Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #41,311 of 42,773
I could not find temperature ratings for this battery.
Cheaper batteries are rated for room temperature (20 degrees C) - BUT Mojo can get hot inside while charging, that is why CHORD have wisely chosen a high temperature battery.
Time will tell if the replacement lasts long enough.
Keep us informed.
Thanx

Mar 29, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #41,312 of 42,773
I had some time to listen to it tonight.

Does not look great. Loaded it to full and left it with the charger 3 hours after was fully charged, was fine. Heating no more than usual and at first glance no problem with the charging.

What is not OK is the battery life. I get 50mins blue light whereas Mojo new and with the original battery was around 1hour and 50 min to 2 hours. So this is half the battery life i have here with the new battery, even below that.

No drops in performance and in volume though. This is good. No disturbances and interferences as well.

So....i will try another day and see after how much times it goes to blinking red, but for now does not look good. Meybe after 5 hours will be in the red.

I advice whoever reads this and wants try this battery as is cheaper than most options you have, do it only if your original one is swollen.

PS: have not tried playing+charging.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #41,313 of 42,773
Well we have LiPo's and we have LiPo's!
you can get a cheapo battery for a laptop or a phone, that is advertised at 1000''s of mAh but lasts half as long as original battery, and the worst, it overhears and explodes!
there are even reject ones, sold as kosher by some people.
even on good ones, temperature is a big factor, the hotter the environment ( Edit: Above room temperature) the lower the performance , unless the batteries are rated as such.
Chord batteries are good! really good.
I believe they are rated as 65°C & 1650 mAh (genuinely !).
I believe are made by a US company, not Chinese knock offs.
I made a minor mod. on my Mojo ( see this ) to bring the internal (battery) temperature down a bit, mine is over one year old, I get 8:30 hours continuous on USB input. you get even more on coax.
That is some performance.

If you can get 5 hours, and it lasts a year or more, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #41,314 of 42,773
I had some time to listen to it tonight.

Does not look great. Loaded it to full and left it with the charger 3 hours after was fully charged, was fine. Heating no more than usual and at first glance no problem with the charging.

What is not OK is the battery life. I get 50mins blue light whereas Mojo new and with the original battery was around 1hour and 50 min to 2 hours. So this is half the battery life i have here with the new battery, even below that.

No drops in performance and in volume though. This is good. No disturbances and interferences as well.

So....i will try another day and see after how much times it goes to blinking red, but for now does not look good. Meybe after 5 hours will be in the red.

I advice whoever reads this and wants try this battery as is cheaper than most options you have, do it only if your original one is swollen.

PS: have not tried playing+charging.
This may be of interest to you (if you hadn’t already seen it):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-battery-replacement-solved.901130/

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #41,315 of 42,773
Good day everyone.

I tested most of the things and will post results. Could be -+5min here and there but other than that is what i get (not made up numbers).

Overall i do not recommend this battery.

Chord batteries are good! really good.
I don't doubt that, yes.

I made a minor mod. on my Mojo ( see this ) to bring the internal (battery) temperature down a bit, mine is over one year old, I get 8:30 hours continuous on USB input. you get even more on coax.
Thank you for your advice. Today i bough a double-sided thermal tape and will place it on where the original paste was, above the battery.

This may be of interest to you (if you hadn’t already seen it):
Thank you.

So, the results:

I get overall 5 hours and 7-8 min playtime, charges for 4 hours. Vs. 8 hours and 14-15 min and 5 hours and 45min charging for the original one when Mojo is new.

Mojo does not heat more than usual. I left it plugged in for some time after was charges, it is OK, stops charging when needs, does not overcharge it as far as i know (as Kentajalli said some weeks ago Mojo does not charge it to 100% to safe the battery life in general). I have not tried playing+charging, but i never tried this with the original battery as well, just never had a situation where needed to charge+listen. Wouldn't risk it with this battery where we don't know the temperature limit. Only listening or only charging is OK.

Mojo's performance is fine, i do not notice change in sound quality or in volume. I do not have IEMs to see how it is with that, have not noticed any interference or sound disturbance of any kind on my headphones.

The main reason why you would want to change the battery is to get good battery life 8+hours. You are not getting this here. Play time is 5 hours, charging is 4. If somebody decide try this battery however, i encourage making own conclusion of course if it is valuable option for you. I do not see it being good, but Mojo works with it if you need that.

These results are with USB input of Mojo used and volume level green colour marbles.

