Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #41,671 of 42,765
266 GBP on Thomann UK. It's my favorite headphone. Nothing sounds more natural (to me). If that's 4x or 2x or 1.5x better I can't evaluate, it's for everyone to hear and decide for themselves. I would take it over a 4k Audeze or 6k Hifiman.
The HD600 will never, ever leave my collection. And I've owned many +$1K headphones.

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #41,672 of 42,765
Is HD 600 four times better and louder?
it sells for four times the price of HD 599 SE.
Since I don't have (never heard) the 600's - I will not be able to compare, but if they are anything special, £99 isn't too much.
I do have Sennheiser IE 400 Pro's (IEM), I could compare it to them. They go for about £220 these days, well worth it, as flawed as they are!
Hope you like the HD599s. I thought they demonstrated the law of diminishing returns extremely well. In the end I sold them though because they didn't get as much use as my other headphones which cost around 15 times as much - but which certainly aren't 15 time better.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #41,673 of 42,765
Speaking about pairing Mojo with HD600 I would also try some of Ultrasone cans. The price maybe similar and I think those are interesting competitors to Senns. On the other hand when I've got Audioquest cans I am not really using Ultrasone with Mojo at all but it all depends on sound signature preferences.

Which Ultrasone you are referring to, I have Signature Pro and like more than HD650 with Mojo. Sig pro are easy to drive and sounds good with Mojo

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #41,675 of 42,765
I just ordered a HD599 SE (Amazon only black = SE) for £99.
People say it sounds pretty much like HD600, but perhaps not as good.
But hey £99 ! was worth giving it a try, if no good, there is always eBay.
If anything worth reporting, I shall post a small follow up.
OK , it arrived today on fast Prime delivery.
It lasted about 5 minutes from un-packing to re-packing to be sent back!
It is one SHOUTY BITCH!
Slightly better than those long-haul flight throw-aways.
I think I should take my ears out to dinner and dance after subjecting them to this.
Violins sounded like whistles, upper-mid painful and distorted! I even tried to listen to them at -5dB/5K and -10dB/10K to try to tame them down, but they are beyond help.
Not even worth the asking price in my opinion.
My equalized Sennheiser IE 400 Pros are far far far better.
Oh well . . .

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #41,676 of 42,765
It is one SHOUTY BITCH!
I think I should take my ears out to dinner and dance after subjecting them to this.
Violins sounded like whistles, upper-mid painful and distorted! I even tried to listen to them at -5dB/5K and -10dB/10K to try to tame them down, but they are beyond help.
Oh well . . .
HD599 is... really not worth considering buying it. I have no idea how somebody could say that they are close to HD600.
There is really nothing to compare. It's from amazon so I'm sure there won't be any problem returning them.

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #41,677 of 42,765
It is one SHOUTY BITCH!
Oh well . . .
Don't know what to say. :slight_frown:
Based on your recent posts, I had used my 598 SE tonight to listen to David Bowie in the garden, whilst sipping a GnT.
The 599 SE must be a serious downgrade compared to the 598 SE.
Hope you get your money back.

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #41,678 of 42,765
Don't know what to say. :slight_frown:
Based on your recent posts, I had used my 598 SE tonight to listen to David Bowie in the garden, whilst sipping a GnT.
The 599 SE must be a serious downgrade compared to the 598 SE.
Hope you get your money back.
I got my money back, thanx.
don't want to drag this on Mojo thread, as it is off topic abit , but the headphones were not sounding HiFi at all, everything was there but jumbled !
and that upper midrange to treble region was painful .
one thing I have always loved about Mojo has been its un-fatiguing sound, no matter the transducer.
I have some aging Q-jays , Ultimate ears, aging 300 ohm old Beyers etc. all with differing sounds, but I could listen to any of them for hours on my Mojo.
Not the HD 599s !
Shouty, painful hard sound.
life is too short for crap, at my age at least.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #41,679 of 42,765
I'm thinking of buying HD600 to pair up with my Mojo. Is Mojo powerful enough to drive HD600 to the maximum potential?

Be careful. The HD600 is as far as I am concerned a one trick pony, great for mid range, vocals. If you want bass and excitement look elsewhere.

The HD600 responds well to exotic tube amplifiers which assist the bass by adding second order harmonic distortion. I am sure the HD600 will do fine with a Mojo but you may find you will need to resort to some artificial stimulation in order for it to sound interesting.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #41,680 of 42,765
I've listened to HD650 with Mojo and it does a very good job, though these Senn series will shine with OTL tube amplifiers. Even my Utopias pairs nice with mojo. This dac/amp defines all the small details in well mastered tracks

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #41,682 of 42,765
For all the Mojo's faults the one area I can not fault is the sound quality.
Mojo does not really have any faults!
Problem is, we want it to be something it wasn't designed as, such as desktop DAC - or silly battery life.
It is a portable headphone DAC amp, not something else!
Battery life is enough at 6 hours+ (I get 8 hours+ on USB).
I mean who listens to headphones on the road, away from power, for longer than that? one in a million? one in thousend?
Small enough to put in your pocket.
It was designed 7-8 years ago, so it doesn't have fast charge, so what.
A lot of thought must have gone into design of it, not all technical.
If anything . . . it is too heavy for a shirt pocket, but not a coat pocket!
But to build it like a tank, from chunky Alu , is Chord's look! hence the extra weight.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #41,683 of 42,765
I use mojo attached to my macbook and haven't seen any issues. The only thing that I suspect is that USB interface can be noisy, highs gets unpleasant when I increase volume with Utopia, but same thing was with Qutest which is way more expensive and just a DAC. If it will be confirmed through optical I'll simply get "usb purifier" to get rid of the jitter

Many define Mojo as a warm dac, but I don't find it at all. It is not one of these warm poop sounding dac's. I could say it is not "airy" dac with favored upper treble presence, but it doesn't mean it's not there. Transients, microdynamics are killer for such a small box and nothing is lost in small soundstage. If I don't feel how drummer cuts through the song, properly define sound placement and movement within stage or small details hits me like a wet noodle than it's a game over even if dac/amp would have monstrous bass or most refined treble. Ofcourse it goes down to preferences, but to me mojo is clearly head and shoulders above my other portables. I do get an eargasm with well mastered tracks when all nuances comes into play

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #41,684 of 42,765
For all the Mojo's faults the one area I can not fault is the sound quality.
Sounds a bit silly, what could be its faults, if the sound quality can’t be criticized :)

Jul 30, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #41,685 of 42,765
Sounds a bit silly, what could be its faults, if the sound quality can’t be criticized :)

Heavy EMI/RF when 2G is enabled. My Android phone (and I suspect many others) only has a) 4G/3G/2G, b) 3G/2G, c) 3G, and d) 2G as options. So disabling 2G to make the Mojo usable means also disabling 4G - option (c). This is one problem but not insurmountable, just annoying and at times impractical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back