Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 13, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #36,466 of 42,765
Hi,

I'm reading Head-fi since quite a lot of years now and I finally write my first message. I've learned a lot from all of you and I thank you a lot (sorry for my English...). I find The Audiophile community in general very friendly and courteous, no troll or agressive people compared to another domain.

I bought a Mojo + Poly recently and the devices are faulty so I have to send them back, I had the time to listen to it and I found that the sound from the SD card was my favorite one using my smartphone as a source (Airplay had background noise which was noticeable on louder volume) but to be honest I find the sound straight from my 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar more large and luminous, I find the Mojo one slightly more dynamic and a bit darker, some sounds doesn't extend very welll compared to my macbook too. I'm clearly disappointed about his performance, I was maybe waiting too much about it (due to the crazy amount of positive feedback and pro reviews). I'm not sure if I will ask a replacement and will probably get refund instead.

My question is: do you think I can have a better sounding with a DAP? With balanced outputs? I saw the upcoming Astell & Kern ones (A&Futura SE100) that might be interesting. I've also heard than the Kann model from the same brand sounded very good. I was also interested into Sony, Pioneer or Onkyo, Hifiman too (or any another brand). Which one do you think are powerful enough to drive some slightly hungry headphones? I'd like something that have the dynamic and good timing as the Mojo but with a larger soundstage, very rich in details details but still musical. Something that sound noticeably better than my MacBook, otherwise I better have to listen from it. I'm maybe asking too much... I have also to precise that streaming is a plus and I can go without it, the sound is clearly my priority. My budget is until 1600 / 1700€ (cheaper the better of course).

Thank you in advance for your help

Nicolas

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #36,467 of 42,765
My budget is until 1600 / 1700€ (cheaper the better of course).

Nicolas
You don't need to spend that much. The FiiO Q5 has 2.5 balanced output as well as non balanced 3.5, solid DAC and Bluetooth built in. For just a DAC the iFi iOne is fantastic and for well less than the price range you are discussing there are many amps that could be added. Those are just two Bluetooth enabled options (not having Bluetooth is just nuts if you ask me) there are likely others. I think the Q5 is compelling and I will have some first hand experience as I'm on the FiiO tour and may very well purchase the Q5 if the audition goes well, but based on the many impressions I have read, the Q5 is quite a solid option. I owned and loved the Mojo by the way.

May 14, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #36,468 of 42,765
Did you adjust it after setting it to line level mode prior to turning it off?
I turn it to line level (pressed the two volume buttons while turning it on) and listen to some music on my stereo.
I turn the mojo off (pressed the power button for two seconds).
Then after a while, I turned it on pressing the power button for two seconds. I noticed that the volume buttons where still purple/blue indicating that it was still on line level mode.
What am I doing wrong?

May 14, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #36,469 of 42,765
You don't need to spend that much. The FiiO Q5 has 2.5 balanced output as well as non balanced 3.5, solid DAC and Bluetooth built in. For just a DAC the iFi iOne is fantastic and for well less than the price range you are discussing there are many amps that could be added. Those are just two Bluetooth enabled options (not having Bluetooth is just nuts if you ask me) there are likely others. I think the Q5 is compelling and I will have some first hand experience as I'm on the FiiO tour and may very well purchase the Q5 if the audition goes well, but based on the many impressions I have read, the Q5 is quite a solid option. I owned and loved the Mojo by the way.

Thank you for your reply, I'm not interested into a DAC alone, I'd like something more convenient, that's why I bought Mojo + Poly. I'm more interested into buying a DAP now because of the slightly disappointing Mojo + Poly sound (for me). I'm ready to pay more to have something that go more far (crisp and detailed sound, large soundstage, good 3D...) I don't want to upgrade every 6 months like many apparently do (cost a lot more that 1500€ at the end...). I'm looking for something that will sound noticeably better than my headphone linked to my MacBook Pro (which sound very good in fact, it seems that Apple upgraded their stuff recently, even my new iPhone X sounds better than my last iPhone 6). After, I'm still open if a separate DAC offer all of what I'm looking for and is easy to hold with my iPhone together. Thanks

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #36,470 of 42,765
Hi,

I'm reading Head-fi since quite a lot of years now and I finally write my first message. I've learned a lot from all of you and I thank you a lot (sorry for my English...). I find The Audiophile community in general very friendly and courteous, no troll or agressive people compared to another domain.

