Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #6,992 of 42,765
Thanks,

Mine just blinks (but blinks in 3 seconds)... so 3 seconds white light, then 3 seconds no light and so on.

I pulled it out and connect it to listen and its blue light. Not sure what the slow blinking means.

It might remind you that it is fully charged.
Well when my Mojo is charged during the listening the white lite still stays on (no blinking!)

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #6,993 of 42,765
Trying some B&O H6's, so far great synergy with the Mojo, extremely open, detailed, neutral but great bass and fast. One that's being overlooked in favour of over priced coloured alternatives in my opinion. Wasn't expecting much, very pleasantly surprised.
I tried some before I bought my PM3S. Personally I preferred the PM3s but was impressed with the H6 too, plus they are a lot lighter, enjoy!

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #6,996 of 42,765

Probably not enough juice.

Remember, you need to supply the Mojo with at least 1A, when charging

Make sure you use a proper charger that puts out over 1A. I am charging with my LG unit rated 1.8A and the light stays on until charged.

Thanks guys, I might try it over a mains and see if it stays on. Maybe that is why I have only been able to run for 5-6 hours and not near the 10 hour mark.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #6,998 of 42,765
Can someone explain how the mojo works to me? Bit confused.

I have a fiio x3 gen 2 with line/coaxial out. If I use the coaxial out, does all the processing (dac'ing) and amping gets done by the mojo? Or does the mojo just do the amping?

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #6,999 of 42,765
Can someone explain how the mojo works to me? Bit confused.

I have a fiio x3 gen 2 with line/coxial out. If I use the coxial out, does all the processing (dac'ing) and amping gets done by the mojo? Or does the mojobjust do the amping?

The Mojo can't do just the amping for a couple reasons.

1) It only has a digital input so it needs to be fed a digital signal therefore using its fantastic DAC. You can only input USB, coaxial, or optical.

2) You can't use the Mojo amp separately from the DAC because it doesn't have a seperate amp. It's the discrete variable analogue output from the DAC, and it's very clean.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #7,001 of 42,765

You need to load the high-res music separately through iTunes into Onkyo HF Player or similar. Don't bother with DSD files, the Mojo negates the need for them through the technology used and, not to mention, SACD rips of DSD will have been processed in PCM before the SACD was made anyway.

Slow your roll man, why is DSD pointless on a mojo?  Elaborate a bit so I can justify deleting all the DSD stuff I downloaded the past week(it's sucking hard drive space). 

I'd have to track down the exact post by Rob Watts, but everything in the Hugo and Mojo gets up-sampled up to 2048x and DSD gets converted to PCM. The reason DSD is popular is that the filters in many DACs are the default ones that come with the DA converter chip which are fairly poor. if you've heard regular CD-quality material through a Chord product (or a Schiit multi-bit DAC, or some of the classic high-end R2R DACs) instruments sound wonderful and natural. So it's not hard to feel that the problem is one that needs a high-resolution or DSD-based solution, but that the hype has been going in the wrong direction. There are some high-end DACs that use their own filters via a DSP or FPGA with generic ES, Wolfson, CS or AK chips which are nicer-sounding, the processing of DSD results in a smoother, less "digital" sound which a lot of people like, as I understand it because it doesn't have to be processed, most of the time, through the relatively poor filters in most DACs. Then again we have the same thing with non-oversampling DACs, which many people are fans of for the same reasons. But NOS DACs and DSD have their own issues, the latter being of the huge space they take up and the arguably false benefits of using it in the first place. So the purpose of Rob's design is to overcome the original limitations of PCM without having to resort to using any special digital formats or taking up huge amounts of storage. 

Wow... 460 pages of discussion is going on. It looks like this Mojo is very successful. 
How would  you guys compare its sound quality to that of Benchmark DAC, Teac UD H01, Teac UD 301, AK240, iBasso R10, Aurender Flow? 
Does it come close to them?? 
Does it have a wide sound stage and detail just like Benchmark DAC? 

Have a read of my Aurender Flow review on Part-Time Audiophile, or replace the Calyx M in my review of the Mojo with the Aurender Flow. Much the same deal, except the Flow to me would be most ideal with the mSATA drive storing music and iZotope-based up-sampling from a computer, or Onkyo HF player DSD up-sampling on an iPhone.

By how far would you guys say the Hugo is ahead of the Mojo? Is the difference bigger or smaller than, say, AK380 vs AK240?

Ahead in slightly wider soundstage and little less warm. But small difference compared to that between a Hugo and a Hugo TT.

I tend to think the "warmth" gives a false impression of smaller soundstage, but it's a debatable point. 
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #7,002 of 42,765

Thanks,

Mine just blinks (but blinks in 3 seconds)... so 3 seconds white light, then 3 seconds no light and so on.

I pulled it out and connect it to listen and its blue light. Not sure what the slow blinking means.

I encountered the same slow flashing condition when I was using a standard 1A iPhone charger. I asked Rob Watts about the condition and he said (and I'm paraphrasing) the slow flashing indicates the charger circuit time delay has been triggered and that the condition can be reset by plugging the charger USB in and out. He also said "The Apple charger barely manages 1A, and Mojo must have 1A to charge. Sometimes Apple chargers for iPhone do not have enough current, and you will then get flashing LED as not enough current triggers a fault too."

On this news, I decided to replace the standard 1A iPhone charger with this Anker 24W 2-Port (up to 2.4 amps per port) Apple iPhone Charger. I've not had any charging problems since.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #7,003 of 42,765

I encountered the same slow flashing condition when I was using a standard 1A iPhone charger. I asked Rob Watts about the condition and he said (and I'm paraphrasing) the slow flashing indicates the charger circuit time delay has been triggered and that the condition can be reset by plugging the charger USB in and out. He also said "The Apple charger barely manages 1A, and Mojo must have 1A to charge. Sometimes Apple chargers for iPhone do not have enough current, and you will then get flashing LED as not enough current triggers a fault too."

On this news, I decided to replace the standard 1A iPhone charger with this Anker 24W 2-Port (up to 2.4 amps per port) Apple iPhone Charger. I've not had any charging problems since.

Thanks, yeah I will see which one allows output of 1A and check to see if the light flickers. But at least I know it is not just happening to me :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #7,005 of 42,765
Yeah I had the same problem with the AK Jr. I think it's a general problem with Astell units, though with the Jr, the Bluetooth sounds phenomenal. Even better than wired with the iPhone as a source. Maybe it's got Aptx? With other sources Bluetooth works fine.

I based my comparison tested with 1964 V6S, so maybe what you said may have been true with headphones, though it's hard to imagine that the Mojo can output power equal to the Hugo. If so, that is indeed good value.

Not only AK players, it is the same behavior on my Macbook even with Apt-X enabled.

I measured the output at different loads (from 33 Ohms all the way to 600 Ohms. Mojo and Hugo has the exact same output. So yes they are the same. Goes to show how phenomenal the Mojo is considering it's size and the input option. Battery life is the only thing I see as the downside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back