Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #7,396 of 42,765
My Mojo has the dreaded startup hiss, experience by @Ivabign
 and few others. It would normally go away, if I press the volume down button or plug-in a usb cable.
So, I decided to put up with it for 3 weeks. But, this week the hiss wouldn't go away at all, it would go away after a minute or after re-starting.
The workaround was too much of a hassle and not consistently reproducible, So I have sent it back to Moon Audio. But, Moon Audio is closing for the holidays (12/24 - 12/28), hoping to get it back by New years.

Time to dust-off the HUGO.

Again, same issue that I had. It's really unfortunate that these early ones got through but it's not normal and should be fixed/replaced. It took Chord a day to fix the tour unit and send it back (on top of shipping time of course). Too bad that the holidays schedule will keep you from using it for that long.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #7,397 of 42,765
  My Mojo has the dreaded startup hiss, experience by @Ivabign and few others. It would normally go away, if I press the volume down button or plug-in a usb cable.
So, I decided to put up with it for 3 weeks. But, this week the hiss wouldn't go away at all, it would go away after a minute or after re-starting.
The workaround was too much of a hassle and not consistently reproducible, So I have sent it back to Moon Audio. But, Moon Audio is closing for the holidays (12/24 - 12/28), hoping to get it back by New years.

Time to dust-off the HUGO.

I've read a lot of positive comments about the Mojo, but also a lot of concerning stuff, which puts me off buying one.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #7,398 of 42,765
I've read a lot of positive comments about the Mojo, but also a lot of concerning stuff, which puts me off buying one.

Very few units have this issue, and if you get one with an issue it will be sorted.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #7,400 of 42,765
The bottom line is, that a £400 product shouldn't have these issue's !

ALL new devices have issues. Consumers can jump in and enjoy a product or we can keep our heads in the sand. Not trying to be snarky with you, but honestly every single launch of every single product has had some issues, at any price point. The issue percentage is very small, and again, mostly in the very early batches.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #7,401 of 42,765

Very few units have this issue, and if you get one with an issue it will be sorted.

The bottom line is, that a £400 product shouldn't have these issue's ! ( or any, for that matter ! )

Mine is Day-1 unit. Chord would have ironed out these issues by now.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #7,402 of 42,765
ALL new devices have issues. Consumers can jump in and enjoy a product or we can keep our heads in the sand. Not trying to be snarky with you, but honestly every single launch of every single product has had some issues, at any price point. The issue percentage is very small, and again, mostly in the very early batches.

And Chord do take care of any issues quite quickly such as replacements etc. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #7,403 of 42,765
Take it back. Unfortunately I had the same issue with the JH Angie with the Mojo I had pre-release for the Canadian tour. I sent it back to Chord and they fixed it promptly. The Mojo analogue out is essentially the same as the Hugo and should not hiss with IEMs. Full stop. Especially the Roxannes. Actually the Mojo has a lower noise floor than the Hugo. I didn't hear the hiss with full sized cans either and can assure you that it's not normal to hear hiss like you describe. Sorry.

You've got my hopes up now x RELIC x.  I'll head back to the hifi store tomorrow and compare mine to the demo unit.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #7,404 of 42,765

ALL ?? NO, they don't !!  You're talking nonsense.

...you're not going to knock it are you, because correct me if I'm wrong, you were sent a Mojo, to review, for Chord ?

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #7,405 of 42,765
ALL ?? NO, they don't !!  You're talking nonsense.

...you're not going to knock it are you, because correct me if I'm wrong, you were sent a Mojo, to review, for Chord ?

I'm not a fan boy and share my honest opinion. When I encountered the issue I knocked it and reported it. When I had the unit fixed I commended Chord for the prompt repair. Don't know what your agenda is but I'm just reporting my experiences. If you are interested in the Mojo I think you'd be missing out based on exaggerated fear, plain and simple.

Yes, pretty much all devices encounter a failure rate, including big companies like Sony, Samsung, Apple, etc.. The failure rate with the Mojo is reported very low. For the record I do not have the Mojo currently, just trying to help others on the forum.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #7,407 of 42,765
I'm not a fan boy and share my honest opinion. When I encountered the issue I knocked it and reported it. When I had the unit fixed I commended Chord for the prompt repair. Don't know what your agenda is but I'm just reporting my experiences. If you are interested in the Mojo I think you'd be missing out based on exaggerated fear, plain and simple.

Yes, pretty much all devices encounter a failure rate, including big companies like Sony, Samsung, Apple, etc.. The failure rate with the Mojo is reported very low. For the record I do not have the Mojo currently, just trying to help others on the forum.

I've never had a problem regards failure with any Sony product I own, I've got Oppo players, not a problem.

( There's already a 4 page "issues" thread for the Chord Mojo.....that's a FACT, not fear. )

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #7,408 of 42,765
  I picked up a Mojo yesterday.  As many have previously indicated, the DAC is exceptional.  I compared it to the Hugo DAC using the Leckerton UHA-6S amp to control for differences in the Mojo and Hugo’s respective amp sections.  I couldn’t hear a difference.  Both devices have really upped the ante on portable DAC resolution.  They depict spacial information previously only audible to me on my desktop DAC.  Unfortunately, once I got the Mojo home, I realized that its amp noise floor is quite audible with IEMs.  It’s right around the cusp of being a deal breaker.  I haven’t yet decided.

I don’t really fault Chord for this.  They know just a handful of us will take issue with this noise floor.  If they’d optimized the amp for IEM use, hundreds of fools would complain because the Mojo wouldn’t offer enough gain to their HD800s.

Running HD800s from a tiny portable amp is like pulling an oversized semi truck load with a pickup.  You might actually be able to do it.  But it’s never going to work well, as no pickup truck has sufficient power and torque for the task.

Noise floor,
on HUGO - Yes
on MOJO - No. It is a inky black background. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #7,409 of 42,765

I've never had a problem regards failure with any Sony product I own, I've got Oppo players, not a problem.

( There's already a 4 page "issues" thread for the Chord Mojo.....that's a FACT, not fear. )

That doesn't mean to say that other people never had problems with Sony or Oppo.  The Xperia Z3 had quite a few issues at launch and so did the Oppo Find 7

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #7,410 of 42,765
Someone else posted this and I didn't believe it at first but seriously, the mojo keeps getting better and better over time.
How is that even possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back