Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #40,696 of 42,765
It must be depending on your source. I use the HiBy R3 as Transport and the USB cable always transfers the bit perfect signal (100% volume) to Mojo, but if I use the 3,5mm coax out of the R3, the R3’s volume control changes the digital out signal.
Make sure your source is at 100% volume, then USB and Coax should be the same volume

It is! actually what I usually do is just use the "force max volume" option on tidal so I can't change it even by accident but it is a good point...

Nov 21, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #40,697 of 42,765
Is it just me or is this thing a giant killer?

I have a daccord and corda classic desktop setup....well over $2000 au.

With my Sundaras and swan speaker setup the sound coming out of this mojo is superior to my ears (granted im in mid-fi territory).....its warmer, more natural and just very enjoyable to listen to.....I'm very interested in seeing how other chord stuff performs....like the qutest....I mean how much better can it get?

I mean this thing is about 10x smaller than what im using at my desk too...im gobsmacked to be honest.......its just that warmer sound that keeps all the detail has me hooked.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #40,698 of 42,765
I've been using my Chord Mojo happily for a few years now, but in the last couple of months I've come across a really perplexing problem: shorting of the input due to static.

A little background... I live in Connecticut which is very dry in the winter, and work at UConn, in a lab where our HVAC system is always running in order to maintain a +/-1 C temperature variation, resulting in relative humidity usually less than 20%. The issue occurs outside, not just in our lab. I am using an xDuoo X10T II as a source for Mojo. I also have a case for both units to avoid them scratching each other up.

Within the last couple of months, I've experienced a weird problem where having the xDuoo/Mojo combo in my pocket, pants or shirt, will sometimes cause Mojo to short out. Music drops out and I can hear pops and clicks through my headphones, or just silence, and the input indicator LED turns off. Usually, moving my arms or hands around can either alleviate or worsen the issue. If I take the Mojo out of my pocket and hold it in my hands, away from my body, the music comes back.... on the other hand, the act of touching the connector of the cable or touching Mojo itself, will cause the input to short... I mean touching it with my hands, or in certain cases, my clothes.

This happens with coaxial and optical, but not USB. Yes, I mean that I can touch the optical cable itself, and the input will short out. The fact that an optical cable doesn't solve this, but rather can somehow still cause Mojo to drop out, is absolutely perplexing to me. You might be thinking, "Ok, so why not just use USB?", the answer is that the USB port on the xDuoo is unreliable and will sometimes disconnect and switch back to SPDIF mode because the USB connector was jostled slightly (it only seems to happen with some USB C connectors, though... ??). Either way, the music will randomly drop out and it's extremely frustrating, ruining the listening experience.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so, what was the solution? I have been considering just carrying some dryer sheets with me and slipping one into the Mojo's case to see if that helps, but I'm out at home.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #40,699 of 42,765
I've been using my Chord Mojo happily for a few years now, but in the last couple of months I've come across a really perplexing problem: shorting of the input due to static.

A little background... I live in Connecticut which is very dry in the winter, and work at UConn, in a lab where our HVAC system is always running in order to maintain a +/-1 C temperature variation, resulting in relative humidity usually less than 20%. The issue occurs outside, not just in our lab. I am using an xDuoo X10T II as a source for Mojo. I also have a case for both units to avoid them scratching each other up.

Within the last couple of months, I've experienced a weird problem where having the xDuoo/Mojo combo in my pocket, pants or shirt, will sometimes cause Mojo to short out. Music drops out and I can hear pops and clicks through my headphones, or just silence, and the input indicator LED turns off. Usually, moving my arms or hands around can either alleviate or worsen the issue. If I take the Mojo out of my pocket and hold it in my hands, away from my body, the music comes back.... on the other hand, the act of touching the connector of the cable or touching Mojo itself, will cause the input to short... I mean touching it with my hands, or in certain cases, my clothes.

