Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #35,342 of 42,765
Is it possible to power Mojo Using Uptone UltraCap LPS-1, if so which power Voltage should i use 3.3V or 5V or 7V?

Mojo is designed in accordance with the USB specs, which would be 5v.

However, it is not necessary to use a fancy power supply with Mojo, and the owner of Chord Electronics advises against it. Although I should clarify that John Franks was not explicitly discussing the LPS-1, it would still be wise to heed the following:

Hello. Does anybody have tried this external PSU. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152000419424
Does it really improves the sound greatly?
Or any other suggestions about external PSU for a home use?
Thanks in advance.

I cannot stress more firmly than this. I'm sorry for this my next response! Please do not use these external power supplies. If you do you maybe risking seriously damaging your Chord units and it will be on our shoulders to repair the mess they've caused. Companies that make these products are often not capable of analysing what they trying to achieve. Also the Companies producing these units will often propose that their power supplies can improve the performance of chords designs which is total nonsense. Therefore we strongly recomend you save your money and disregard the complete twaddle put about by these companies. After all had their engineering capabilities been good enough they would be producing complete products rather than just parisitising ours. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm annoyed it's because I am!

If you choose to ignore this advice, it is at your own risk, and could invalidate your Mojo warranty.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #35,343 of 42,765
Mojo is designed in accordance with the USB specs, which would be 5v.

However, it is not necessary to use a fancy power supply with Mojo, and the owner of Chord Electronics advises against it. Although I should clarify that John Franks was not explicitly discussing the LPS-1, it would still be wise to heed the following:

If you choose to ignore this advice, it is at your own risk, and could invalidate your Mojo warranty.

Thanks for your advice @Mython

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #35,344 of 42,765
After some weeks, maybe two months with Mojo, that's my feedback:

IN THE MAIN SPEAKERS RIG

Excellent performer, I sold my previous desktop DAC for the Mojo. Even it's not confortable for a stable use, the SQ is far better to every DAC I ever had. Dynamics are astonishing, the control of the bottom end is like I have a software of room correction without having one.

FOR HEADPHONE DAC/AMP

I dislike the pair with HD 650, I liked more the pair with AQ NightHawks and now I enjoy it VERY MUCH paired with my new AEON Flow Open. Everything is bold and well filled, detailed, musical.

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #35,345 of 42,765

IN THE MAIN SPEAKERS RIG

Excellent performer, I sold my previous desktop DAC for the Mojo. Even it's not confortable for a stable use, the SQ is far better to every DAC I ever had. Dynamics are astonishing, the control of the bottom end is like I have a software of room correction without having one.

FOR HEADPHONE DAC/AMP

I dislike the pair with HD 650, I liked more the pair with AQ NightHawks and now I enjoy it VERY MUCH paired with my new AEON Flow Open. Everything is bold and well filled, detailed, musical.

So, is the conclusion really that you don’t like the HD650s that much?

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #35,347 of 42,765

IN THE MAIN SPEAKERS RIG

FOR HEADPHONE DAC/AMP

Maybe a very dumb question, how can you connect your mojo to desktop amp?
3.5mm Male to 2RCA Male?
I just wonder if I do that amp will loss some sound quality, correct me if I am wrong.
I also think mojo is too good to be true I may purchase another one as desktop dac, however, lack of other connection always hesitate me.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #35,348 of 42,765
Maybe a very dumb question, how can you connect your mojo to desktop amp?
3.5mm Male to 2RCA Male?
I just wonder if I do that amp will loss some sound quality, correct me if I am wrong.
I also think mojo is too good to be true I may purchase another one as desktop dac, however, lack of other connection always hesitate me.

That's exactly what I do. Just get a reasonably good quality cable that splits the 3.5mm plug into L & R RCA plugs if your amp has RCA inputs. The Mojo make's a great DAC for home use with external amps IMO. When turning on your mojo with an external amp just hold down the volume up and down buttons and it will be preset to 3 Volts line out. If you need to reduce it just click down. 4 clicks down = 1.9 volts.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #35,349 of 42,765
Another Mojo battery failure. . .