Battery level indicatorOriginal battery (working time in minutes)New battery (working time in minutes)
Blue11850
Green12250
Yellow20555
Red40110
Red blinking1050
Charging time to full345240

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #41,316 of 42,773
Thank you for your advice. Today i bough a double-sided thermal tape and will place it on where the original paste was, above the battery.

Battery level indicatorOriginal battery (working time in minutes)New battery (working time in minutes)
Blue11850
Green12250
Yellow20555
Red40110
Red blinking1050
Charging time to full345240
BAD IDEA!
Do not use thermal pads between the battery and the circuit board.
Those large chips heatup during use, the spongy black tape stuck on the battery by Chord, actually isolate the battery, not transfer the heat to it.
In my mod. I used the copper strip to transfer the heat AWAY from the battery.
The batteries give their best performance at room temperature (normally) - cold or hot batteries do not perform as well.

The chart above does not mean much.
Chord are aware of their battery's performance, so they have set those colour changes to correspond to that battery.
Take RED for example:
- on factory battery it means less than 1 hour to shut down.
- on your replacement battery it is not valid, as you evidently get 2:30 hours!
If you are getting 4 hours, and your battery lasts - you have been successful - be happy.
Mojo's battery issues (price availibility) is Mojo's main Acillies' Heel .
You have partly solved it, take pride.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #41,317 of 42,773
In my mod. I used the copper strip to transfer the heat AWAY from the battery.
Yes, i will look for a copper strip.

The chart above does not mean much.
Chord are aware of their battery's performance, so they have set those colour changes to correspond to that battery.
Take RED for example:
- on factory battery it means less than 1 hour to shut down.
- on your replacement battery it is not valid, as you evidently get 2:30 hours!
If you are getting 4 hours, and your battery lasts - you have been successful - be happy.
Mojo's battery issues (price availibility) is Mojo's main Acillies' Heel .
You have partly solved it, take pride.
True.

What i posted is for someone that finds this battery, sees its not very expensive and then order. To know what to expect. I am mister Watts fan and i do not think Mojo will be outdated soon, chances are more people will search for a Mojo and for a battery as well. Since, say if you find it used and try change the battery and order this battery above....you will have idea what is going to be seeing our comments here.

Indeed, i was expecting it to turn off at the 3-rd hour as i saw red indicator after only 2h and 30 min so to say, but it kept working long time (considering how fast it got to red). You will have better idea and view why so happends, it looks like it drops the voltage after charge fast, then kind of flattened when in the red. Only 50 min for blue and green, but double that for red.

If we had 2 such and stack them (you will know how to connect the two to work as one), they might fit inside but then will heat up a lot more while charging, yes ? For example.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #41,318 of 42,773
If we had 2 such and stack them (you will know how to connect the two to work as one), they might fit inside but then will heat up a lot more while charging, yes ? For example.
- I doubt you could fit two such batteries inside, there is hardly any room.
- No it would not heat up any more, Mojo has voltage and current limiting on its charger circuit. it should take longer to fully charge though , that is if you could fit them inside.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #41,319 of 42,773
- No it would not heat up any more, Mojo has voltage and current limiting on its charger circuit. it should take longer to fully charge though , that is if you could fit them inside.
Have to measure the size right, yes.

But theoretically, 2 of these are 40 euro we say with the delivery, your battery that you found was how much, for comparison.

Then the solder tools for the cables, if don't have one. Overall even stacking 2 does not seem to be good option. And one will get around the same playtime as the original battery.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #41,320 of 42,773
Have to measure the size right, yes.

But theoretically, 2 of these are 40 euro we say with the delivery, your battery that you found was how much, for comparison.

Then the solder tools for the cables, if don't have one. Overall even stacking 2 does not seem to be good option. And one will get around the same playtime as the original battery.
original battery, IF YOU COULD FIND ANY, is less than $50, at best , up to $100 or more.
Issue is not price really, it is availability .
When low in supply, prices go up as a result.

Mar 30, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #41,321 of 42,773
When low in supply, prices go up as a result.
Sure thing.

Meybe, but i will check and measure the size. And will make a photo with the results, i have a ruler, will use it and will be seen if there is place for another or not.
I still have 7h and 30min life with the original battery, so it is OK. I will switch back to it.
Though when it gets down to 6h30min meybe it is not bad idea to try stack 2 of these above. In my situation where i already have one. Still do not recommend it if someone reads this and thinking if to order one.