This happens with coaxial and optical, but not USB. Yes, I mean that I can touch the optical cable itself, and the input will short out. The fact that an optical cable doesn't solve this, but rather can somehow still cause Mojo to drop out, is absolutely perplexing to me. You might be thinking, "Ok, so why not just use USB?", the answer is that the USB port on the xDuoo is unreliable and will sometimes disconnect and switch back to SPDIF mode because the USB connector was jostled slightly (it only seems to happen with some USB C connectors, though... ??). Either way, the music will randomly drop out and it's extremely frustrating, ruining the listening experience.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so, what was the solution? I have been considering just carrying some dryer sheets with me and slipping one into the Mojo's case to see if that helps, but I'm out at home.
Don't remember reading any similar cases.
Email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and see what they advise.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #40,701 of 42,765
Would you guys still recommend this in 2020? I see a listing for a used chord mojo at approx 300usd. Bought in 2017 and has 5-6 hours battery life according to the seller. Is this a good deal?
Yes mojo is still very good dac/amp even in 2020.
As for your deal, 300usd for a 3 year old unit... for me it's not a good deal. Like month ago I sold mine for ~230euro and it was 1 year old.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #40,703 of 42,765
Thanks for the quick reply! What would you say is a good price for a 3 year old unit? I'm new to buying used stuff...
Hard to say, it's always personal choice.
Personally I wouldn't give more than lets say 200-230usd. Battery would be dead in about year or two. New battery for mojo is a cost about ~70usd (? - I'm not sure)

So let's say you buy mojo for 220usd + 70usd for new battery and you end up with pretty much fresh unit for under 300usd.
If you bought mojo for 300usd + 70usd for battery you end up with almost 400 usd for used unit - when you can buy a new one for probably 500usd... so for me 300usd for 3 year old mojo is just to much.

As I said I would be aiming for about 200usd for this particular unit.

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #40,704 of 42,765
On a different note, I have a suggestion for CHORD:
- Make a Mojo lite
- one output socket only
- Only USB input
- Use a flat Li-ion polymer battery, like the ones on mobile phones
- reduce the over all size, thickness and weight.
- Make room for a BT (LDAC capable) module inside, sell the module as an upgrade!
Sell it for almost same price, I am sure it would sell better.

I mean, I do know there are people who use Mojo as a desktop device, but frankly, a battery operated device should be a Mobile device.
As Mojo is at the moment , it is sort of half way between mobile and desktop, neither this nor that, let's make up our mind.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #40,705 of 42,765
- Make a Mojo lite
- one output socket only
- Only USB input
- Make room for a BT (LDAC capable) module inside, sell the module as an upgrade!

I mean, I do know there are people who use Mojo as a desktop device, but frankly, a battery operated device should be a Mobile device.
As Mojo is at the moment , it is sort of half way between mobile and desktop, neither this nor that, let's make up our mind.
What do you think?
As always in this type of situations everyone has its opinion.
I would like to see Mojo TT.
- without battery
- powered similiar to qutest (via 5v micro usb)
- maybe with supercaps instead of battery - when current swing is needed
- with remote - to act as a preamp
- with proper RCA outputs
- with proper inpout selection via remote
- with 6,3mm out

But as I said it's only my personal wish :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #40,706 of 42,765
- Make a Mojo lite
- one output socket only
- Only USB input

What do you think?

I don’t know how expensive the 2 SPIDF inputs are, but unless you intend Mojo light not to be compatible with Poly, you would need the blanks there for the attachment. I would think at least optical in addition to USB would be required for flexibility (and best sound, IMO).

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #40,707 of 42,765
Would you guys still recommend this in 2020? I see a listing for a used chord mojo at approx 300usd. Bought in 2017 and has 5-6 hours battery life according to the seller. Is this a good deal?

I agree, Mojo is still very good, even today. For a 2017 unit 300 sounds a little high, but if it is in very good to excellent condition you could get a new battery, install it (easy) and you’d basically have a new unit. So 300 should be ok, and finding a good one for less might be difficult.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #40,708 of 42,765
As always in this type of situations everyone has its opinion.
I would like to see Mojo TT.
- without battery
- powered similiar to qutest (via 5v micro usb)
- maybe with supercaps instead of battery - when current swing is needed
- with remote - to act as a preamp
- with proper RCA outputs
- with proper inpout selection via remote
- with 6,3mm out

But as I said it's only my personal wish :)
Absolutely!
lets have a mobile (Lite) version and a TT version.
My point exactly.
one way or (and) the other.

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #40,709 of 42,765
I don’t know how expensive the 2 SPIDF inputs are, but unless you intend Mojo light not to be compatible with Poly, you would need the blanks there for the attachment. I would think at least optical in addition to USB would be required for flexibility (and best sound, IMO).
Well Lite means that!
No poly, no extra not-needed (for mobile use) bits, that take room, battery and circuit.
different outer case, and thinner flat battery, to make the whole thing smaller and lighter.
I thought the BT module, gave the game away on POLY!

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #40,710 of 42,765
Those who have seen the inside of a Mojo, can confirm that the battery, together with the optical socket , account for the bulk of the thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back