My Mojo S/N M020441 will not turn on unless connected to an external power supply and when plugged in, doesn't seem to be charging the battery.

Mr. Franks stated on this forum that the battery service life of the Mojo's battery was expected to be 10 years. Based on that assertation, I decided to buy a Mojo despite my reluctance to purchase any expensive consumer electronics device with an internal, non-user serviceable battery.

(see Mr. Franks' post on this forum of Oct 28, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2702 of 35339)

I have contacted both Chord UK via their website contact form, the US distributor when referred by my initial contact, and now Tom Vaughan Chord UK Pro Audio and Manufacturing, all of whom declined to repair the Mojo since it was out of the one year warranty period. Instead I was told to contact one of the US repair facilities where it would cost me $160 USD for troubleshooting and a battery replacement, more if there were other or additional repairs needed. Mr Vaughan offered to sell me a battery at the cost of 70 UKP, delivered.

Mr. Franks if you're reading, I'm very disappointed in the lack of service I'm receiving from your company. Your assurances of battery life well beyond three years and your claim of ten year battery life would seem to constitute an implicit warranty to a reasonable person. The Mojo is not an inexpensive piece of audio equipment and premature battery failure would seem to me to be something you would want to investigate and correct, if not for continued good customer relations and standing behind your word and products, then at least to determine failure modes and to address them in parts procurement and manufacturing.

As it stands I now have a Mojo rendered unfit for its primary purpose, *portable* self-contained high-quality music.

I have to say that my experience with the Mojo and Chord customer support has made me reconsider future purchases of Chord Electronics products.

Steve Zettel

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #35,350 of 42,765
It pains me to say this, but I am definitely thinking of selling my MOJO before it dies... If the company is bragging about a 10 year life expectancy it should offer a 10 year warranty on the battery. Otherwise it should apologize for that claim and provide REAL information.

This is becoming a regular occurance.

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #35,352 of 42,765

IN THE MAIN SPEAKERS RIG

FOR HEADPHONE DAC/AMP

For me there is absolutely no comparison to my standalone home DAC. I admit though as a portable device for this cheap mojo is just amazing, but I prefer four digits gear.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #35,353 of 42,765
That's exactly what I do. Just get a reasonably good quality cable that splits the 3.5mm plug into L & R RCA plugs if your amp has RCA inputs. The Mojo make's a great DAC for home use with external amps IMO. When turning on your mojo with an external amp just hold down the volume up and down buttons and it will be preset to 3 Volts line out. If you need to reduce it just click down. 4 clicks down = 1.9 volts.

Me too, exactly, the same, but I leave the standard line-level output voltage and I use my previous rca to rca cable with a converter to 3,5mm by AudioQuest.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #35,354 of 42,765
It pains me to say this, but I am definitely thinking of selling my MOJO before it dies... If the company is bragging about a 10 year life expectancy it should offer a 10 year warranty on the battery. Otherwise it should apologize for that claim and provide REAL information.

This is becoming a regular occurance.

How many have actually reported battery issues after 6 months or more of regular usage (i.e., battery issue not manifesting itself right out of the box)? Is this really a reliability issue inside of three years for those with regular usage, or is this just a few pre-mature failures for some unlucky customers?

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #35,355 of 42,765
How many have actually reported battery issues after 6 months or more of regular usage (i.e., battery issue not manifesting itself right out of the box)? Is this really a reliability issue inside of three years for those with regular usage, or is this just a few pre-mature failures for some unlucky customers?

There's been a few recently, and the thing that kills me is that all of them find if basically impossible to get them fixed without spending a tonne of cash.

And this after you've already spent half a grand on a portable headphone amp.

It just seems ridiculous, and it seems like a risk not really worth taking... or rather... I'm beginning to feel that way.

I use my Mojo for work all the time and if it does I don't necessarily have money to buy a spare one while I spend the money to get the first one fixed. Nor the inclination.

It seems like a smarter move would be - for me - to buy easier to drive headphones for work, and an amp that runs on mains. And forget any notion of using it one the go.

That's what I'm thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back