I bought a Mojo + Poly recently and the devices are faulty so I have to send them back, I had the time to listen to it and I found that the sound from the SD card was my favorite one using my smartphone as a source (Airplay had background noise which was noticeable on louder volume) but to be honest I find the sound straight from my 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar more large and luminous, I find the Mojo one slightly more dynamic and a bit darker, some sounds doesn't extend very welll compared to my macbook too. I'm clearly disappointed about his performance, I was maybe waiting too much about it (due to the crazy amount of positive feedback and pro reviews). I'm not sure I will ask a replacement and will probably get refund instead.

My question is: do you think I can have a better sounding with a DAP? With balanced outputs? I saw the upcoming Astell & Kern ones (A&Futura SE100) that might be interesting. I've also heard than the Kann model from the same brand sounded very good. I was also interested into Sony, Pioneer or Onkyo, Hifiman too (or any another brand). Which one do you think are powerful enough to drive some slightly hungry headphones? I'd like something that have the dynamic and good timing as the Mojo but with a larger soundstage, very rich in details details but still musical. Something that sound noticeably better than my MacBook, otherwise I better have to listen from it. I'm maybe asking too much... I have also to precise that streaming is a plus and I can go without it, the sound is clearly my priority. My budget is until 1600 / 1700€ (cheaper the better of course).

Nicolas

If you want better sound, start by upgrading your headphones. That makes a much bigger difference than the DAC/amp, provided that the amp has enough power for the headphones.

May 14, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #36,471 of 42,765
I turn it to line level (pressed the two volume buttons while turning it on) and listen to some music on my stereo.
I turn the mojo off (pressed the power button for two seconds).
Then after a while, I turned it on pressing the power button for two seconds. I noticed that the volume buttons where still purple/blue indicating that it was still on line level mode.
What am I doing wrong?

Mojo remembers any volume setting, except line level.

It suggests that you have started up in line level, and then altered the volume just slightly by accident.

We all do this, on purpose if we use our Mojo for a lot of line level work. Start up in line level, and turn it down a click or two. Just so that the Mojo remembers that volume setting for the next time we want line level.

You should not have a problem. Just turn the Mojo down to your headphone listening level. Then next time you turn it on, it should be at headphone level.

May 14, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #36,472 of 42,765
If you want better sound, start by upgrading your headphones. That makes a much bigger difference than the DAC/amp, provided that the amp has enough power for the headphones.

I already know that, the fact is my iPhone X is not enough powerful to drive a Beyerdynamic T5p ver.2, nor an Audeze Sine through their classic jack connector (I tried it with the cypher iOS cable but it sounded a bit too slick and digital to me, I preferred the more organic sound coming from the Mojo + Poly playing on the SD card). I've tried the Mojo linked via USB to my 2016 Macbook and it sounded clearly inferior than my headphone connected straight from the computer. It looks like that the Mojo is outdated if you use the latest Apple stuff (I don't know for the other brands), it sounded clearly better with Poly but not really better than my Macbook Pro. So, I'm just looking for a portable device that has a noticeably better sound than my computer. Do you know any Dap that could drive some hungry headphones and sound better that the Mojo + Poly or MacBook Pro Touchbar? Does the 1500€ Astell & Kern, Hifiman, Sony.... DAPs sounds better? For the almost 1200€ of the Mojo+Poly, I expect something that sound better than the sound of my Macbook, on the go.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #36,473 of 42,765
I already know that, the fact is my iPhone X is not enough powerful to drive a Beyerdynamic T5p ver.2, nor an Audeze Sine through their classic jack connector (I tried it with the cypher iOS cable but it sounded a bit too slick and digital to me, I preferred the more organic sound coming from the Mojo + Poly playing on the SD card). I've tried the Mojo linked via USB to my 2016 Macbook and it sounded clearly inferior than my headphone connected straight from the computer. It looks like that the Mojo is outdated if you use the last Apple stuff (I don't for the other brands), it sounded clearly better with Poly but not really better than my Macbook Pro. So, I'm just looking for a portable device that has a noticeably better sound than my computer. Do you know any Dap that could drive some hungry headphones and sound better that the Mojo + Poly or MacBook Pro Touchbar. Does the 1500€ Astell & Kern, Hifiman, Sony.... DAPs sounds better?

