Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 26, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #41,476 of 42,765
Tell us more about how MScaled Mojo sounds please. I like this (even if it is crazy) idea.
Well, Mojo becomes more alive in a word. Stage comes closer, expands a bit, vocal sounds more organic and present, ant slightly instruments go to a secif their place and they have better start and stop and prolonged sound. Typical M scaler effect. Though Mojo limited, but indeed nice to hear that. If new Mojo would have built in 8x scale i think that would whole new chapter of sound coming :)

But Hugo 2 MScaled (16x) is just different league. Totally. Very very big step in every aspect.
with TT2 it is again not even comparable to Hugo2.
But i can enjoy every one of them :wink: Overall its music which catches us in the first place :))

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #41,477 of 42,765
Well, Mojo becomes more alive in a word. Stage comes closer, expands a bit, vocal sounds more organic and present, ant slightly instruments go to a secif their place and they have better start and stop and prolonged sound. Typical M scaler effect. Though Mojo limited, but indeed nice to hear that. If new Mojo would have built in 8x scale i think that would whole new chapter of sound coming :)

But Hugo 2 MScaled (16x) is just different league. Totally. Very very big step in every aspect.
with TT2 it is again not even comparable to Hugo2.
But i can enjoy every one of them :wink: Overall its music which catches us in the first place :))

I totally agree about your comments re Hugo 2 - M scaled it is indeed a very very big step in every aspect - which is why (when I could fly) I carried an M scaler in my bag.

But it's very odd that some people don't hear the improvements of an M scaler - posters range from hearing virtually no difference, to finding it absolutely essential in order to reproduce music. Of course, we all have differing sensitivities to hearing, but I don't think that fully explains why some people can't hear a significant change.

May 26, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #41,478 of 42,765
I totally agree about your comments re Hugo 2 - M scaled it is indeed a very very big step in every aspect - which is why (when I could fly) I carried an M scaler in my bag.

But it's very odd that some people don't hear the improvements of an M scaler - posters range from hearing virtually no difference, to finding it absolutely essential in order to reproduce music. Of course, we all have differing sensitivities to hearing, but I don't think that fully explains why some people can't hear a significant change.

@Rob Watts Is it at all possible that there are multiple units out there with some defect and therefore no performance improvement even when all the right connections/settings are used? Did you ever check with Chord tech support if units have come in with this complaint, been investigated, and indeed had some defect?

May 26, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #41,480 of 42,765
No that's not possible - if the FPGA had loaded the wrong code, or a fault in the code, then nothing would work. The fact that users are seeing dual data at 705/768 kHz proves everything is working correctly.
Not that I disagree, but doesn’t also video mode come through at the higher rate, even though it has a lower taps.
I think the audio laying software, like roon, may be robbing the music of its magic.

May 26, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #41,481 of 42,765
I remember some time back, there was a case where someone insisted they heard no change with the M-Scaler.

I said it's possible they had a defective unit. (I don't have M-Scaler but was basing my thoughts on what others said abot teh M-Scaler.) Other people chimed in with suggestions. Eventually the user got an exchange and said that fixed it.

May 26, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #41,482 of 42,765

I find hard to see difference maybe just smoothness in highs with 4x, but i can clearly hear 8x (both on Mojo Hugo and TT2) , and 16x is very very present change. But if you are stressed all music sounds condensed to me :) What removes stress might vary either its a ride with bike and shower, burger, smoke or whiskey or flowers to your loved ones. :) Thats an advise for those who find hard to see diferrences and they start to stress about it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #41,483 of 42,765
Listening a bit more of Mscaled Mojo i can say that overall it sounds very bassy and weighty, detail extraction is minimal, but boy the weight of bass and voice and instruments is very noticible. I think thats becouse mojo by itself has not much detail and highs. I will listen for a whole month before TT2 arrives and i can say that i can live with that.

