Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #3,796 of 42,765
2 questions guys:

- When my macbook pro (Yosemite) is connected to the mojo via USB, the sampling rate color is always768 Khz (which corresponds to the sampling rate fixed in the OS X audio/midi setup utility), whatever track is playing. Is there a way to get the color corresponding to the sampling rate of the track actually played?

- Using the same config I can hear clicking noises or small drops which happen typically when I'm using the computer and listening movies or tracks at the same time (e.g. when I switch a youtube video from windowed mode to fullscreen in safari). Have you the same problem? Any way to get rid of it?

Thanks for your help!

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #3,797 of 42,765
Ive seen successive designs for the hand held mobile market becoming sharper and more angular and obviously less comfortable in the hand or pocket. When I was thinking about the design I'd gone to Brighton with my family. my daughter was collecting hard Flint coloured pebbles that had been wave washed for centuries it struck me that something very hard like flint stone can feel soft and pleasant in the hand when given the right curving profiles and surface finish. Having decided that, it was a simple step to add some more comfortable rounded switches that could double as coloured light information indicators. Feeling and looking like a few of the small pretty pebbles like my daughter likes to collect. I could of course made the balls much smaller but then with your finger on top of a small button, you couldn't see what colour it was. I know that sometimes I takes a little time and use for people to apreciate some of my design approaches sometimes ... But much good non conformist design is like that! I hope mogo will long out last the more ordinary and mundane designs I've certainly made it tough enough to last for years. John F.

Have you considered how this design would impact color blind people which is quite common as opposed to numbered and/or tactile (slot based) dials/display?

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #3,798 of 42,765
  2 questions guys:

- When my macbook pro (Yosemite) is connected to the mojo via USB, the sampling rate color is always768 Khz (which corresponds to the sampling rate fixed in the OS X audio/midi setup utility), whatever track is playing. Is there a way to get the color corresponding to the sampling rate of the track actually played?

- Using the same config I can hear clicking noises or small drops which happen typically when I'm using the computer and listening movies or tracks at the same time (e.g. when I switch a youtube video from windowed mode to fullscreen in safari). Have you the same problem? Any way to get rid of it?

Thanks for your help!

I had those annoying clicks and pops, the solution was to change max rate to 192 in midi setup

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,799 of 42,765

Hello Arnolfibus

re 1: The problem you are referring two has to do that most music players (in OS X and Linux) channel the sound throug a generic OS software, which ultimately up samples the music. In Linux I had to remove the corresponding OS subsystem such that I could actually benefit form the sophisticated Hugo/Mojo algorithms. For OS X the situation is easier to rectify. Just buy a player such as audirvana in order to get the original digital stream within your music.

re 2: using audirvana, which safeguards exclusive access to Hugo/Mojo I do not have this issue. 

Hope this helps

komi64

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #3,800 of 42,765
Yes it does a lot!

Thank you both!
normal_smile .gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #3,801 of 42,765
  2 questions guys:

Thanks for your help!

You need a music player app that supports bit-perfect playback that sets the OSX sampling rate to the actual sampling rate of the file being played. I use Vox it's free.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #3,802 of 42,765
Wish there was a way to lock the buttons on the Mojo. If there's anything else in your pocket it risks changing the volume or turning it off if the balls get bumped. Maybe a "press and hold" type of thing could be done?

JF - Any chance that could be done on a firmware update?

Cheers

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #3,803 of 42,765
Yes, but to get to exactly 3V line level again you need to power cycle the unit and press both buttons again within two seconds. On the other hand if 3V is too much for your amp then you can lower the volume for less output. Typically 2V line out is the CD standard but I haven't measured the Mojo's output on any other volume settings so I don't know what colour 2V would represent. The headphone out is basically the analogue stage of the DAC and it's very clean so no worries about double amping. :wink:
why is it 3v when most amps are expecting 2v, surely there will be overload issues? I'll find out later

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,804 of 42,765
Wish there was a way to lock the buttons on the Mojo. If there's anything else in your pocket it risks changing the volume or turning it off if the balls get bumped. Maybe a "press and hold" type of thing could be done?

JF - Any chance that could be done on a firmware update?

Cheers

Same here. Because of this I'm going to change how I stack Mojo with AK100. AK100's backside facing the Mojo's top side to cover the buttons partially and prevent activating the buttons unintentionally.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,805 of 42,765
I have the E17 but not the E09k (so can't comment on amping with it). The sound signatures between the E17 and Mojo are vastly different. First thing I noticed is that the E17 has more bass slam and body compared to the Mojo. You might feel that the Mojo is 'bass light' coming from the E17, but give it time and you'll notice that bass on the Mojo has more texture, faster and sounds less muddy. Amping the Mojo may help add more bass quantity if you're after that (I pair mine with the Tralucent T1 amp). 

IMO, the mids and treble on the Mojo are leagues above what the E17 is capable of. The Mojo has more transparency and air, every sound entity is distinctly fleshed out but the track is never muddied. Vocals sound gloriously realistic on the Mojo whereas on the E17 they are more distant and somewhat less engaging. Treble extension also feels 'capped' on the E17 in comparison to the Mojo. 

Bass quantity aside, i'd highly recommend the Mojo. The E17 is a great little DAC (my first dedicated DAC in fact), but the Mojo just exceeds it in every department. I did most of my comparisons with the Etymotic ER4S as they are a fairly neutral sounding IEM. 

Hope this helps! :) 

Thanks so much, that sounds very promising to me. I'm a composer and listen mostly to modern instrumental music, world music / soundtrack etc, so having those improvements in the mid-high frequency ranges will be a better match for me than the E17's more/fuller bass. Great to hear the comparisons - I think you've just sold me on the Mojo! :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3,806 of 42,765

You need a music player app that supports bit-perfect playback that sets the OSX sampling rate to the actual sampling rate of the file being played. I use Vox it's free.

Can Jriver media center do this? I thought MacbookPro's were only capable of outputting 24-bit 96khz audio, how are you guys hooking up the mojo to your MacBook Pro's?

I have DSD files that I currently cannot play on my Macbookpro because it simply isn't capable of doing it, but I should be able to get the silver light on the mojo and have them playing through it when the mojo is connected to the Macbookpro right?

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #3,808 of 42,765
  I also use Vox but it didn't show the correct sampling rate on the mojo. Reading your message, I assume there is an option in the preference to bypass core audio. I will check tonight. Thanks!

I'm just guessing here but I would assume it's the same as a phone, if you use USB you by-pass the MAC's onboard DAC.

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #3,809 of 42,765

Can Jriver media center do this? I thought MacbookPro's were only capable of outputting 24-bit 96khz audio, how are you guys hooking up the mojo to your MacBook Pro's?

I have not used Jriver so I don't know. The is an add on app for iTunes call Bit-Perfect which forces bit perfect playback from iTunes.

I use USB to hook up Mojo with my Macbook. I have the 15-inch Retina 2012 so it can only output 24/96 via optical output. But, USB can go all the way up to 24/192.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back