The Mojo shouldn't sound significantly inferior to your computer. If that's the case, there seems to be a problem somewhere with your setup.

May 14, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #36,474 of 42,765
The Mojo shouldn't sound significantly inferior to your computer. If that's the case, there seems to be a problem somewhere with your setup.

Did you have the opportunity to compare the sounding of your headphone linked to the latest Macbook pro and your headphone connected to the Mojo and then your computer? My set up is really simple so I'm sure I didn't make any mistake. The Mojo alone has a slightly better, faster rhythm than my Macbook, but this last one has a way more open, full and luminous sounding.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #36,475 of 42,765
Did you have the opportunity to compare the sounding of your headphone linked to the latest Macbook pro and your headphone connected to the Mojo and then your computer? My set up is really simple so I'm sure I didn't make a mistake. The Mojo has a slighty better, faster rhythm than my Macbook, but this last one has a way more open, full and clear open sound.

I haven't. I've used the Mojo only with my iPhone and PCs. Best I can tell, it sounds the same with all of them.

May 14, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #36,476 of 42,765
Mojo remembers any volume setting, except line level.

It suggests that you have started up in line level, and then altered the volume just slightly by accident.

We all do this, on purpose if we use our Mojo for a lot of line level work. Start up in line level, and turn it down a click or two. Just so that the Mojo remembers that volume setting for the next time we want line level.

You should not have a problem. Just turn the Mojo down to your headphone listening level. Then next time you turn it on, it should be at headphone level.
I think I understand now.
When I turn on line level mode (pressing power button + 2 volume buttons at the same time), after turning it on, I click 4 times the minus volume so that the output level goes to 1,9V, to match my amplifier.
The mojo is remembering this settings, right?

May 14, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #36,477 of 42,765
I think I understand now.
When I turn on line level mode (pressing power button + 2 volume buttons at the same time), after turning it on, I click 4 times the minus volume so that the output level goes to 1,9V, to match my amplifier.
The mojo is remembering this settings, right?
Correct. The only time it doesn't remember line level mode is if you don't change anything after turning it on.

May 14, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #36,478 of 42,765
@nicolas7, The Q5 is both an amp and a DAC, in fact it has changeable amp modules and with what is supposed to be a really great Bluetooth implementation simply use your phone to stream. You are going to carry a phone anyway so unless your goal is a single, pocket carry only device, which likely it isn't if you were using a Mojo + Poly, the Q5 might be exactly what you are looking for and it should have no issue driving your T5p. I'm sure there are DAPs, but essentially your phone is a great streaming source anyway so the Q5, or another device might work for you, or not. Lots of different ways to approach your situation, but the best fit depends on your needs. So could you provide people a ranked list of what your needs and wishes are? That way people could give you suggestions that best match your end goals.

Edit: rereading your posts it seems that you do want a single source device. There are some pretty powerful DAPs available depending on what you mean by power hungry headphones though. DAPs aren't my thing so hopefully somebody else with more experience will chime in. Good luck.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #36,480 of 42,765
Did you have the opportunity to compare the sounding of your headphone linked to the latest Macbook pro and your headphone connected to the Mojo and then your computer? My set up is really simple so I'm sure I didn't make any mistake. The Mojo alone has a slightly better, faster rhythm than my Macbook, but this last one has a way more open, full and luminous sounding.

"Better" sound is a very subjective thing, and I am having difficulties imaginig what open, full and luminous sounds like.
The most obvious good sound characteristic of the Mojo for me is how it keeps complex music sharply focused. Like some powerful classic music with a big orchestra, where Mojo keeps each the individual elements clearly in focus both in terms of sound as well as soundstage.
The other characteristics are harder to describe and maybe also harder to appreciate. Mojo sounds very natural to me. Piano key strokes sound right, guitar, strings, trumpets, voices, just sound natural.
Not necessarily spectacular at first listen, but spectacularly clear and natural when listening for a longer period of time.

It takes time to get used to a specific signature.
Good source material and good headphones help a lot to hear it.
Keep trying a bit more, and if you still prefer the Macbook you have just saved yourself 500 bucks :)

For me, even the FIIO Q1 MKII sounded better than the Macbook pro 15" output, but that was a 2014 model...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back