Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 23, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #7,441 of 42,765

I've never had a problem regards failure with any Sony product I own, I've got Oppo players, not a problem.

( There's already a 4 page "issues" thread for the Chord Mojo.....that's a FACT, not fear. )

Lucky you. I had 2 Sony TV's catch fire. My last Sony DVD player, the audio section completely packed up.
Hasn't stopped me buying Sony. My Mojo will connect to my Z3 which I think is a great phone.

If you've never had a product with issues, you are VERY lucky. Remember, they are made/designed by Humans. That means, nothing will ever be perfect.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #7,443 of 42,765

Just to clarify, what kind of hiss is this that we're talking about?
I got a very low sounding hiss with my SE846 (They're very sensitive though). 
Is it this kind of hiss, or is it a much louder one?

I get no hiss at all with SE846's with Mojo or iPhones or S6/Note4. Beginning to think this is really down to variations of peoples hearing (and I consider my hearing to be sensitive/undamaged) I had a audiometry test recently and perfect hearing (not damaged through load music/work in my youth and in my 40's now).

Did notice hiss with Oppo HA-2 and older Walkman phones plus a tiny amount with the ZX2.

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #7,444 of 42,765
Looks like you want to argue. There have been quite a few issues reported about Oppo HA-2 for example, most of them user error or connection issues (just like the Mojo), and just because YOU haven't experienced an issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Breadth of knowledge is powerful. The 'issues thread' does not really have many issues besides the hiss, which is mostly gone with devices in the wild as Chord has taken care of it. Everything else is a compilation of connection questions, user error, and source issues, not Mojo issues.

Like I said, either jump in and enjoy or leave it. Your choice. I'm just trying to assure you based on my experience and reading every post in this and all the other Mojo threads that you have little to fear by jumping on board if you want to. Looks like I'll just stop trying to help in your case as this could spiral out of control in the Mojo thread. If you want to continue feel free to PM me.

I'm not & I don't recall asking for your help ! I'm merely pointing out that there are issues with the Chord Mojo. ( & because of that, I have a reluctance to buy one....that would be the same for any other product, where there has been a number of posts about reported issues. )  To say in your words, that it applies to "ALL" is not true. "Leave it", if I've got an opinion, i'll voice it, whether that's negative or positive, if you can't handle that, then that's your problem !

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #7,446 of 42,765

I'm not & I don't recall asking for your help ! I'm merely pointing out that there are issues with the Chord Mojo. ( & because of that, I have a reluctance to buy one....that would be the same for any other product, where there has been a number of posts about reported issues. ) To say in your words, that it applies to "ALL" is not true. I'll leave it at that.

Rob49

Fortunately we have warranties. I'd really give one a try if you can and return under distance selling regs if experience issues (if in UK). I also am lucky that I have never had a Sony product fail on me either be it DAP's; laptops; TV's; 5.1Surround; consoles or phones.

:EDIT:

Actually that's a lie, after 11 years my launch day PSP UMD drive stopped working though the kids had been rough with if for 5 years of that! That was a Japan import at launch
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #7,447 of 42,765

I wondered if the Mojo was 3V rms but didn't dare speculate it was so high. (Especially considering it goes up to about 5V.) Maybe that's fine though.

I wasn't hoping for 1.7V peak to peak, because that's half of standard. I was quoting that line-level standard is 1.7V peak, thus 3.5V peak to peak. This correlates to 1.23V rms.

I guess it's right that a stronger voltage signal will give more dynamic range. However input Vrms is set and (generally) what amplifiers are created to gain their performance and range from. I don't know about input regulation but I think you make sense with that.

I think I would like to run the Mojo at normal line-level though. There must be a few of us doing it so I think it would help to know. I suppose since the Mojo defaults to 3V rms, then half that volume would be 1.5v rms, which is close to 1.23V rms.

Thank you for trying though. Thank you for mentioning stuff like overload protection. I hadn't thought of that. Even though I would not want to run the Mojo with more than standard line level out. I'd still feel safer though with clarification from Chord or anyone about what colour to use for 1.23V rms.

EDIT: Also please anyone, does the Mojo know if the Mojo retains its volume setting in line out more. Meaning after it has been switched off. Or when you start it up again, does it revert back to 3V rms.

I also think 3V is too high and it does give more "energetic" perception to those unaware of the fact.

In most good preamps it's not such a big deal. You simply have to turn down the volume knob a few notches. However, there will be some rare cases where input protection is insufficient. 

In line out mode (holding the two volume buttons when turning it on), Mojo defaults to 3V, so there is nothing you can do there. Basically it's not strictly a "line out" per se but just a shortcut feature to make the headphone output into fixed volume mode of 3V. As much as we would want the line output to conform to some international standard, the reality is that every brand chooses different voltage. Even RCA output from CD players can vary from 1 - 2V typically.

