Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 17, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #36,077 of 42,765
Will do. Is there any issue with charging while using it?
Yes. If you dig this thread you will find that nearly everyone which had a battery-failed Mojo used it connected to the wall constantly.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #36,078 of 42,765
Yes. If you dig this thread you will find that nearly everyone which had a battery-failed Mojo used it connected to the wall constantly.

Yikes. How common is the battery failure?

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #36,079 of 42,765
Yikes. How common is the battery failure?

There have been a few reports (maybe 20-30, off the top of my head), but this really needs to be considered in context of the fact that Mojo has sold several tens of thousands (this thread, alone, is approaching 4 million views!)

There is some advice on how best to treat the battery, in terms of charging, if you look near the bottom of post #3 in this thread.

It is less than ideal to leave Mojo plugged-in to a charger 24/7/365.

Additionally, if Mojo is substantially discharged, it is better to charge it BEFORE listening. That doesn't mean you can't charge whilst listening, but it's best not to make a regular habit of listening whilst re-charging from a deeply-discharged state, because Mojo tends to generate more heat when used in that way, and that's not ideal for longterm battery life.

Again, one really should keep all of this in context and in perspective. The number of battery failures are tiny, in comparison to the number of units sold, worldwide.

In the worst-case scenario, Chord will sell customers a new battery, so it's not an insurmountable problem.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #36,081 of 42,765
And not every Mojo owner is talking about their battery or any other issues here, that is a thing as well.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #36,083 of 42,765
I highly recommend you to charge the Mojo when it is not in use for the battery health.

But we said that if it's are full charged, plug it on the charger isn't an issue. I am right?

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #36,085 of 42,765
I own Mojo for 2 years and 3 months. This is quite a long time in this hobby to hold on to one product.
After 9 months I cooked my first Mojo's battery by using it 24/7 plugged in to charger. (That time I was told it is ok to keep it plugged in.)
I have been doing full cycles with my replacement Mojo for 18 months now, battery is still like new, easily does 8 hrs.

During this good two years I tried many of the popular DACs out of curiosity to see what they can offer against Mojo. iFi Nano BL, iFi Micro BL, OPPO HA2SE, Fiio Q5, (Hugo2).
The next DAC I will review is the new xDSD from iFi. I am really interested in trying it but have a strong feeling I will come to the same conclusion as before if we look at sound quality only.
The Micro BL, Q5, and probably the xDSD are not so far from Mojo. They offer a very nice high quality sound, but Mojo's magic is missing. The soundstage depth and the lifelikeness is exceptional on Chord's DACs. No other DACs are able to reproduce such a natural sounding voice and (especially acoustic) instruments. The magic of uniquely coded FPGA I guess.
You can find sparkier treble or tighter bass (that's harder) on other DACs, but none of them will be able to offer such a true to life experience. I keep looking, and some stuff comes near, but nothing made me want to swap Mojo even after 2 years and three months.
Bluetooth function for Mojo's price (without buying Poly) is quite appealing (Q5, xDSD). I imagine, some will be ready to make the small compromise on sound quality to ditch the wires. These DACs do offer a fun, quality and enjoyable sound. I however would miss this exceptional lifelikeness and naturalness of Mojo.

It is part of human nature to always look for the next thing. Not many is able to appreciate what they have. (Just look how often it pops up, people want Mojo 2 without understanding what level of engineering is behind Mojo.) I can accept, for some people the magic is not in a true to life sound presentation. They can find a punchier/bassier or more sparkly sounding DAC.
None of them will be as organic and natural though as Mojo is. To me everything else sounds artificial and I hate artificial things like plastic flowers.
Long live the Mojo and thanks to Rob! I still love this little black box with the colourful marbles. :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #36,086 of 42,765
But we said that if it's are full charged, plug it on the charger isn't an issue. I am right?
Yes. Even charging and using for short periods is fine as well. Just don't make it a habit, you will be fine.

If you wanna get the best out of the battery, don't use Mojo until all juice is gone. Turn it off when it is low and plug it to the wall. Charge it until it gets almost full. You will be fine even if you get it maxed but better if you can plug it off around 80-90%.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #36,087 of 42,765
I own Mojo for 2 years and 3 months. This is quite a long time in this hobby to hold on to one product.
After 9 months I cooked my first Mojo's battery by using it 24/7 plugged in to charger. (That time I was told it is ok to keep it plugged in.)
I have been doing full cycles with my replacement Mojo for 18 months now, battery is still like new, easily does 8 hrs.

During this good two years I tried many of the popular DACs out of curiosity to see what they can offer against Mojo. iFi Nano BL, iFi Micro BL, OPPO HA2SE, Fiio Q5, (Hugo2).
The next DAC I will review is the new xDSD from iFi. I am really interested in trying it but have a strong feeling I will come to the same conclusion as before if we look at sound quality only.
The Micro BL, Q5, and probably the xDSD are not so far from Mojo. They offer a very nice high quality sound, but Mojo's magic is missing. The soundstage depth and the lifelikeness is exceptional on Chord's DACs. No other DACs are able to reproduce such a natural sounding voice and (especially acoustic) instruments. The magic of uniquely coded FPGA I guess.
You can find sparkier treble or tighter bass (that's harder) on other DACs, but none of them will be able to offer such a true to life experience. I keep looking, and some stuff comes near, but nothing made me want to swap Mojo even after 2 years and three months.
Bluetooth function for Mojo's price (without buying Poly) is quite appealing (Q5, xDSD). I imagine, some will be ready to make the small compromise on sound quality to ditch the wires. These DACs do offer a fun, quality and enjoyable sound. I however would miss this exceptional lifelikeness and naturalness of Mojo.

It is part of human nature to always look for the next thing. Not many is able to appreciate what they have. (Just look how often it pops up, people want Mojo 2 without understanding what level of engineering is behind Mojo.) I can accept, for some people the magic is not in a true to life sound presentation. They can find a punchier/bassier or more sparkly sounding DAC.
None of them will be as organic and natural though as Mojo is. To me everything else sounds artificial and I hate artificial things like plastic flowers.
Long live the Mojo and thanks to Rob! I still love this little black box with the colourful marbles. :)

I think you would find Hugo 2 to be a significant step above Mojo, but of course the price is 5x. I have both and plan to keep both - Mojo is nice for a slightly less intense listening experience. I too like the marbles!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #36,088 of 42,765
I think you would find Hugo 2 to be a significant step above Mojo, but of course the price is 5X. I have both and plan to keep both - Mojo is nice for a slightly less intense listening experience.
Even if the the price is not an issue, mobility will be, for me at least.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #36,089 of 42,765
I think you would find Hugo 2 to be a significant step above Mojo, but of course the price is 5x. I have both and plan to keep both - Mojo is nice for a slightly less intense listening experience. I too like the marbles!
I agree. I had a chance to review Hugo 2. It is another world for 5x the price of Mojo.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #36,090 of 42,765
I would agree on Hugo2 I was blown away by the increased resolution in the music when using Mojo side by side same transport same songs. But it's way more and in my portable rig I am trying to get smaller not carry more. I charge my Mojo when it gets to flashing red on power light, it's usually about every 3 days with the amount of time I use it at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back