Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #39,616 of 42,765
I can't explain the reviews, but i agree with you that 'newbies” should get any useful information before making a purchase'.
I have been posting on this thread for nearly four years, and know the great effort that @Mython put in to create the FAQ in post #3. It contains so much distilled knowledge and best practice recorded by the early Mojo owners, that it would be a good read for newbies or prospective owners, but sadly most of them are unaware of its existence.
I too liked using Mojo as a desktop dac, thankfully without leaving it on charge 24/7.
Sadly when I tried using Mojo as an input source to amplifiers, it was clear that the amplifier removed so much of the transparency, that i was disappointed.
Then I got the Hugo 2, and found that for a while the Mojo sounded 'congested' as a desktop dac, but then a few months later when I tried using the Mojo again, I enjoyed its musicality again.
Currently the Hugo 2 is my principal desktop dac (with mojo as backup), but the mojo is first choice for mobile scenarios (this includes walks, use at work, use with poly, use with dap, etc), but nowadays I never use it with a phone.
Cool and thanks for the info regarding the Hugo 2. I am currently looking for a desktop DAC and I want to try and hear the difference between the Hugo 2 and qutest. I’ve heard the qutest which I like a lot but I don’t know who it compares with the Hugo 2 sonically. I don’t really care about the headphone amp.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #39,617 of 42,765
It would be interesting to know, what Is the difference between the dragonfly and mojo that explains why one is more sensitive then the other.
The mojo is a far more superior DAC/amp. There is no comparison sonically. The mojo is another, higher league in terms of transparency, punch, soundstage etc. I truly wish mojo didn’t have the rf issues. The dragonfly is a good improvement from standard jack. The only problem I’ve faced is that at high volumes and with low impedance iem or headphones there is distortion. It’s at very high volumes so I can live with it.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #39,618 of 42,765
Cool and thanks for the info regarding the Hugo 2. I am currently looking for a desktop DAC and I want to try and hear the difference between the Hugo 2 and qutest. I’ve heard the qutest which I like a lot but I don’t know who it compares with the Hugo 2 sonically. I don’t really care about the headphone amp.
The Hugo 2 and Qutest share a lot of the same dac code.
The Qutest however does feature galvanic protection, so will perform better than Hugo 2 for some input sources.
I can only speak about my own experience with Hugo 2 direct driving speakers. I DIYed cables to allow me to use the hugo 2 to direct drive Focal Aria 936 floorstanders, and it was the best that I have ever heard my speakers perform (for jazz music), and I fear that adding an amplifier will remove so much of the transparency/magic.
I will probably try the TT2, just to provide the extra power, but otherwise I am thinking that the only other short term amplifier options are TToby or Etuder.

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #39,622 of 42,765
Just a question for those commenting recently about Mojo RFI issues, with their phone. I'll tag some of the recent posters that I could see @CortoLmaltese @CaptainFantastic @ubs28 @Sound Eq @Dana Reed

Rob recently confirmed it is not an RF issue. See below for the quote from Rob, explaining it is a 2G related issue.

I just wanted to ask these people (and any others hearing buzzing with Mojo) if you still have 2G mobile/cell coverage in your countries?

Just to see if it aligns with what Rob says.

My old iPhone SE sits on top of my Mojo regularly and I don't hear a single buzz - but 2G coverage has officially shutdown (retired / switched off) in my country, since 2016.

upload_2019-12-24_10-25-52.png

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #39,627 of 42,765
I sometimes see “E” in the display when I’m in the UK...

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #39,629 of 42,765
Chord Tweet today

“Thank you for joining us in counting down to Christmas Eve with Hugo 2, we hope the journey has been insightful.

We have an exciting year ahead of us, with a big announcement to come very early on... Stay tuned.”

Might just be about the 2Go, but might also be about a Mojo 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back