done it. Others are using it as a hi-fi DAC too I think.

I hope Chord Electronics cast some clarity on this too. I hope someone tells me it's OK. I think it should be OK, as I say Chord have implemented it.

EDIT: I just checked and I see my Meridian Explorer line-out is set at 2V rms. That fits with what you said about CD players. Feeling a little more hopeful now. Thanks again 'sandalaudio'.

If you want to retain line mode (at 3v) in memory, turn it on in line mode, then click the volume down once and up once. Now you have a manual volume setting that will be retained.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #7,460 of 42,765

Please note that you won't have to manually set the Mojo back to 2v RMS every time you switch Mojo on. Mojo remembers its last used volume settings. What Mojo does not remember is line level mode. If Mojo did remember this it would, potentially, be dangerous if you were to accidentally plug a pair of headphones in without resetting the volume. This setting is accessed by pressing both volume buttons on when turning Mojo on.

As a note for all those whom are new to Mojo, you can download our instruction manual and read our FAQs from our site. This is a good place to hunt for answers to your questions: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/

Thank you. I was definitely panicking there.

Just going to summarise to be sure:
Switch on Mojo.
Press volume buttons to go into line-out mode.
Set it to 2V rms.

Next time I start Mojo:
Switch on Mojo.
It will already be set to 2V rms having remembered from last time.

Using it in headphone mode will not affect stored voltage/volume setting of line out mode.

Please can you tell me what colours to set volume to so I can get 2V right. (Or should I count the number of volume clicks down from 3V, and then set it 1/3 way down.)

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #7,461 of 42,765

Switch on Mojo.
Set it to 2V rms.

Next time I start Mojo:
Switch on Mojo.

Using it in headphone will not affect stored voltage/volume setting of line out mode.

Please can you tell me what colours to set volume to so I can get 2V right. (Or should I count the number of volume clicks down from 3V, and then set it 1.3 way down.)

No... set the volume normally, switch on normally. There is no "Line Out mode". Starting up the way you suggest will always give 3V output.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #7,462 of 42,765

Switch on Mojo.
Set it to 2V rms.

Next time I start Mojo:
Switch on Mojo.

Using it in headphone will not affect stored voltage/volume setting of line out mode.

Please can you tell me what colours to set volume to so I can get 2V right. (Or should I count the number of volume clicks down from 3V, and then set it 1.3 way down.)

They are not separate (there is no "headphone" vs "line out" mode). Line out is exactly the same as turning on the unit directly and setting the volume to the 3v position. It's only a convenient shortcut. So, turn on in line mode, click down 3-4 times, and leave it. You will have 1.8-2.2v and it will be remembered.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #7,463 of 42,765
This is how I hVe my ferrite devices setup, I also have a 1.5ft ling usb cable with a permanent ferrite device going to the mojo. I keep my phone and mojo as seperated as possible. In the pic below, I have one giant ferrite device with a smaller one inside and then another after the pair. I have a total of 4 (3 detachable) in my setup. I took them off old cables I found in my house:

Note that they are right up against the phone.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #7,464 of 42,765
This is how I hVe my ferrite devices setup, I also have a 1.5ft ling usb cable with a permanent ferrite device going to the mojo. I keep my phone and mojo as seperated as possible. In the pic below, I have one giant ferrite device with a smaller one inside and then another after the pair. I have a total of 4 (3 detachable) in my setup. I took them off old cables I found in my house:

Note that they are right up against the phone.

tht is a LOT of cores...
using this setup as portable?

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #7,465 of 42,765
 tht is a LOT of cores...
using this setup as portable?

Yes, iphone goes in my pant pocket mojo in my jacket pocket but most of my listening is at my desk. With the phone and mojo side by side the interference is lowered to such a low volume that I have to focus hard to hear it, with them seperated and the 1.5' long usb cable extended there is no interference.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #7,466 of 42,765

Rob49

Fortunately we have warranties. I'd really give one a try if you can and return under distance selling regs if experience issues (if in UK). I also am lucky that I have never had a Sony product fail on me either be it DAP's; laptops; TV's; 5.1Surround; consoles or phones.

:EDIT:

Actually that's a lie, after 11 years my launch day PSP UMD drive stopped working though the kids had been rough with if for 5 years of that! That was a Japan import at launch
wink.gif

As I said, if you've got to buy a £400 product, with an underlying fear that there may be a problem & you've got to return it, then personally I don't think that's good enough. Can anyone from Chord clarify the issue, please ? Apparently, "early batches" ? What quantities & where does that extend to ?
If I were to buy a unit, today, tomorrow, or in the coming weeks, months, can Chord guarantee that I won't have a problem with it ? If you can't guarantee that, then that's not good from a business point of view.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #7,467 of 42,765

As I said, if you've got to buy a £400 product, with an underlying fear that there may be a problem & you've got to return it, then personally I don't think that's good enough. Can anyone from Chord clarify the issue, please ? Apparently, "early batches" ? What quantities & where does that extend to ?
If I were to buy a unit, today, tomorrow, or in the coming weeks, months, can Chord guarantee that I won't have a problem with it ? If you can't guarantee that, then that's not good from a business point of view.

No company can guarantee that it's product is fault free, but they do guarantee to replace it if it is faulty.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #7,468 of 42,765
yeah however i use airplane mode when i use my android phone and mojo so I am just just wondering would it be better to use

android ( airplane mode ) --- mojo--- iem

or

ak---mojo--- iem

for better sound quality, i really hope to get more feedback and why 

I was using the AK100mk2 with the Mojo via optical. Tried it this way for a couple of weeks. Personally I cant tell any difference between this setup and my Blackberry Priv to Mojo using USB Otg. That was using either Angie's or IE800.
I've the AK now as didn't really see a need to keep apart from the fact it is a nice flush fit with the Mojo.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #7,470 of 42,765
I earlier reported a small hiss on the Mojo with my SE846.
Some people in this thread ment that the hiss was completely normal, other didn't hear it with their SE846.
I went to my retailer, and tested their SE846 on my Mojo. Same hiss. So maybe it was my mojo?
Then I tested their SE846 and mine on their mojo. Still same hiss. So I guess it's normal, and I was just too paranoid.

I also noticed that when I changed from the white filters to blue on my 846's, the hiss went down alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back