Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 22, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #7,411 of 42,765
There is certainly precedence for electronics improving with some hours of use.  Yggy users have reported weeks required to burn in all the parts needed for the best results.  Amps in particular need to be broken in, and speakers even more so.  So it's expected to sound better with time.  Manufacturers sometimes specify time needed for break-in.

I'm also a big believer in brain burn in.  Your brain is a very clever computer that fairly quickly learns the sound of any new gear. It's complicated but suffice to say you need to play quite a number of tracks over a period of time for your brain to have the parameters of a what a new piece of gear sounds like linked to what your brain would like it to sound like.  We adapt.  And that cuts both ways.  Gear that sounds great out of the box can go sour in a couple weeks, and stuff that comes out sounding meh, can blossom as our brain maps it all out.  Some would call this getting accustomed to the sound.  Mojo sounded good to me out of the box and I have instructed my brain to keep it that way!

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #7,412 of 42,765
  ALL ?? NO, they don't !!  You're talking nonsense.

...you're not going to knock it are you, because correct me if I'm wrong, you were sent a Mojo, to review, for Chord ?

I certainly didn't get a Mojo to review, and it's been the best audio investment I've made in a very long time (possibly ever).  It's been perfect with absolutely no problems or glitches.  If you've decided not to buy one, that's I'm sure okay with everyone who has, but you'll be the loser.  For the money, you'll never find a device that produces better SQ.  Buy, or not -- your choice, but it's overwhelmingly clear that a large/overwhelming majority are happy with their purchase.

Happy Holidays!

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #7,413 of 42,765
I've never had a problem regards failure with any Sony product I own, I've got Oppo players, not a problem.

( There's already a 4 page "issues" thread for the Chord Mojo.....that's a FACT, not fear. )

Looks like you want to argue. There have been quite a few issues reported about Oppo HA-2 for example, most of them user error or connection issues (just like the Mojo), and just because YOU haven't experienced an issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Breadth of knowledge is powerful. The 'issues thread' does not really have many issues besides the hiss, which is mostly gone with devices in the wild as Chord has taken care of it. Everything else is a compilation of connection questions, user error, and source issues, not Mojo issues.

Like I said, either jump in and enjoy or leave it. Your choice. I'm just trying to assure you based on my experience and reading every post in this and all the other Mojo threads that you have little to fear by jumping on board if you want to. Looks like I'll just stop trying to help in your case as this could spiral out of control in the Mojo thread. If you want to continue feel free to PM me.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #7,414 of 42,765
I certainly didn't get a Mojo to review, and it's been the best audio investment I've made in a very long time (possibly ever).  It's been perfect with absolutely no problems or glitches.  If you've decided not to buy one, that's I'm sure okay with everyone who has, but you'll be the loser.  For the money, you'll never find a device that produces better SQ.  Buy, or not -- your choice, but it's overwhelmingly clear that a large/overwhelming majority are happy with their purchase.

Happy Holidays!

"you'll be the loser." lol.

He's not losing out on anything if the thing don't work. Since some do get units with no hiss and some do, there is clearly room for better QC. I do hope later batches are better in this regard.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #7,415 of 42,765
  1) Absolutely no need for an HD800 to have an extra amp

2) IE800 - you like HD800 I take it? IE800 - get Snugs to make you Custom Sleeves. Then you have a portable solution that can take on anything in the world- your budget suggests a 2nd hand purchase and then saving up for custom sleeves. Snugs are a UK company who get their sleeves done in the USA

IE800 awaiting delivery and thanks to your suggestion awaiting appointment for snugs, like the idea of an 8-10 day turnaround.

Impatient????
Who me????? 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #7,416 of 42,765
Dec 22, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #7,417 of 42,765
They could team up with one of several excellent English speaker manufacturers.  Speakers are analog and they are electromechanical.  Acoustics is a whole new science and art for a digital company.  It's better to stick to your core competence.  That said, speakers with their own amps, DSP and digital cross-overs, developed by Chord and a speaker company partner who knew the speaker side of the game could be very interesting indeed.  In fact, it wouldn't take much to turn Mojo into a two channel pre-amp for a 2-way digitally crossed speaker.  

I'd like to see Chord have a go at this now that they have nailed how to make a great DAC. 

I don't see how this can be a problem for Chord with their own In-house engineering backround. I've seen Audioquest do it from making cables, moving onto DAC the dragonfly (which is a great DAC for the price) and to Nighthawks which is also a very good headphone IMO. Few posts above also just reminded me of Oppo doing the same thing. Chord's past track record for quality proved to be superior than the AQ and Oppo in my experience so the engineering part is superior and they have just as much experience. So again I see no problem.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #7,418 of 42,765
Looks like you want to argue. There have been quite a few issues reported about Oppo HA-2 for example, most of them user error or connection issues (just like the Mojo), and just because YOU haven't experienced an issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Breadth of knowledge is powerful. The 'issues thread' does not really have many issues besides the hiss, which is mostly gone with devices in the wild as Chord has taken care of it. Everything else is a compilation of connection questions, user error, and source issues, not Mojo issues.

Like I said, either jump in and enjoy or leave it. Your choice. I'm just trying to assure you based on my experience and reading every post in this and all the other Mojo threads that you have little to fear by jumping on board if you want to. Looks like I'll just stop trying to help in your case as this could spiral out of control in the Mojo thread. If you want to continue feel free to PM me.

Just to clarify, what kind of hiss is this that we're talking about?
I got a very low sounding hiss with my SE846 (They're very sensitive though). 
Is it this kind of hiss, or is it a much louder one?

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #7,419 of 42,765
So is it officially acknowledged by Chord of issues with earlier batches of mojo? Issue is random? See your luck?

Can/will Chord offer replacements if the issue were discovered after the warranty period?

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #7,420 of 42,765
Just to clarify, what kind of hiss is this that we're talking about?

I got a very low sounding hiss with my SE846 (They're very sensitive though). 

Is it this kind of hiss, or is it a much louder one?

Much louder, and heard with no input or USB and coaxial. Sometimes a tap of either volume button clears the hiss, sometimes not. This was on very early units. You can search the thread and find many posts on the subject.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #7,421 of 42,765
Much louder, and heard with no input or USB and coaxial. Sometimes a tap of either volume button clears the hiss, sometimes not. This was on very early units. You can search the thread and find many posts on the subject.

Alright!
I can hear a hiss on my Mojo even with no input.
Turning it on (with no input) , and after it going through the color sequence, it hisses a little bit. ( very low )
It's the same kind of hiss that I have on my macbook pro + had on FiiO X5ii so I guess this is completely normal?

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #7,422 of 42,765

I'm not being funny or insulting here but I have to ask.  Do you hear the hiss with just Cans or IEMs on?  If you do it could be tinnitus you're hearing.  I might add that just putting a cup over your ears causes a hissing noise.  Remember hearing the sea when you held a shell to your ear?

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #7,424 of 42,765

I'm not being funny or insulting here but I have to ask.  Do you hear the hiss with just Cans or IEMs on?  If you do it could be tinnitus you're hearing.  I might add that just putting a cup over your ears causes a hissing noise.  Remember hearing the sea when you held a shell to your ear?

Nope, I only hear this hiss with SE846 paired with the Mojo. With the Westone W4R, it's pretty much completely black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back