Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 16, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #6,961 of 42,765
  V10 is too new, still costs £550 in the UK, the G4 is now only £315 sim free unlocked

Yes, the pain of the price is spread out over 24 months for me. But also take into account that the phone's sound quality with the ESS DAC and amp is good enough that I feel no desire to get a DAP. So some $$ saved there. 

I'd probably use the Mojo for less "on-the-go" situations.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #6,962 of 42,765
I dug out an old 32Gb Nexus 7 which I wasn't using and which was annoyingly slow for general use. Also worth mentioning that sound from the Nexus itself is dreadful - you really wouldn't want to listen to it on its own.

Figured I had nothing to lose, so I cleaned of all the apps and junk I could and installed Onkyo HF player. £4 on a basic OTG adapter cable and is working perfectly with Mojo and sounding great.

The Nexus has more than enough to grunt to run the player as its not doing any decoding or conversion.

Not bad for a basically free solution to test things out while I consider what DAP to go with, and it really proves to me how much difference the Mojo makes to the replay chain.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,963 of 42,765
I dug out an old 32Gb Nexus 7 which I wasn't using and which was annoyingly slow for general use. Also worth mentioning that sound from the Nexus itself is dreadful - you really wouldn't want to listen to it on its own.

Figured I had nothing to lose, so I cleaned of all the apps and junk I could and installed Onkyo HF player. £4 on a basic OTG adapter cable and is working perfectly with Mojo and sounding great.

The Nexus has more than enough to grunt to run the player as its not doing any decoding or conversion.

Not bad for a basically free solution to test things out while I consider what DAP to go with, and it really proves to me how much difference the Mojo makes to the replay chain.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a DAP. You can also run Tidal over WiFi and in offline mode with that too, right?

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #6,964 of 42,765
  Personally, I wouldn't bother with a DAP. You can also run Tidal over WiFi and in offline mode with that too, right?

Pros and cons... pros and cons...

Phones have their benefits, if streaming is your thing, but then again, DAPs (if you choose carefully) offer far greater storage capacity (2x microSD).

Plus various other pros and cons for each, obviously.

Each to their own 
beerchug.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #6,966 of 42,765
By how far would you guys say the Hugo is ahead of the Mojo? Is the difference bigger or smaller than, say, AK380 vs AK240?

Ahead in slightly wider soundstage and little less warm. But small difference compared to that between a Hugo and a Hugo TT.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #6,967 of 42,765
when the USB light goes off, go your hardest. Mine took about 4 hours to charge first time

Did no one else use it straight out of the box? Goods don't have to be fully charged to use :). Especially when impatient. Actually enjoyed quite a few hours music before needing a charge.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #6,968 of 42,765
FWIIW here is my very brief comparison between the Hugo and the Mojo since i own both!

Power and volume level are to my ears pretty much the same,the volume control on Mojo is a bit more detailed and easier to change in small increments...some may like the wheel on the hugo better
The Hugo has what i will describe as a drier sound than the Mojo which is warmer....it depends on what you prefer otherwise they are very similar with perhaps a bit more detail and space on the Hugo but nothing too dramatic
The Hugo has more options for connections but the Mojo is far more portable and convenient if you are going to use it on the go......the Mojo charges with the microusb cable which is much more convenient

Bottom line for me is if i am using it in the house i tend to opt for the Hugo but if i am on the go I am always going to reach for the Mojo....At retail prices it is IMHO a no brainer to go with the Mojo,on the other hand if one can get a used Hugo at an attractive price then it comes down to the way you will use it and of course your preference in terms of sound....on balance they are both extraordinary products

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #6,969 of 42,765

I have an original 16gb Nexus 7, also rendered pretty useless by an Android update. Now used just for browsing Head-Fi, it just about copes. But out of interest I connected it to Mojo and it worked fine with the lead included in Mojo box. Why is an OTG lead required?

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #6,970 of 42,765
Hi
Loving the mojo with savants. Currently got DX50, looking at DX80 and the Pioneer XDP-100R. DX80 has coax and TOSlink. Pioneer has USB and will be updated for MQA. Must have good UI, DX50 touch screen is super sketchy.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #6,971 of 42,765
Output voltage at different loads was measured and they are exactly the same.

This is what I posted from the impressions thread. That's not even a proper blind test. Just a tight volume match and a capability to quickly switch between Hugo and Mojo. For me a 20% difference is more than significant.  I plan to do more test with iems and other inputs and other songs. So my impressions is still preliminary.

My problem with the Hugo's bluetooth is it is easy to interrupt just by touching Hugo or the DAP(AK100 or AK120) will cause the stream to drop. 

Yeah I had the same problem with the AK Jr. I think it's a general problem with Astell units, though with the Jr, the Bluetooth sounds phenomenal. Even better than wired with the iPhone as a source. Maybe it's got Aptx? With other sources Bluetooth works fine.

I based my comparison tested with 1964 V6S, so maybe what you said may have been true with headphones, though it's hard to imagine that the Mojo can output power equal to the Hugo. If so, that is indeed good value.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #6,972 of 42,765
Is that something new, because I haven't seen it mentioned before. Though someone did mention something to do with Wondows sounds and Steam alerts, when listeing to HD-audio. Is it something to do with listening to HD-audio for you? The Mojo then having to switch to lower sampling frequency sounds for the phones sounds.

It's to do with the phones Rf interference. Maybe a special cable could be used introduced to get rid of it? To me if that weren't an issue I would have jumped on the Mojo on a heartbeat. Wonder why Chord could do that with the Hugo and not the Mojo?

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #6,973 of 42,765
It's to do with the phones Rf interference. Maybe a special cable could be used introduced to get rid of it? To me if that weren't an issue I would have jumped on the Mojo on a heartbeat. Wonder why Chord could do that with the Hugo and not the Mojo?

Cool thanks. However if you're interested in post 6955 @iKE1985 says that an Audioquest cable blocks interference.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6,974 of 42,765
Did no one else use it straight out of the box? Goods don't have to be fully charged to use :). Especially when impatient. Actually enjoyed quite a few hours music before needing a charge.

Im like you, Im sure it's pure sadism on the part of the producers :)  

Cameras, phones, mojos, all follow the same path, out of the box, and straight into my grubby mitts for testing immediately. Although in the Mojo's case I did plug it in whilst listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back