Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #35,357 of 42,765
There's been a few recently, and the thing that kills me is that all of them find if basically impossible to get them fixed without spending a tonne of cash.

And this after you've already spent half a grand on a portable headphone amp.

It just seems ridiculous, and it seems like a risk not really worth taking... or rather... I'm beginning to feel that way.

I use my Mojo for work all the time and if it does I don't necessarily have money to buy a spare one while I spend the money to get the first one fixed. Nor the inclination.

It seems like a smarter move would be - for me - to buy easier to drive headphones for work, and an amp that runs on mains. And forget any notion of using it one the go.

That's what I'm thinking.

I have not had any issues myself but it is concerning if someone else has over 2-3 years and now has to pay a third of the cost for a replacement. I feel for the guy.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #35,358 of 42,765
Tried this out with my B&W PX headphones, heard no difference in quality with and without the Mojo. I see a lot of people saying it improves SQ or does something, maybe I dont have the hearing for it. I cant tell the difference between 128kbps vs flac in general. Only lower than 128kbps I notice bad quality. I guess if you are similar to me dont bother buying one.

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #35,359 of 42,765
Tried this out with my B&W PX headphones, heard no difference in quality with and without the Mojo. I see a lot of people saying it improves SQ or does something, maybe I dont have the hearing for it. I cant tell the difference between 128kbps vs flac in general. Only lower than 128kbps I notice bad quality. I guess if you are similar to me dont bother buying one.

I would use 320kps if you're in to mp3 and try the Mojo on its own for one full week then go back to your phone or whatever you are using.
If you still cant hear a difference after that then just get some $20 iems, play your 128kps mp3s, enjoy a chunky wallet and be happy that you didnt fall in to the rabbit hole

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #35,363 of 42,765
Tried this out with my B&W PX headphones, heard no difference in quality with and without the Mojo.

I don't think with such headphone someone will be able to spot any differences.

Will a standard tosslink fit the Mojo?

I never checked, I can use a standard optical cable from TV to Mojo?

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #35,364 of 42,765
I don't think with such headphone someone will be able to spot any differences.

Why would you say that? Have you owned the P7 or heard it? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but many people make the completely baseless assumption that only very expensive headphones are capable of revealing all the details in music, which is silly. The P7 is perfectly capable of revealing the full dynamic range of music and the sound signature itself I'm sure would not prevent it from being a suitable tool as per the OPs point. I owned the P7W and thought it was quite a nice headphone. I am just pushing back at the notion that people have to spend offensive amounts of money to hear these special musical qualities that are lost with affordable headphones. I would have to see a very well reasoned argument supported by technical information before I could accept that (in this case) the P7 is not up to the task. Seems like a really big claim that requires some evidence to substantiate.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #35,365 of 42,765
Why would you say that? Have you owned the P7 or heard it? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but many people make the completely baseless assumption that only very expensive headphones are capable of revealing all the details in music, which is silly. The P7 is perfectly capable of revealing the full dynamic range of music and the sound signature itself I'm sure would not prevent it from being a suitable tool as per the OPs point. I owned the P7W and thought it was quite a nice headphone. I am just pushing back at the notion that people have to spend offensive amounts of money to hear these special musical qualities that are lost with affordable headphones. I would have to see a very well reasoned argument supported by technical information before I could accept that (in this case) the P7 is not up to the task. Seems like a really big claim that requires some evidence to substantiate.
I’m always interested in people opinions regarding inexpensive ways to experience something special with music.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #35,366 of 42,765
I think what he says is P7 don't need a DAC/amp combo to push it's potential, I used to own a pair of P7 also still have a pair of HD598, I also can't tell the difference when using mojo.
I hear some slight difference using a tube amp, but that is a different story.
Again It is not about price, it is the feature of the headphone.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #35,367 of 42,765
I’m always interested in people opinions regarding inexpensive ways to experience something special with music.
I share your interest. Not that I am against very expensive gear, not at all. I think if I had the disposable income, I would spend quite extravagantly. That said, when I have purchased more expensive gear, when I consider the law of diminishing returns I believe that the very best return on investment where audio reproduction is concerned (subjectivity and preference taken into account of course) is found with more affordable gear. A well done headphone at let's say $300 for the sake of example is quite capable of providing excellent audio reproduction and climbing the food chain of audio gear to say a $3000 headphone as I am sure you and everybody in this community knows, does not bring with it a 10 fold increase in audio reproduction quality.

Anyway, I'm being a broken record here, but I have found well thought out and matched middle of the pack gear is really capable and for me unquestionably yields the best audio return on investment. The stratospheric gear is for the wealthy among us and I am happy for those who go that route, sadly that does not describe my reality, but I am totally fine with that. Cheers.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #35,368 of 42,765
I think what he says is P7 don't need a DAC/amp combo to push it's potential, I used to own a pair of P7 also still have a pair of HD598, I also can't tell the difference when using mojo.
I hear some slight difference using a tube amp, but that is a different story.
Again It is not about price, it is the feature of the headphone.
Perhaps, I had considered that possibility, but it did seem to be coming from another perspective, but no matter really. Cheers.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #35,369 of 42,765

You wrote “PX” and I found a Bluetooth hp...

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #35,370 of 42,765
You wrote “PX” and I found a Bluetooth hp...
My bad. I am still a little confused about what you were trying to say mate, so if I was totally off my apology. I did briefly own the PX and only returned it due to a slight comfort issue. I am actually considering trying it again as I did rather like the PX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back