Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #35,101 of 42,765
l
tommas try beyer dt880 250ohm or 32 ohm premium home edition. fits your budget and excellent with german engineering. I have dt880 600ohm and when used with Hugo 2 still sounded fantastic. open and airy great for jazz/female vocals

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I completely forgot to consider the Beyers!

Anyway, right now you can find pretty good deals for the Audeze isine10 in ebay (uk). I am quite a bit curious about these fancy planar-magnetic earphones, and I was wandering if the theoretical pairing would work well.
ps: 165£ new!
Have you guys ever tried?

Tom

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #35,102 of 42,765
Yeah, DACs definitely CAN sound different, because the conversion to analogue. It's done differently and with different components, made with different degrees of tolerance, etc.

BUT

They should probably NOT sound so different that you can't stand one and think another changes the way you hear everything.

Amps on the other hand....

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #35,103 of 42,765
don't risk buying unbelievable deals on ebay. item delivered in plain box stuff. be careful here

I think badly implemented dacs can sound awful. a great sounding dac can definitely transform the way you listen. price is not necessarily a determining factor

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #35,105 of 42,765
ask yourself how can they sell a product which is sold everywhere for 400 for 150??

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #35,107 of 42,765
oh..i did not want to see a fellow headfier get a bad deal from ebay. with regards to iem I have little experience. I doubt very much they would equal the beyers though. unless you need portable iem's of course

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #35,109 of 42,765
Listen.. There s no audible differences between dacs.. Buy some on amazon so you can a/b.. And then tell me if i am not right....

I would bet my house that Rob Watts could tell the difference rather quickly; especially since he is more sensitive than any of us to timing errors and would spot the difference right away.

If you think there is no difference I suggest you buy a schiit modi/magni, logout of the forums, and continue living in your bubble

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #35,110 of 42,765
check out HUGO2!!!:o2smile:

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #35,111 of 42,765
I would bet my house that Rob Watts could tell the difference

I'm not sure whether Rob would chuckle or combust at hearing 'all Dacs sound the same'. Just think, DAVE and a phones internal DAC, yep, same sound quality.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #35,113 of 42,765
:beerchug:blu2 into dave and dragonfly black:beerchug:

Stop it! I've got a bad throat, and now a laughter fit :)

Those poor soles who have spent sixteen grand, and could have got identical for £100 quid!

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #35,114 of 42,765
I would bet my house that Rob Watts could tell the difference rather quickly; especially since he is more sensitive than any of us to timing errors and would spot the difference right away.

If you think there is no difference I suggest you buy a schiit modi/magni, logout of the forums, and continue living in your bubble

I don't think I am more sensitive than any of us - but I guess lots of listening tests have fine tuned my sensitivity.
For example, on my flight to Las Vegas to CES on Friday, I spent much of the flight listening to music on Hugo 2. And it was sounding rather soft and out of focus - and I guessed that my hearing was off - maybe getting a cold - anyway, towards the end of the flight I discovered the Hugo 2 filter had been set been set to orange, rather than my usual green - so back to green and everything snapped into focus. To me it is not a small difference at all - it is immediate and easy to hear. But this is a relatively subtle change technically - switching out the 256FS WTA filter makes the starting and stopping of notes much more diffuse.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #35,115 of 42,765

I'm not sure whether Rob would chuckle or combust at hearing 'all Dacs sound the same'. Just think, DAVE and a phones internal DAC, yep, same sound quality.

All DAC's sound the same, and of course reproduced audio is identical to the sound of live unamplified orchestras... Boy my life would be a lot easier if both those statements were true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back