In normal mode Mojo does retain the volume but I would personally be on the safe side and turn it on without anything connected to begin with in case something went wrong with volume and cause sudden overvoltage. The big selling point of Mojo is its high voltage output but it can also turn against you and easily fry whatever it's connected to.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #7,448 of 42,765
How does Grado headphones sound paired with Mojo? More bass maybe?

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #7,449 of 42,765

I also think 3V is too high and it does give more "energetic" perception to those unaware of the fact.

In most good preamps it's not such a big deal. You simply have to turn down the volume knob a few notches. However, there will be some rare cases where input protection is insufficient. 

In line out mode (holding the two volume buttons when turning it on), Mojo defaults to 3V, so there is nothing you can do there. Basically it's not strictly a "line out" per se but just a shortcut feature to make the headphone output into fixed volume mode of 3V. As much as we would want the line output to conform to some international standard, the reality is that every brand chooses different voltage. Even RCA output from CD players can vary from 1 - 2V typically.

In normal mode Mojo does retain the volume but I would personally be on the safe side and turn it on without anything connected to begin with in case something went wrong with volume and cause sudden overvoltage. The big selling point of Mojo is its high voltage output but it can also turn against you and easily fry whatever it's connected to.

Thank you very much again for taking the time. I think that if it doesn't store you volume output in line-out mode, then it could be a problem.

I intend feeding active speakers with it as much as my headphones. I would switch it off betwen uses I think, but it means switching on maybe ten times a day. (That would mean a lot of button pressing to get it to about 1.23V rms.) I don't know how safe it is to load an input stage with 3V rms, which is almost double standard voltage. It must be OK though or surely Chord Electronics would not have done it. Others are using it as a hi-fi DAC too I think.

I hope Chord Electronics cast some clarity on this too. I hope someone tells me it's OK. I think it should be OK, as I say Chord have implemented it.

EDIT: I just checked and I see my Meridian Explorer line-out is set at 2V rms. That fits with what you said about CD players. Feeling a little more hopeful now. Thanks again 'sandalaudio'.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #7,451 of 42,765
  This is usually a nice friendly place or was until this guy turned up

Private groups are the place for like minded folks to share in all things (or not) in any manner they see fit. Public threads are expected to contain healthy respectful discussions of the item in the thread title

From the posting guidelines:

For any product, please stick to ONE main thread and ONE impressions thread maximum. Please do not create "appreciation" threads. People will have good and bad impressions of any product. Please be tolerant of this.

I would submit that posting an image that may cause one to feel personally insulted would seem intolerant of differing views and thus not in line with the sites guidlines

I'm not & I don't recall asking for your help ! I'm merely pointing out that there are issues with the Chord Mojo. ( & because of that, I have a reluctance to buy one....that would be the same for any other product, where there has been a number of posts about reported issues. )  To say in your words, that it applies to "ALL" is not true. "Leave it", if I've got an opinion, i'll voice it, whether that's negative or positive, if you can't handle that, then that's your problem !

From the posting guidelines:

If you disagree with someone's opinion, discuss the opinion, not the person.

A good tip is: When you start posting about the member ("You ...") instead of the product or discussion about it, then you're getting personal.
A better idea by far is to add "I think" or "IMO" (In My Opinion) to what you write. 

I know if I find myself getting upset that worst thing I can do is stuff some "you" and "your" in my post. Mods key in on that and all the legit stuff gets lost because a personal issue is clearly underway.

I am a big fanboy of this item but it's not perfect...nothing is.
State your concern and if it is not addressed then wait...delete the original and re-post. This thread is supposed to deal with the happy the mad and the sad. It is not the place for the vendors or owners it is for the entire community so enjoy it or make it better by being better.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #7,452 of 42,765

Someone just dug out the specifications of my active speakers.
It says:
Line in 1 input sensitivity: 2.0Vrms
Line in 1 input overload: 2.2Vrms

I think I mihgt have to manually set the Mojo back to about 2V rms every time I switched it on. I hope please @Mojo ideas or @Rob Watts can shed some light on this. I dont see how it couldn't be OK though, or they would not have implemented it. (Plenty of experts on this thread though I think.)

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #7,453 of 42,765

It says:

I think I mihgt have to manually set the Mojo back to about 2V rms every time I switched it on. I hope please @Mojo ideas or @Rob Watts can shed some light on this. I dont see how it couldn't be OK though, or they would not have implemented it. (Plenty of experts on this thread though I think.)

Set it once...turning on normally will remember that setting.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #7,454 of 42,765

It says:

Please note that you won't have to manually set the Mojo back to 2v RMS every time you switch Mojo on. Mojo remembers its last used volume settings. What Mojo does not remember is line level mode. If Mojo did remember this it would, potentially, be dangerous if you were to accidentally plug a pair of headphones in without resetting the volume. This setting is accessed by pressing both volume buttons on when turning Mojo on.

As a note for all those whom are new to Mojo, you can download our instruction manual and read our FAQs from our site. This is a good place to hunt for answers to your questions: http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #7,455 of 42,765
I would actually prefer that the Mojo did not remember my last used volume levels and just reset it to zero every time I powered off. I'm probably in the minority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back