May 26, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #41,484 of 42,765

One thing that I found odd was that the mscaler came in pass through mode when I plugged it in the first time. It also did reset itself sometimes when I removed the power as I was testing the sound change with batterie. I don‘t think it‘s the only reason and I can not imagine that so many people would order an Mscaler and not check the settings and just return it. That said I was on a german Hifi show two years ago and one dealer wanted to show me TT2+Mscaler and I sat down and noticed that the mscaler was in pass through mode.
For me it’s also much more noticeable when going from passthrough up until reaching 1m taps (hearing an improvement with every step), while going down from 1m directly to passthrough I need a minute to notice. It’s like being hyped by the enjoyment that the Mscaler gives and that keeps going for a while even when it is not even present anymore.

I find it fascinating that we hear things differently in general. Especially with headphones, there is so much controversy because it’s sometimes difficult to know what other people find enjoyable. I need to learn that. Also it’s not okay to listen to Aeon headphones, they are lacking dynamics🤣

May 26, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #41,485 of 42,765
Would the mojo pair well with the LCD X? Does anyone run these together?

I’ve had the LCD-X/Mojo combo for over 3 years now and it is a great combo that is revealing yet totally non fatiguing. That said, the Mojo is a bit laid back as are the LCD-X, so I can see some preferring either a more lively combo or EQ to add a bit of life to the upper mid/treble regions.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #41,486 of 42,765
Guys im going to leave this here. Thanks to everyone who offered to help and provided troubleshooting help.

I thought this issue may have come up before knowing a lot of people use the mojo with roon. And it is strange that it is only happening to me with both my windows laptop using roon via usb and with my linux based intel nuc via usb.

I am going to contact chord to see if they can assist.

Just an update incase this can help anyone else out in the future.

The issue of distortion happening to anything above 384kHz upsampling was an issue specific to my laptop which had some sort of performance throttling profile set as default.

I created a high performance profile for my laptop which has now resolved the issue.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #41,487 of 42,765
hi, i have a fiio lightning to micro usb cable, FIIO L19 cable, that used to work in the past with mojo on older iphones, now i have the iphone 12 pro max and that fiio cable is not working on iphone 12 pro max, or is there something i should do on my iphone

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #41,488 of 42,765

When I first got my Mscaler, I only had my mojo and hugo 2, when I hooked it up to my hugo 2, I fooled myself into believing that there was a huge change SQ wise. At first I thought it was just me, then I got caught up with blu 2 owners who were saying that the difference in SQ when using a blu 2 was massive, but to be honest, at that period in time, I thought that I had wasted £3500.

However. fast forward to my repaired TT2 which arrived 2 weeks ago and I couldnt be happier.

I tried optical out of the mscaler and into TT2. I played some tracks from 44.1 - 192khz, all optical and they sounded very good, a touch on the bright side at times for my liking but on the whole theSQ was very good.

However, when changing over from optical to dbnc and playing the same music…. It sounded magic, and compared to the mscalers optical output and in to TT2’s optical input, dbnc was the very clear winner.

Now I’m really glad that I bought an MScaler and TT2 instead of a Dave.

Anyone thinking about buying an mscaler or tt2, or both, I would now say go for it, as you will be in for a treat.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #41,489 of 42,765
hi, i have a fiio lightning to micro usb cable, FIIO L19 cable, that used to work in the past with mojo on older iphones, now i have the iphone 12 pro max and that fiio cable is not working on iphone 12 pro max, or is there something i should do on my iphone
The Fiio L19 was a great cable from a iPhone.
However Apple stopped it working some time ago with an update.
May I suggest the ddfihi lightning to usbc adapter along with the ddHifi usbc to micro cable.
This works perfectly.
You can also buy the usbc to usbc version of the cable when Chord updates the Mojo.

Jun 12, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #41,490 of 42,765
The Fiio L19 was a great cable from a iPhone.
However Apple stopped it working some time ago with an update.
May I suggest the ddfihi lightning to usbc adapter along with the ddHifi usbc to micro cable.
This works perfectly.
You can also buy the usbc to usbc version of the cable when Chord updates the Mojo.
is their a new mojo to be released soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back