You are a person that understands how the cables from the two batteries need to be soldered to made them work as one, yes ? Could you help with instructions how to do this (providing i have the tools, soldering iron pliers, soldering substances and such) ? Not exactly now, after another 6 months or so. That is if two can fit inside at all, will check these days.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #41,322 of 42,773
Sure thing.

Meybe, but i will check and measure the size. And will make a photo with the results, i have a ruler, will use it and will be seen if there is place for another or not.
I still have 7h and 30min life with the original battery, so it is OK. I will switch back to it.
Though when it gets down to 6h30min meybe it is not bad idea to try stack 2 of these above. In my situation where i already have one. Still do not recommend it if someone reads this and thinking if to order one.

You are a person that understands how the cables from the two batteries need to be soldered to made them work as one, yes ? Could you help with instructions how to do this (providing i have the tools, soldering iron pliers, soldering substances and such) ? Not exactly now, after another 6 months or so. That is if two can fit inside at all, will check these days.
I suggest you don't do it.
Mojo is about $400. you can seriously damage it if things go wrong, all for what? a few dollars of battery?
not worth it.

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #41,323 of 42,773
Good day to everyone.

Last day i changed the battery of the Mojo i have, and wanted to post as might be helpful to someone who wants to change the battery as well.

I ordered this battery from Ali Express: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001594239756.html - it is around 20-25 euro with the delivery, depends on where you are meybe, but should not be more than that.

I do not take responsibility for if you brake your device or get some sort of unusual behavior once you change it. So, if you are not sure you can change the battery, then probably best do not try, or just order it and then give it someone to change it that you are sure can do it.

It has lower capacity than the original one, but whoever gets less than 7 or 6 hours battery life from Mojo might consider changing the battery.

I attach photos with both the original battery seen (whoever wants to try search for original one may see the part number and the specs then) and this one above from Ali Express. Can click on the image to zoom and see it better.

What you need to do is open the Mojo by unscrewing all the screws, pull out the old battery, and very important, be very careful pulling it out, you don't want to damage the port where the battery is plugged in or any other components. The battery will also be glued to the top, so you need to find something to put under it and carefully take it out (the blue thing i used is on the photo). When you get the old battery out, you need something to hold the new one in place, as the glue will be damaged once you remove the old battery. I used insulating tape to hold it in place, which is not the best the way to do it, use few drops glue if you have, i didn't have and this is why used the black tape (not sure how you say it exactly in english, but you can see what it is on the photos), isolierband :

Here i show you that is working:

I will check later how is the battery life compared with the original one when the Mojo is new and will post the results. Meybe somebody will be interested in this, as is cheaper overall than searching for original battery.
And like said above, be careful how you use the Mojo after, don't leave it working without you being around, and don't leave it charging while you are away as well. I do not know if this battery has overtemperature or overvoltage protection, so keep in mind. It says it has, but... Don't leave the Mojo working with it while you are away. If you use it as desktop DAC as well. Use it with you being around. At least this is my advice.
I was just thinking, you don't really need the protection board.
Mojo already has one built in.
I reckon, the protection board would interfere, try removing it, and measure charge and discharge times again.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #41,324 of 42,773
I was just thinking, you don't really need the protection board.
Mojo already has one built in.
I reckon, the protection board would interfere, try removing it, and measure charge and discharge times again.
Thank you for your advice on everything.

For someone that reads this and wonder if two such batteries will fit inside Mojo, no. The battery is 4.1cm and the space left is 3.7cm, i pushed it as far as possible to one of the sides, 3.7cm is what is left, another one will not fit inside.

PS: there is a capacitor on one of the sides, you can't close the Mojo if a battery is standing above it, on this spot where the capacitor is you need leave free space. So even less space you have actually.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #41,325 of 42,773
.... wonder if two such batteries will fit inside Mojo, no. The battery is 4.1cm and the space left is 3.7cm, i pushed it as far as possible to one of the sides, 3.7cm is what is left, another one will not fit inside.
Actually you got less than 30mm!
The usb ports and the capacitor next to them, will not allow you to use the full length.

If only those beloved marbles (:rage:) were smaller, and the CHORD logo was not slanted, Mojo could have fit a much larger battery, or would have been thinner using the current battery.
Chord chose questionable styling over substance - SHAME!
Lucky it functions & sounds good.
OK not lucky, Rob Watts designed the circuit well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back