1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
  1. onsionsi
    Is it possible to power Mojo Using Uptone UltraCap LPS-1, if so which power Voltage should i use 3.3V or 5V or 7V?

2. Mython Contributor

Mojo is designed in accordance with the USB specs, which would be 5v.

However, it is not necessary to use a fancy power supply with Mojo, and the owner of Chord Electronics advises against it. Although I should clarify that John Franks was not explicitly discussing the LPS-1, it would still be wise to heed the following:

If you choose to ignore this advice, it is at your own risk, and could invalidate your Mojo warranty.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. onsionsi
    Thanks for your advice @Mython

4. RiseFall123
    After some weeks, maybe two months with Mojo, that's my feedback:

IN THE MAIN SPEAKERS RIG

Excellent performer, I sold my previous desktop DAC for the Mojo. Even it's not confortable for a stable use, the SQ is far better to every DAC I ever had. Dynamics are astonishing, the control of the bottom end is like I have a software of room correction without having one.

FOR HEADPHONE DAC/AMP

I dislike the pair with HD 650, I liked more the pair with AQ NightHawks and now I enjoy it VERY MUCH paired with my new AEON Flow Open. Everything is bold and well filled, detailed, musical.

surfgeorge, Deftone and YtseJamer like this.
  5. jarnopp
    So, is the conclusion really that you don’t like the HD650s that much?

6. RiseFall123
    I liked when paired to my previous desktop dac.

7. baiyy1986
    Maybe a very dumb question, how can you connect your mojo to desktop amp?
    3.5mm Male to 2RCA Male?
    I just wonder if I do that amp will loss some sound quality, correct me if I am wrong.
    I also think mojo is too good to be true I may purchase another one as desktop dac, however, lack of other connection always hesitate me.

8. fordski
    That's exactly what I do. Just get a reasonably good quality cable that splits the 3.5mm plug into L & R RCA plugs if your amp has RCA inputs. The Mojo make's a great DAC for home use with external amps IMO. When turning on your mojo with an external amp just hold down the volume up and down buttons and it will be preset to 3 Volts line out. If you need to reduce it just click down. 4 clicks down = 1.9 volts.

cathee and baiyy1986 like this.
  9. zettelsm
    Another Mojo battery failure. . .

My Mojo S/N M020441 will not turn on unless connected to an external power supply and when plugged in, doesn't seem to be charging the battery.

Mr. Franks stated on this forum that the battery service life of the Mojo's battery was expected to be 10 years. Based on that assertation, I decided to buy a Mojo despite my reluctance to purchase any expensive consumer electronics device with an internal, non-user serviceable battery.

(see Mr. Franks' post on this forum of Oct 28, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2702 of 35339)

I have contacted both Chord UK via their website contact form, the US distributor when referred by my initial contact, and now Tom Vaughan Chord UK Pro Audio and Manufacturing, all of whom declined to repair the Mojo since it was out of the one year warranty period. Instead I was told to contact one of the US repair facilities where it would cost me $160 USD for troubleshooting and a battery replacement, more if there were other or additional repairs needed. Mr Vaughan offered to sell me a battery at the cost of 70 UKP, delivered.

Mr. Franks if you're reading, I'm very disappointed in the lack of service I'm receiving from your company. Your assurances of battery life well beyond three years and your claim of ten year battery life would seem to constitute an implicit warranty to a reasonable person. The Mojo is not an inexpensive piece of audio equipment and premature battery failure would seem to me to be something you would want to investigate and correct, if not for continued good customer relations and standing behind your word and products, then at least to determine failure modes and to address them in parts procurement and manufacturing.

As it stands I now have a Mojo rendered unfit for its primary purpose, *portable* self-contained high-quality music.

I have to say that my experience with the Mojo and Chord customer support has made me reconsider future purchases of Chord Electronics products.

Steve Zettel

10. TimeSnow
    It pains me to say this, but I am definitely thinking of selling my MOJO before it dies... If the company is bragging about a 10 year life expectancy it should offer a 10 year warranty on the battery. Otherwise it should apologize for that claim and provide REAL information.

This is becoming a regular occurance.

11. baiyy1986
    Does hugo also has battery problem or just mojo?
    Just curious.

12. Tennessee
    For me there is absolutely no comparison to my standalone home DAC. I admit though as a portable device for this cheap mojo is just amazing, but I prefer four digits gear.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  13. RiseFall123
    Me too, exactly, the same, but I leave the standard line-level output voltage and I use my previous rca to rca cable with a converter to 3,5mm by AudioQuest.

14. Father Schu
    How many have actually reported battery issues after 6 months or more of regular usage (i.e., battery issue not manifesting itself right out of the box)? Is this really a reliability issue inside of three years for those with regular usage, or is this just a few pre-mature failures for some unlucky customers?

15. TimeSnow
    There's been a few recently, and the thing that kills me is that all of them find if basically impossible to get them fixed without spending a tonne of cash.

And this after you've already spent half a grand on a portable headphone amp.

It just seems ridiculous, and it seems like a risk not really worth taking... or rather... I'm beginning to feel that way.

I use my Mojo for work all the time and if it does I don't necessarily have money to buy a spare one while I spend the money to get the first one fixed. Nor the inclination.

It seems like a smarter move would be - for me - to buy easier to drive headphones for work, and an amp that runs on mains. And forget any notion of using it one the go.

That's what I'm thinking.