Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #41,326 of 42,765
Yes, you are right, the capacitor standing on the side is more in height compared to the other components, you can't close Mojo if there is battery above it.

I don't know what to say about the marbles. It does give Chord gear unique look. I think it is OK to have them.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #41,327 of 42,765
I don't know what to say about the marbles. It does give Chord gear unique look. I think it is OK.
could have been smaller, just take a look at Hugo2 - those marbles are not as big, compared to the rest of case, are they?
Where else do you see a slanted chord logo?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #41,328 of 42,765
For desktop use i simply removed the internal battery and leave it plugged into the 5V USB from my iMac. I cannot tell any difference in SQ with or without the battery.
Isn't that a bad idea given that the battery serves as a power purifier for the mojo?

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #41,329 of 42,765
Since this battery conversation has become a trend lately, I have an update since my last "mod" (mod here). Things have been running super smoothly. and I do recommend it for those struggling with batteries (at your own risk once again), I just traveled with my mojo looking like this with my phone attached on top of it:

IMG_9310.jpg

(I did saw some worrisome faces on the plane haha)

Battery life is great like that (around 20 hours give or take) and once I arrived at the hotel all I had to do to not worry about battery life was simply replace the battery with a 5v charger and we are good to go.

Out of curiosity; why do you have to leave the Mojo plugged in? I was under the impression that supercapacitors charge in just a few seconds and the charge lasts a very long time. Do i have this wrong?
@vlach sorry for the late response, the short answer is yes, given that the capacitor charge lasts around 5 seconds but with the implementation above you "regain" portability, and quite more battery life at the expense of being more chunky!

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #41,330 of 42,765
Since this battery conversation has become a trend lately, I have an update since my last "mod" (mod here). Things have been running super smoothly. and I do recommend it for those struggling with batteries (at your own risk once again), I just traveled with my mojo looking like this with my phone attached on top of it:

Battery life is great like that (around 20 hours give or take) and once I arrived at the hotel all I had to do to not worry about battery life was simply replace the battery with a 5v charger and we are good to go.

@vlach sorry for the late response, the short answer is yes, given that the capacitor charge lasts around 5 seconds but with the implementation above you "regain" portability, and quite more battery life at the expense of being more chunky!
Interesting.
However, I am puzzled!
If you are to carry two boxes all the time, what is to stop you from wiring a heafty (4000mAh or so) Lipo battery pack wired directly to the Mojo?
I suppose you could run the cables through one of the unused input ports.
Such a battery could have fast charging, would last 20Hours or so (even longer).
There are cheap flat batteries made for mobile phones that would fit the bill.
By not using Mojo's own charger circuit, you completely eliminate any electrical noise.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #41,331 of 42,765
Interesting.
However, I am puzzled!
If you are to carry two boxes all the time, what is to stop you from wiring a heafty (4000mAh or so) Lipo battery pack wired directly to the Mojo?
Such a battery could have fast charging, would last 20Hours or so (even longer).
By not using Mojo's own charger circuit, you completely eliminate any electrical noise.
You have to make it all work with Poly, too! :beerchug:

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #41,332 of 42,765
Interesting.
However, I am puzzled!
I would say... Ease of use, being able to simply plug and play with either a wall adapter or a battery bank it's super convenient rather than drilling and making attachments to the mojo, honestly, I've been more attracted towards always using the battery pack because of power purity (it even improves the performance a bit) and it protects the mojo from possible surges

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #41,333 of 42,765
You have to make it all work with Poly, too! :beerchug:
Thoughts on it? I've been super interested in it but I'm not sure about the investment... I've heard some comments that because you can load the music into the mojo the sound quality improves.

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #41,334 of 42,765
Thoughts on it? I've been super interested in it but I'm not sure about the investment... I've heard some comments that because you can load the music into the mojo the sound quality improves.
I think Poly has a pretty sophisticated circuit, because that is how it is powered in and off via Mojo’s state. It would take some experimenting with. But I have been extremely pleased with Poly’s sound quality and added flexibility.

Apr 1, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #41,335 of 42,765

But alone for itself, the gain in sound quality of the Chord Mojo (at least in my opinion) would never be worth the additional cost of the Chord Poly.

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #41,336 of 42,765
Bit of a random thought but would it be possible to 3D print a 'spacer' the same shape as the mojo that you could sandwich between the top and bottom sections of the mojo to give it more internal capacity for a larger battery?

Or would there then be an issue with loose marbles?

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #41,337 of 42,765
Deleted

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #41,338 of 42,765
Isn't that a bad idea given that the battery serves as a power purifier for the mojo?
I wasn't aware the battery acts as a power purifier. Now I'm curious to know how the battery accomplishes this.
Anyway, as i already stated there is no audible difference with or without the battery.

Apr 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #41,339 of 42,765

I guess i don't quite understand the super capacitor mod. I thought it replaces the battery, but then you mention you get 20hr of battery life and replace it with a 5V charger.
I thought the battery was out of the equation? I'm totally confused.

Edit: Wait, is the thing strapped to your Mojo an external battery charging the super cap? I read you strapped your iPhone, hence the confusion.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #41,340 of 42,765

That's exactly what i do when using the Mojo on the go (since removing the internal battery); i connect a portable battery bank which powers the device, therefore I'm not sure what the benefit of the super cap is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back