Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #39,631 of 42,765
For those wo ask it is possible to have mojo 2.. the answer is not.

They didnt even have plan to launch new mojo. only some improvement on hugo 2.

That what dealer from my place told us when they come back from meeting with Mr. Rob Watts.

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #39,633 of 42,765
Do you mean that according to your dealer, there is a plan for a Hugo3 but not a plan for a Mojo2?
Not hugo 3.. but they have some plan involving hugo 2..i dont know what it is

what i can confirm is no mojo 2 anywhere soon .. no plan .. wonder how long will it take to research and manufact LOL

Dec 27, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #39,634 of 42,765
Not hugo 3.. but they have some plan involving hugo 2..i dont know what it is

what i can confirm is no mojo 2 anywhere soon .. no plan .. wonder how long will it take to research and manufact LOL
Rob has occasionally posted that the Mojo is as perfect as he could get in that small mobile case size.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2367#post-14076353
Thermal issues were a big constraint - if you want more processing/taps, then the case/battery size needs to increase, unless the next generation of chips becomes available at an economic price of Rob/Chord.
It is true that posters do suggest other improvements such as screen, incorporate streamer functionality, updated battery charging, improved signalling to Poly about battery status, different usb/headphone sockets, but many of those would require an increase to case size.
It is not surprising that there are no hints from Rob about a Mojo2 being under development.

In contrast, there are often posts asking for a desktop version of the Mojo - so removed from the constraints of mobile use (eg case size, need for battery).
Then you are starting with a half blank sheet of paper:
  • retain everything good from the Mojo
  • incorporate improvements relating to streaming, sockets etc (maybe the case would need to be slightly increased in size)
  • replace battery by supercapacitors (so can be left connected to power 24/7 permanently)
To me, such a design is more interesting than mere tweaks to Mojo1, and I think would find many buyers. I suspect that marketing would respond, that the device was no longer mobile, so could not be called Mojo2, but maybe babyTT or something similar. :slight_smile:

Again there have been no hints about such a babyTT, so the above are just christmas musings.

I think there is a post somewhere, that the Mojo took one year for research>design>testing>production, so that is probably a good baseline for many of the new products. A simple tweak like just change a usb socket, would be much quicker.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #39,635 of 42,765
Rob has occasionally posted that the Mojo is as perfect as he could get in that small mobile case size.

I mean, the designer knows best. However I will point out that one doesn't necessarily need an entirely new product. RME just updated their ADI-2 DAC by changing the chip from 4490 to 4493 and making the remote better. So it's like a 2019, fresh version taking advantage of new technology and lessons learnt. I am sure a MoJo 2019 could cure the RFI issues and make a few other improvements.

Dec 27, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #39,637 of 42,765
Yes, i too work in an environment of annual continuous improvement cycles.
Rob has constraints in the physical space available, plus the thermal heat transfer from the core chips.
We would all be delighted to see a Mojo update, but I remain sceptical if major changes can be achieved until the next generation of chips becomes available.
:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #39,639 of 42,765
Mojo doesn't have a remote, so puzzled what improvement you want in that respect.

The remote was the RME ADI-2 example, I thought that was clear. Are we saying aside from the chip the MoJo is still perfect after a number of years that nothing else can be refreshed for 2019? I'll give you one example... USB C instead of Micro USB. I am just saying... there are refreshers to be made should Chord wish to. Of course they know what is best for the business and where it makes sense to allocate resources.

Dec 27, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #39,640 of 42,765
The remote was the RME ADI-2 example, I thought that was clear. Are we saying aside from the chip the MoJo is still perfect after a number of years that nothing else can be refreshed for 2019? I'll give you one example... USB C instead of Micro USB. I am just saying... there are refreshers to be made should Chord wish to. Of course they know what is best for the business and where it makes sense to allocate resources.
Yes changes to USB C are tweaks that require the smallest amount of redesign.
They would presumably require the least allocation of resources, so could be possible (just a slight redesign of circuit board, plus a change of BOM), but major changes to the FPGA pose more difficult challenges.

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #39,641 of 42,765
but major changes to the FPGA pose more difficult challenges.

I don't see too many people here asking for FPGA changes...

More common 'issues' and requests that I see:

1. The 2G interference that Hugo2 doesn't suffer from

2. Better battery management - i.e. a desktop mode like Hugo2

3. Ferrite bead on USB data input ground (like Hugo2)

4. This measurable microphony (noise floor modulation by vibrations?):

Chord Mojo microphony 2

versus

March Audio DAC1 Microphony

Fix these things and keep the FPGA and number of taps the same... if people want more taps and better performance they can get Hugo2 but these fixes would make a Mojo2 even better than it already is...
@Rob Watts

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #39,645 of 42,765
This is your own definition, not Chord's....

Something tells me a lot of people would be very happy if the above issues I listed were fixed and still given the name Mojo 2...

I hardly see any requests for a new FPGA in Mojo...

I would pay for better sound quality in a Mojo2, whether derived from a more powerful FPGA with more taps, or better filtering or analog output power, but I would not be interested in a new cable connection option or even improved battery life, SQ being equal. It seems a waste of both Chord’s resources and mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back